Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharburk

RECIPE: Is this correct?

sharburk
17 years ago

I saw Paula Deen make these ribs on her show last week and they looked delicious. More or less the way I would probably cook them, but thought I would follow her recipe. She says "1/2 cup" of House Seasoning, which she lists at the bottom.. Wouldn't that be too much salt? I've done so little cooking the last few years that I'm beginning to question everything I make now.. I used to cook ALL of the time, but things have changed (kids grew up) and I'm not feeling that competent in the kitchen anymore. I need help! SharB

Short Ribs Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

See this recipe on air Wednesday Jan. 24 at 1:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Paula's Home Cooking

Episode: Deen Family Cook-Off

3 pounds short ribs

1/2 cup House Seasoning, recipe follows

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Oil

2 cloves garlic, chopped, plus 2 more cloves chopped

Water

Beef Broth, plus more for roasting

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 onion, sliced

White rice, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season ribs using House Seasoning. Lightly dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

In a Dutch oven, place a small amount of oil. Add the 2 garlic cloves and cook until lightly browned. Add the ribs and brown on each side. Add half water and half beef broth to cover ribs. Bring to a boil. Remove the ribs from the Dutch oven and place in a casserole dish. Add the remaining garlic, salt and pepper, onions, and about 1 cup broth to the ribs. Roast ribs for 2 hours. Serve over buttered white rice.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Comments (7)

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

That is probably what she used for 3 lbs. ribs, but it would be way too much for me too. I say give them a nice liberal sprinkle before browning the ribs and then finish the recipe. You can always sample one rib and see if it needs additional seasoning.

Teresa

• woodie
    17 years ago

It would be WAY too much salt for my taste, but I am quite used to low salt foods. I looked up the house seasoning recipe on another website just to see if there was a typo but no, that is the correct amount of salt. I would just sprinkle it on lightly.

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

My guess is that that is a typo in the recipe and should be 1/2 tsp.. There's no way anyone would want 1/3Cup of salt on 3 lbs of short ribs.

Nancy

• sharburk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll make them tomorrow.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I would not make that recipe...it's just salt pepper garlic and garlic powder...and more salt and pepper...and some beef broth and water...
    No flavor but garlic and salt and pepper. and lots and lots of salt.
    Essentially what that recipe says to do is to season the ribs with a seasoning blend that is a cup of salt, 1/4 cu[p pepper and 1/4 cup garlic powder....then cover with a mix of beef broth add water and bring to a boil....then ( notice it doesn't say to cook) remove them to a casserole, add sliced onions, roasted garlic, add more salt and pepper anbd a cup of broth and roast for 2 hours....and serve over rice?? Like there would be a sauce? Do you use a lid? What happens to the water and broth you used to cover the ribs before you brought them to a boil?
    I think she's got something mixed up in there....I sure wouldn't be wasting my time nor any ribs with that recipe.
    Linda C

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

I suspect the recipe is correct; that much rub would be normal, although that much salt is, like others said, too much for me! Most of the salt is going to be lost to the broth, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't make this recipe; as a previous poster said, there isn't much flavor added and plain ribs don't appeal to me. But, sometimes simple dishes are great -- would be curious to hear if you tried it and how it turned out.

• sharburk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had forgotten that I had set my Tivo that day and had the show recorded. I watched it again as she sprinkled about 1/2 teaspoon of her "house seasoning" on the short ribs, NOT 1/2 cup. I made this recipe this week and it was delicious. Full of flavor. My husband loved this. I did not cook the garlic first as felt it would burn by the time I got the short ribs browned, so added a couple of cloves when the ribs were almost done browning. Then added the beef broth and water, as Paula said, not too much. Then put the ribs into a casserole dish, added two more fresh garlic cloves chopped on the top along with a cut up onion and quite a bit of the broth, but not covering the ribs, and added a cover to the pot. I put in oven for a little over 2 hours. The broth was so deep brown, lots of flavor and the short ribs so tender.. Great recipe.

Lindac, no I didn't cook it at all on top of the stove. Just added the liquid to get up all the stuff on the bottom of the pot. Then added most of it to the casserole on top of the meat, but did not cover the meat with the broth. It is a "comfort dish"... Yes, you cover it and yes there is broth as it makes more as it cooks.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County