Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuscatie

RECIPE: Veggies for Husband

cactuscatie
13 years ago

I am so happy that my husband decided to start eating healthy in 2011. However, we have problems already. He is not a big veggie eater - only string beans, corn, peas, carrots, black beans and lima beans if mixed with other veggies. He is tired of the same old steamed veggies. Can anyone give me suggestions on how I can make veggies for him that are different, tasty but also healthy. Thanks everyone.

Comments (15)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here are a few ideas.....good luck!

corn and baby limas cooked in chicken broth = succotash

black beans - soup, salad, added to chili

green beans cooked with small red skin potatoes

corn - chowder, corn pudding, in Mexican corn bread

peas - peas and cheese salad, marinated bean salad with peas, creamed peas and new potatoes

carrots - marinated carrots (Copper Pennies), carrots vichy, spiced carrot salad

I can post some of these recipes later on this evening.
    Teresa

• papanda
    13 years ago

Oven roasting almost any veggie really tastes good. Cover with a little olive oil, S&P and roast @ 400 degrees, turning once, until done. The smaller you cut the veggies, the shorter the cooking time.

• woodie
    13 years ago

I am a big fan of roasting veggies too. Here are two favorite recipes.

Rosemary-Roasted Carrot Fries
    Cindy Mac

3 or 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
    2-3 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    coarse salt
    2-3 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary

Toss carrot sticks with olive oil, then add sugar, salt, and rosemary. Place on foil-lined tray and bake at 425� for 20 minutes.

Roasted Green Beans with Garlic
    1� pound fresh green beans
    1 small head garlic
    � cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt 4
    Fresh ground pepper to taste
    1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
    � cup grated Parmesan cheese

Wash, trim and dry green beans. Position oven rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 450� (425� if using dark pan) and place a baking sheet in the oven. Peel each garlic clove and cut each into 4 pieces. Place green beans in a large bowl along with garlic, oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat evenly and pour onto hot baking sheet in a single layer. Roast beans for 10 minutes, stir and continue to roast another 5 minutes if beans are slim and another 10 minutes if beans are thick. Remove to serving dish and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan cheese

• User
    13 years ago

check out our recipes

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I made woodie2's Roasted Green Beans with Garlic. Also, from joann_fla's link, I made the Vegetable Casserole. Both recipes my husband liked.

teresa_nc7, I like your suggestions. Out of all of them my husband would like the green beams with red potatoes.

papanda, thank you for your suggestion to roast.

• sharon_fl
    13 years ago

1 pkg frozen Fordhook Lima Beans
    1 tiny glass jar of diced pimentos
    1/2 cup diced sweet onion
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 stick of butter
    Cook the limas per package directions...while they're cooking:
    In a saute pan..melt the butter & saute the onion & pimento until tender. Add the onion mixture to the drained beans & gently fold in the sour cream & add S&P. DELISH!!!

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sharon_fl, I made the lima beans yesterday using fat free sour cream. Husband loved them and I thought they were delicious and I don't usually like lima beans. Thanks a bunch for the recipe.

• woodie
    13 years ago

I'm glad your husband enjoyed some of the new recipes! Here's another that you can mix and match up, just for something different. Maybe you can sneak in something new for him, since he has seemed so receptive to the new ones right now!

Marinated Vegetable Salad

5 cups assorted vegetables, cut in bite size pieces
    (cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, radishes, asparagus, green beans)

MARINADE:
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (can use 1/2 vinegar)
    1/2 cup oil
    2 T sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp oregano

Combine marinade ingredients, pour over the vegetables and toss gently.
    Refrigerate for at least 6 hours to combine flavors.

Servings: 8

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Woodie, are the vegetables in the salad raw or blanched or steamed lightly?

Teresa

• woodie
    13 years ago

Hi Teresa, I use raw veggies but of course blanching would be an option but my preference is raw. This recipe is from Cindy5NY and I neglected to give her the proper credit! (Sorry Cindy.) She served this to us when we had lunch one time at her house along with some great paninis and I have made it twice since.

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

woodie, this veggie marinade is delicious. I used the 3-4 veggies that husband likes and added small pieces of mushroom. He managed to pick the mushrooms out, but said he liked the marinade.

I am making today with all the veggies I like, which is all of them. Thanks for posting and thanks also to Cindy.

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

Hi catie,

The Cooking Forum had a thread this week about simple vegetable side dishes. There are some really good ideas in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: A thread for simple veggie side dishes

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks kathleenca for the link. It's a great thread. I found so many helpful ideas.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

The healthiest vegetables are greens--kale, collards, chard, etc. Try tossing them into soups and bean dishes.

• sharon_fl
    13 years ago

Glad your hubs liked the limas! My kids & young grands all love this dish too! Here's another one I am so hooked on!

SQUASH & SWEET PEA STUFFING
    4 small acorn squash-cut in half & remove seeds)
    1/4-1/3 cup water
    1TBS olive oil
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced sweet onion
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 (16 oz) pkg Baby Sweet peas..(frozen)
    1 TBS cornstarch
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    2Tsp honey
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/3 cup craisins
    In 9x13 pan..place squash upside dowm. Add water & bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-35 min-or till tender. Set aside.

In med. saucepan..heat olive oil. Add celery & onions-cook 5 min or till tender. Add OJ & peas, cook 5 min., stir frequently.

Whisk cornstarch & chicken broth till smooth...then add to the pea mixture. Remove from heat & add the honey, S&P, and craisins.

Scoop mixture into each squash & serve.