Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Alexa's Robust Cheese Toasts

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 18:44

I see that Woodie made this for NY Eve...can someone post the recipe?

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Alexa's Robust Cheese Toasts

Here you go, Sue.

Robust Onion Cheese Toast

1 cup mayonnaise
1 package cream cheese, softened
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons minced onion
teaspoon minced garlic
teaspoon hot pepper sauce
teaspoon white pepper
1 loaf sliced cocktail rye bread

Combine mayo, cream cheese, blue cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper sauce and white pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours to let flavors blend. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Spread 2 teaspoons mixture on each slice of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to serve.
To Serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover baking sheet and bake 10 15 minutes until toasts are puffy and slightly brown.

o

Here you go Sue. Alexa served these too us when we were at her home for lunch. They are very tasty!

Robust Onion Cheese Toast

1 cup mayonnaise

1 package cream cheese, softened

4 oz blue cheese, crumbled

2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

2 tablespoons minced onion

teaspoon minced garlic

teaspoon hot pepper sauce

teaspoon white pepper

1 loaf sliced cocktail rye bread

Combine mayo, cream cheese, blue cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper sauce and white pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours to let flavors blend. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.

Spread 2 teaspoons mixture on each slice of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to serve.
To Serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover baking sheet and bake 10 15 minutes until toasts are puffy and slightly brown.

o

Sounds wonderful. Is it the 8 oz. size of cream cheese?

o

I used the 8 ounce cream cheese, Ysop - I think you can use whatever you have on hand - it seems to be one of those recipes that's very forgiving and flexible if you don't have the exact measurement - I just plopped everything in the bowl and didn't measure and then I added in some hot red pepper flakes too. They were good, everybody loved them.

Just FYI - here's another type of 'toast' recipe that's excellent - I bake mine and don't broil them.

Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 11:41
World's easiest and yummiest hor d'oeuvres. I made these last year for Christmas and New Year's. They disappear as soon as they are out of the oven.

Onion toasts

3/4 cup chopped sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
1/2 cup mayonnaise
14 slices party (cocktail) rye or pumpernickel bread
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan

Preheat broiler. Stir together onion and mayonnaise. Arrange bread slices in 1 layer on a baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat until lightly toasted (watch carefully). Remove from oven and turn toasts over. Spread evenly with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese and freshly ground pepper.

Broil hors doeuvres until topping is bubbling and lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to prevent burning).

I experimented with additions--only one of the following, not all--sliced green olive, fresh oregano, paprika, cayenne.

Serve warm.
Gourmet magazine.

o

Oh my....thank you...oh, and my hips thank you too.

Sue

o

Thanks,Woodie2.

o

You're welcome, Ysop, and FYI - if you have any leftover mixture in the fridge its good cold on crackers or as a dip for pretzels! (Its a big favorite in this house.)

o

I make one with goat cheese-Chevre- but most will work, spread on sliced and toasted baguettes, pop into a 450 or 500 oven until melty and top with a bit of marinated sun dried tomatoes or sun dried tomato pesto.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here