Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franny_2009

RECIPE: Recipes that 'Wow' your Company

franny_2009
14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has any recipes that they serve to company that make everyone go "Wow"...this is one recipe that when I make it, everyone raves about....I put it all on a huge platter and serve at the table and everyone who has had it says it looks wonderful, and comment on the presentation...I double the vinaigrette part since I make a huge bowl of the salad part..

http://www.bestofbridge.com/Recipe276.aspx

Comments (5)

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

This sounds wonderful - I'm putting it in my To-Do file. Thanks!

• annova914
    14 years ago

I served cream puffs filled with peppermint ice cream and topped with fudge sauce. This year I couldn't find the peppermint ice cream anywhere so I created my own by softening vanilla ice cream, mixing in some crushed peppermint candy and letting the ice cream harden. It was delicious and a hit with our guests. Ann

Cream Puffs

1 cup water
    ½ cup of butter (1 stick)
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 cup all purpose flour
    4 large eggs
    Sublime Hot Fudge Sauce
    1 qt vanilla ice cream, slightly softened

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour a large cookie sheet.

Prepare choux pastry: In 3 qt saucepan, heat water, butter and salt to boiling over medium heat until butter has melted. Remove from heat. With wooden spoon, vigorously stir in flour all at once, stirring until mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a ball. Add eggs to flour mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is smooth and satiny.

Drop pastry by slightly rounded ¼ cups in 8 large mounds, 3" apart on prepared cookie sheet. With moistened finger, gently smooth tops. Bake until deep golden, 40-45 minutes. Remove puffs from oven; with tip of knife, make small slit in side of each puff to release steam. Turn off oven. Return puffs to oven and let stand 10 minutes. Transfer puffs to wire rack to cool completely.

Meanwhile prepare Sublime Hot Fudge Sauce. With serrated knife, cut each cooled puff horizontally in half; remove and discard any moist dough inside puffs.

To serve, place ½ cup scoop vanilla ice cream in bottom half of each cream puff; replace tops of cream puffs. Spoon fudge sauce over puffs.

Sublime Hot Fudge Sauce

1 cup heavy or whipping cream
    ¾ cup sugar
    4 squares (4 oz) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    2 Tbsps light corn syrup
    2 Tbsps butter
    2 tsps vanilla extract

In heavy 2 qt saucepan, combine cream, sugar, chocolate and corn syrup. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook at a gentle boil, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until smooth and glossy. Cool completely. Makes about 1-3/4 cups.

Source: Great American Classics Cookbook

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I scaled this recipe to fit my Tuperware mold. The one with a removable bottom design piece and wide upper lid ~ which is easy to unmold. When you slice it at the table you'll hear a gasp. I used mint leaves as garnish - must be a better idea? Maybe some lemon peel curls as well.

*** Raspbery Vanilla Bombe

Line tuperware (4 cup) mold w/ vanilla ice cream 3/4" thick. Cover & place in freezer while preparing filling.

10 oz. box frozen raspberries*, thawed, pureed, strain if desired
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1 scant Tb. Kirsch**
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/3 c. heavy cream

Boil (light boil) raspberry puree & sugar 5 min.
    Beat yolks til ribbon forms; slowly beat in hot raspberry syrup; beat til cool.
    Stir in Kirsch & lemon juice.
    Whip cream til soft peaks form; fold into cool syrup mixture.
    Pour into lined mold. Cover tightly.
    Freeze 4 hours or overnight.
    Serves 6-10.

Gourmet Sept.75

*frozen raspberries used to come in a cardboard box with metal ends. They were in their own slightly sweet liquid.

**only Kirschwasser is available here. It's a very potent cherry liquor.

• franny_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These will both go in my recipe file...sound wonderful...iris gal, I have had that Tupperware mold for years...has the Christmas Tree, Tulip and Star design piece on the bottom...will pull it out, dust it off and make this soon! Thanks for sharing!

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

That's the exact mold & this is the perfect use. Hope you love this recipe as much as I!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!