Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Guacamole

I found avocados on sale yesterday. I peeled one to put in a salad and found they are soft on the inside: still green but too soft for salad. Guacamole time! I have tomatoes too, and red bell peppers; green and regular onions and garlic.

Anyone have a good recipe that is NOT too spicy? I love it but am not into fiery hot anything. I do have hot sauce and could add a dash so it has some bite.

Comments (21)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Just mash up the avocado and add some lime juice! Yum!!
    You can make it with salsa and onion and whatever...but just mashed avocado and lime is better than great!
    Linda C

• trixietx
    16 years ago

I mash avocado with lime juice and add chopped onion and tomatoe and sprinkle with garlic salt. I also add a little chopped jalapeno and cilantro if I have it on hand.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

My sister uses this recipe all the time and it comes out perfect. We add a little chopped tomato for color.

Not sure if it's true, but a Mexican friend of mine says that keeping the avocado pit in the mixture actually prevents browning. I like to keep plastic directly on the surface too, so that the air doesn't affect the color.

s

Here is a link that might be useful: Guacamole

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Do I assume it will get brown? Isn't the lime juice what is supposed to prevent that? I order it in restaurants, what do they do? (I hope not use chemicals...)Will the hot sauce work to give it a little bite or is that not a good idea?

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

A trick I learned years ago is to keep the pit make your guacamole and the add the pit back to the dip...I keeps it from browning...Dont ask why all I know is it works! I always use fresh garlic, seeded vine ripe tomato, RED onion and a must is chopped cilantro and lime of course salt and pepper

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will have fun explaining the pit to my daughter. Maybe I'll say it's Mayan magic...

• danain
    16 years ago

I like to keep it simple:

{{!gwi}}

2 ripe Haas avocados
    1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
    1/2 Roma tomato; seeded and minced
    Juice from 1/2 fresh lime (or more to taste)
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Wash, cut, seed and remove fruit from the peel of the avocados; place in a medium size bowl. Cut and mash avocados using a fork and knife until creamy but still a little chunky. Stir in remaining ingredients, cover with plastic wrap touching top surface of guacamole to prevent it from turning brown. Refrigerate to blend flavors for at least one hour. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.

*To check the freshness of an avocado look at where the stem was, it should be green. DonÂt choose one that is black.

Marilyn

• lindac
    16 years ago

The pit in the dip is an old wives tale....what it does is lessen the area that is exposed to the air.
    The lime in the guacamole will keep it from browning.
    I bought one today....but it's a ways from ripe...but I'm so hungry for avocado...I may just eat it unripe!
    Linda C

• annova914
    16 years ago

I do what everyone else does: avocado, fresh lime juice, a bit of tomato and red onion and hot sauce or Tabasco but according to guacamole purists, I commit an unpardonable sin - I throw it in the food processor and add a tiny bit of sour cream and pulse it a couple of times. I like the texture to be a bit smoother (but not too smooth!). If you put an unripe avocado in a paper bag with a banana it will ripen overnight...or it should :) Ann

• shambo
    16 years ago

Speaking of avocados -- if I only use half of one in a salad, I usually keep the pit in the unused half, sprinkle it with lemon juice & wrap tightly with plastic wrap. I don't have too much trouble with browning, but, for some reason, by the next day the avocado has gotten more fibrous & stringy than it originally was. Does anyone have an explanation or better technique for keeping a cut avocado fresher?

• ann_t
    16 years ago

It isn't quacamole to me unless it has garlic and cilantro along with the tomato, jalapeno pepper, chopped onion and a squeeze of fresh lime.

And it should be on the chunky side not smooth.

Ann

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Ground cumin, a tiny bit of chili powder, mild salsa, and lemon juice. Sometimes cilantro. That's all. I know lime juice is more authentically Mexican but I realy prefer the taste of lemon with avocado.

• jillq
    16 years ago

This recipe was great. I made it for superbowl and it was so good I made it again last night for my book group. I also put it on my turkeyburgers and on cucumber slices... You get the idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: mango guacamole

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who suggested Guacamole recipes! I will save the variations for future use. I made a simple version with 3 soft avocados, finely chopped onions, tomatoes, lime juice, and a few dashes of hot sauce. It made a surprisingly big bowl full (I am used to getting tiny little cups at restaurants) and I was wondering how I was gong to eat all that. To my surprise my husband (who almost never admits to liking anything) and my daughter (who claims she doesnÂt like avocados) both liked it too. I laid the pit on the top half-buried and we had fun discussing how and why it would/would not work to prevent browning. I found my husband putting the bowl on the table with every meal as if it were a salad. It was gone in no time, and he said from now on he would be on the lookout for "sale" avocados.

• kenzo
    16 years ago

The basic ingredients of Avocado, Tomato, Red Onion, Garlic, Lime, Cilantro, Sal, Pepper are classic

The key is a good ripe avocados... and crunchy tomatos

alos it is best to get the avocado and seasonings to the texture you want then gently mix in the tomato, onion and cilantro as they will maintain their distinct textures and not get mushed and the flavors will remain bright and distinct.

Personally I like mine a little chunky and cilantro heavy

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I do this simple recipe all the time and it comes out great. Mash avocados, add lots o lime, add salsa (from a jar or from your favorite mexican restaurant if that's an option).

The more lime you add, the more it will retard browning. However, eventually it WILL brown. So, if you're making it say for a party tonight, you could make it just before serving and it could sit there for a couple of hours (if it doesn't get eaten up by then) without browning, assuming you add a lot of lime.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

So many different views of what makes good Guacamole and it definitly comes down to individual tastes.

Mine is avocado, onion, lime juice and loads of cilantro. Fresh chopped tomatoes if you have them, otherwise optional.

• Brihsn20
    9 years ago

Mine is simple if you have all the ingredants:
    Makes One dinner bowl. also need spoon and knife.
    1 avocado
    Lime
    Garlic powder and/or garlic salt
    Course Salt
    Tbs sour cream
    Tbs toastitos mild salsa

Half and gently pit(smack with knife and twist). Trying to leave whole, skin both into bowl. Roll lime, slit, move knife around to break the cells, then juice right over them. Sprinkle your dry. Stir. Cream. Stir. Salsa. Stir and serve.

With chips or alone, tastes awesome!
    Tip: be sure to scrape all that dark green that's by the skin, this will livin it up. Otherwise it's pale yellowish brown.
    P.S. Don't worry about browning. It will all be devoured long before that. Bowl scraped and licked clean. But can be frozen flat in ziplock for later.

• Brihsn20
    9 years ago

Sour cream! Try it. I only saw one other who used it. Gives a smooth cooling flavor, helps bind it.

• LGThyme123
    9 years ago

Like most fruit, avocados will brown when exposed to air.
    But use of lime or lemon will distort the taste. Use a product such as "Fresh Fruit" to prevent the browning without altering the taste. It is nothing but ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in a powder form that is also used in home canning. You need not use very much - a tsp for every 3 avocados. There are over 350 varieties of avocados of which Hass (pronounced as "ass" with an "h" in the beginning) is the variety most often found in the market. It does not bruise or spoil easily and ships well. But any avocado will make a good guacamole. Salt, fresh tomatos, onions, garlic and cilantro are the main additions along with tastless ascorbic acid. If you are in a hurry, buy a premade fresh pico de gallo in the procduce section. It usually is not spicy unless they have added jalapeno to it. Other ingredients that will destroy a good guacamole are mayonaise & cream chesse. When buying avocados, do not buy them if the skin is shiny. If the skin is shiny, it was picked too soon and will not ripen properly. The skin is usually dull in color when mature. Maturity means that the oil content is at optimum level before the avocado is picked. Avocados do not ripen until picked. To hasten the ripening, place your avocado in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana and leave it on the counter. The ethlene gas produced by the apple or banana will speed up the ripening. Personally, I like to just cut the avocado in half and eat it with a spoon. :-)

• LGThyme123
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that you will also need to cover the guacamole with plastic wrap by placing the plastic wrap right on the guacamole. Not the bowl or container, but stick it directly to the guacamole. This locks out the air and prevents the browning.