Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

LOOKING for: Alexa's Robust Cheese Toasts

cookingrvc
16 years ago

I see that Woodie made this for NY Eve...can someone post the recipe?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Sue

Comments (8)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Here you go, Sue.

Robust Onion Cheese Toast

1 cup mayonnaise
    1 package cream cheese, softened
    4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
    2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    ½ teaspoon minced garlic
    ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    ½ teaspoon white pepper
    1 loaf sliced cocktail rye bread

Combine mayo, cream cheese, blue cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper sauce and white pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours to let flavors blend. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
    Spread 2 teaspoons mixture on each slice of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to serve.
    To Serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover baking sheet and bake 10 Â 15 minutes until toasts are puffy and slightly brown.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Here you go Sue. Alexa served these too us when we were at her home for lunch. They are very tasty!

Robust Onion Cheese Toast

1 cup mayonnaise

1 package cream cheese, softened

4 oz blue cheese, crumbled

2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

2 tablespoons minced onion

½ teaspoon minced garlic

½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce

½ teaspoon white pepper

1 loaf sliced cocktail rye bread

Combine mayo, cream cheese, blue cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, pepper sauce and white pepper. Cover and chill for 2 hours to let flavors blend. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.

Spread 2 teaspoons mixture on each slice of bread and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic and chill until ready to serve.
    To Serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover baking sheet and bake 10 Â 15 minutes until toasts are puffy and slightly brown.

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Is it the 8 oz. size of cream cheese?

• woodie
    16 years ago

I used the 8 ounce cream cheese, Ysop - I think you can use whatever you have on hand - it seems to be one of those recipes that's very forgiving and flexible if you don't have the exact measurement - I just plopped everything in the bowl and didn't measure and then I added in some hot red pepper flakes too. They were good, everybody loved them.

Just FYI - here's another type of 'toast' recipe that's excellent - I bake mine and don't broil them.

Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 11:41
    World's easiest and yummiest hor d'oeuvres. I made these last year for Christmas and New Year's. They disappear as soon as they are out of the oven.

Onion toasts

3/4 cup chopped sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    14 slices party (cocktail) rye or pumpernickel bread
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan

Preheat broiler. Stir together onion and mayonnaise. Arrange bread slices in 1 layer on a baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat until lightly toasted (watch carefully). Remove from oven and turn toasts over. Spread evenly with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese and freshly ground pepper.

Broil hors dÂoeuvres until topping is bubbling and lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to prevent burning).

I experimented with additions--only one of the following, not all--sliced green olive, fresh oregano, paprika, cayenne.

Serve warm.
    Gourmet magazine.

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my....thank you...oh, and my hips thank you too.

Sue

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

Thanks,Woodie2.

• woodie
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Ysop, and FYI - if you have any leftover mixture in the fridge its good cold on crackers or as a dip for pretzels! (Its a big favorite in this house.)

• compumom
    16 years ago

I make one with goat cheese-Chevre- but most will work, spread on sliced and toasted baguettes, pop into a 450 or 500 oven until melty and top with a bit of marinated sun dried tomatoes or sun dried tomato pesto.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm