Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

RECIPE: Yeast biscuits

flowergirl70ks
16 years ago

Years ago I was in Kentucky visiting and the lady there made biscuits. They were so darn good, I would love to know how to make them. It was a dough she kept in the refrigerator and had yeast in it. Thats all I have to go on.

Comments (14)

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Flowergirl, here is my recipe.......came from a friend in SC so it may well be the same one.
    Angel Biscuits
    5-6 c flour
    1pk yeast+2 T warm water
    1/4c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp baking soda
    1T+1 tsp baking powder
    1 c Crisco
    2 c buttermilk
    Combine 3c flour,sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder. Cut in Crisco until size of small peas. Add yeast that has been softened in warm water and buttermilk. Stir all well and knead in enough flour to make a nice soft dough that forms a ball and holds together. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate til needed. When ready to bake`, roll dough until about 3/4" thick, cut with biscuit cutter and bake in preheated 400° oven until nicely browned. Dough does not need to rise before baking.
    Gee Whiz fact-I let the dough set on a floured board after adding most of the flour for 10 minutes covered with a towel and it kneads easier. And too, you may not need all of the flour.

RL`

• lindac
    16 years ago

I made these tonight....Yummy!!!
    Linda C

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Roselin, I made them and I think it's the right one. Delicious.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

I'm going to have to try that recipe, it sounds intriguing.

On the subject of biscuits...just a little trick I read about somewhere and haven't seen since, to get your regular(non yeast) biscuits to rise high and light.

Put a tablespoon or two (depending on how many biscuits you're making, 6 or 8/10 or 12) of Crisco in a black iron fry pan and heat it in a 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes. (Just about long enough to mix the dough and cut the biscuits!)

Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the oven temp to whatever your recipe calls for.

When you put the biscuits in the pan, quickly turn them over so that the top is coated with the Crisco. You'll see them start to rise almost immediately.

Then bake according to your recipe instructions, but check them a few minutes before they're meant to be done as the initial "searing" tends to shorten the baking time.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Flowergirl,
    Glad to hear it. When I first tried to make biscuits, they came out like communion wafers; second time they were beautiful but not cooked all the way through so decided my husband would have to learn to love muffins which I COULD make. Then my friend, Jan gave me the recipe for the Angel Biscuits and I keep a bag of the dough in the refrig most all the time.
    Rachellen, wonder if your tip would work with these biscuits since they have the yeast in them. If you try it, let us know, will you?
    RL`

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

How long does this dough last in the 'fridge?

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Yes, I will try them without first. Then try them with that step and see what the difference might be. But I never made a decent biscuit until I read this tip...they tasted o.k. but could double as hockey pucks. Yeast might make the difference without the fat-singed fingers from turning the biscuits over in the hot pan! :D

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Westelle, I keep it about 4-5 days and after that they taste like sourdough biscuits.
    RL`

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's only one thing wrong with this recipe--I'm trying to loose the 12 pounds from the previous year. I made them for company and all had to have the recipe.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I also use butter instead of crisco in the recipe....
    And if perchance, there would be one or 2 left over....they are wonderful split and lightly toasted in a toaster oven...with more butter....and strawberry jam!!
    Linda C

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used butter crisco--leftovers?

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Way to go, Flowergirl........no matter what I am cooking, if there are angel biscuits on the table to my husband, it is a gourmet meal........I love them with butter and honey.
    Know what you mean about the weight thing though.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, that's the biggest problem with baking your own bread of any kind! I went through a period where I baked all my own and had to quit because I couldn't control my lust when it came out of the oven, after smelling it rising and then baking. Half a loaf of bread, dripping with butter just isn't the most reasonable snack in the world. :D

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Years ago, when we still lived on the farm I made all our bread. it usually came out of the oven about the time the school bus pulled in the yard. Then my husband and the hired man showed up too. It put a big dent in my bread I'll tell you. I eventually had to quit baking bread, we were all putting on weight.
    Now about those pounds I put on last year, I have to blame that on ice cream every night. I have been spending 30 minutes on the treadmill every day so far this year and hope I can shed a few pounds. I'd rather walk outside, but too much inclement weather here now.
    I really enjoy this recipe forum and have used a lot of recipes I got from here.Keep them coming!!!