Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

LOOKING for: Pina Colada Cheesecase (specific recipe)

party_music50
14 years ago

In the early 80s, we subscribed to Cuisine magazine and then Gourmet magazine, but I think the recipe I'm looking for was originally published in Cuisine:

a fireman had given his recipe for Pina Colada Cheesecase. I'm searching through old magazines and on-line and I cannot locate his recipe. :(

I remember it calling for 5 pkgs of cream cheese, eggs, crushed pineapple, coconut (not cream of coconut), rum flavoring... perhaps sour cream too.

Does anyone have that recipe??? It would be perfect for an upcoming event!

Comments (10)

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about this one, It looks close?

Pina Colada Cheesecake With Coco-Nut Crust
    1 hours : 20 min prep
    SERVES 8 -10

Coco Nut Crust
    1 1/2-2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 cup ground toasted brazil nut or ground toasted filbert nut
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup butter, melted, cooled to room temperature

Cheesecake
    2 1/4 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature
    3/4 cup unsweetened crushed canned pineapple, drained well, 1/2 cup juice reserved
    1/3 cup coconut rum
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    4 large eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
    2 slices fresh pineapple, 1/2 cm thick (optional) or canned pineapple (optional)
    1.Prepare coco nut crust.
    2.Place oven rack in centre of oven, heat to 350 degrees.
    3.Coat bottom and sides of 9 inch springform pan evenly with unmelted butter, reserve.
    4.Stir coconut, Brazil nuts and sugar in medium bowl.
    5.Drizzle melted butter over nut mixture.
    6.Stir and toss mixture vigorously with fork until slightly darkened and uniform.
    7.Press nut mixture evenly on sides and bottom of reserved pan.
    8.Refrigerate 5 minutes.
    9.Bake crust 7 minutes.
    10.Cool on wire rack to room temperature before filling, about 30 minutes.
    11.Cheesecake-------------.
    12.Place oven rack in centre of oven, heat to 350 degrees.
    13.Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes, place in large mixer bowl.
    14.Beat at medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until completely smooth.
    15.Continue beating while gradually adding crushed pineapple.
    16.Gradually beat in reserved pineapple juice and the liqueur until blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
    17.Add sour cream to cheese mixture, beat at medium speed until blended.
    18.Continue beating while very slowly adding sugar, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, beat until sugar is absorbed.
    19.Add eggs, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
    20.(Batter will be thin) Pour patter into baked cooled coconut crust.
    21.Gently rotate pan several quarter turns to settle batter.
    22.Bake until sides of cheesecake are set 2 1/2 inches in from edges and centre is still pudding like, 60 to 65 minutes for a creamy centre.
    23.For a firmer centre, bake until centre is just set, about 10 minutes longer (cake may crack at sides).
    24.transfer pan to wire rack away from drafts.
    25.Let cool undisturbed until sides and bottom of pan are completely cooled to room temperature.
    26.Remove sides of pan.
    27.Refrigerate cake uncovered overnight or at least 8 hours.
    28.Cover cake loosely with plastic wrap, refrigerate until serving time.
    29.Make optional garnish just before serving.
    30.Pare and core pineapple slices, cut out eyes of pineapple making small notches in outer edge of slices (or use canned slices).
    31.Cut slices into quarters.
    32.Place 6 to 8 pineapple quarters in border around top of cheesecake.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the recipe, joann_fla. I had to research what "coconut rum" is. lol!

I've kept searching myself (for days now) and have found a recipe on cooks.com that also seems to be similar to what I remember. They call it "X-23 Pina Colada Cheesecake". :)

X - 23 PINA COLADA CHEESECAKE
    1 tsp. rum extract
    1 (3 oz.) can flaked coconut
    4 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
    5 eggs
    1 1/4 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. cornstarch
    4 tbsp. melted butter
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    2 c. sour cream
    1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, well drained
    1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place rum extract and coconut in food processor; process until combined and finely chopped. Set aside.

3. Place cream cheese in mixer bowl; beat until softened. Beat in the next 7 ingredients in the order above, beating well after each addition. Stir in the coconut and pineapple. Pour mixture into 9 inch springform pan. Place pan in large roasting pan; transfer to oven. Fill roasting pan with 1 1/2 inches hot water. Bake 30 minutes.

4. Reduce heat to 325 degrees. Bake 30 minutes longer or until wooden skewer inserted in center is drawn clean.

5. Remove cake to wire rack to cool. Refrigerate cake overnight before serving. Cake may be topped with fruit, if desired. Makes 16-20 servings.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't believe that I wrote "Cheesecase", not once but TWICE in my original post, and never noticed it until now. lol! ...work was definitely on my mind.... ;^)

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago

I noticed that Cheesecase, ha ha.
    If you make the recipe you posted let me know how it turns out. The one I found seems kinda extensive. I never noticed the coconut rum either, I would use the flavoring myself.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One thing I do remember from the first time we made the original recipe is that the pineapple had a chemical reaction with my aluminum pan and caused "blackening" of the cheesecake wherever it touched! I'm thinking that the original recipe did not have a crust, but when we made it afterwards it did! :) And I learned to get it out of the pan ASAP after setting, because if left to sit long enough the crust would begin to blacken.

That's my one worry about trying to make it again... all of my cheesecake pans are aluminum, and it would be made for a function at work.

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago

You can line your pan with parchment paper that might help it not blacken.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was planning to try a parchment paper liner, so thanks for suggesting it.

They will probably want it at a self-serve dessert table for this function. I'm thinking that I should pre-cut it (leaving all pieces "in place") -- does that make sense, or would you just leave a knife & server with the whole cheesecake for people to cut whatever they choose?

I'll be making it next week and sure hope it comes out good!

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago

I would pre cut the cheesecake. So many people take a big piece then never eat it. You can cut it then place the parchment between each piece. Let me know how it turns out. Or cut then lay out on a serving platter with the parchment separating each piece so they don't stick together.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello. I just wanted to post back that they kept changing the date of the function until they finally landed on a date that I couldn't do it. One of these days I'll make it though. Thanks for the help! :)

• JoAnn_Fla
    14 years ago

Sorry you couldn't make it. Maybe another function.