Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

LOOKING for: Turnip recipes

ruthanna_gw
18 years ago

Our area had a bumper crop of turnips this year and I picked up a whole basket of nice firm ones for $2 at the farmers' market today. They're the variety that's white with purple tops and they're medium sized.

My favorite way to use them is in a beef stew with onions, carrots and rice but DH is craving Greek beef stew tonight. I also make scalloped potatoes and turnips as a side dish and use them in a French bean soup (on the stove now).

Since I have enough for many, many meals to come, I'd enjoy hearing how you like to prepare them.

Comments (12)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sliced, raw on a crudites tray.
    Or roasted with butter, salt and pepper....and with carrots.
    Linda C

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

You'll find my turnips right next to the pumpkin - a very LONG way away from me!! But a few recipes for you, regardless.

Turnips with Poppy and Paprika
    1kg turnips, cleaned; quartered
    4 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons poppy seeds
    1 tablespoon paprika
    4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste

Season turnips with salt and pepper. Heat butter until starting to brown. Add turnips and toss to coat well. Add poppy seeds and saute until light golden brown, about 8-9 minutes. Add paprika and toss to coat. Add vinegar and cook until evaporated, 4-5 minutes.

Creamed Turnips
    750g turnips
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons thickened cream
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place turnips in a large frypan. Add 1/3 cup water and butter. Sprinkle turnips with the sugar and salt. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until tender. Remove cover and continue cooking until all the water is evaporated. Stir in cream. Cook until cream thickens slightly and turnips are evenly coated, about 3 minutes. Add pepper just before serving.

Creamed Turnip Soup
    500g turnip greens
    1 tablespoon chopped shallots
    1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup cream
    1 peppercorns
    1/4 cup white wine
    90g finely grated parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

Blanch turnip greens, then submerge in iced water and drain. Lightly saute the shallots in olive oil. Add cream, peppercorns and wine. Reduce by half and strain. Place the turnip greens in a food processor. While pureeing, add cream mixture. Add cheese, salt and pepper.

Garlic Turnip Greens
    500-750g turnip greens, boiled until tender
    2-3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 large cloves)
    4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    salt and black pepper, to taste
    hot chilli sauce

Drain greens well. In a large frypan over medium heat, cook garlic in the vegetable oil until it just begins to brown. Add the drained greens; season to taste with salt and pepper then add a few dashes of chilli sauce.

Glazed Turnips with Chives
    1 teaspoon butter
    4 cups julienned turnips (about 750g)
    1 tablespoon water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 teaspoons chopped chives

Melt the butter in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add turnip, water, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until turnips are crisp-tender. Stir in sugar. Increase heat slightly, and continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Serve sprinkled with chives.

Lemon Turnip Sticks
    2 turnips, peeled and cut into sticks
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoons chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    salt and pepper

Cook turnip sticks in boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; add butter, parsley, onion and lemon juice. Toss to coat. Season to taste.

Pickled Turnips
    1 large beetroot
    3-4 turnips
    3 garlic cloves, sliced
    celery leaves
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon coarse salt

Boil the beetroot in water until tender. Peel, cool and slice. Drop the turnips into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, peel and cut into sticks. Layer the turnip slices and beetroot slices with pieces of garlic and a few celery leaves in a jar. Combine the water, vinegar and salt and bring to the boil. Fill the jar with the liquid, seal and store in a warm place for 10 days. Refrigerate after opening.

Red Flannel Hash
    2 cooked, peeled potatoes, diced
    2 cooked, peeled turnips, diced
    3 tablespoons thickened cream
    2 cooked beetroot, diced
    2 cups diced cooked corned beef
    1 onion, minced
    1 teaspoon dried savory
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    3 tablespoons butter
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 poached eggs
    3 tablespoons chopped parsley

Place the potatoes, turnips and beetroot in a bowl, toss in beef, onion, savory and nutmeg. In a large frypan, heat the butter over medium heat until sizzling, spread the meat mixture in the pan. Cook, loosening edge often and shaking pan, for 8-10 minutes or until parts are crusty. Using a large spatula, turn over in pieces. Pour in cream to flow underneath. sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, for 15 minutes or until heated through and potatoes and meat are crusty. Top each serving with a poached egg, sprinkle with parsley.

Southern Turnip Greens
    2kg turnip greens
    500g salt pork, rinsed and diced
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    a dash of cayenne (optional)

Cut off and discard tough stems and discoloured leaves from greens. Wash greens thoroughly and drain well. Cook salt pork in a large saucepan oven over medium heat until crisp and brown. Add the turnip greens, water, onion, sugar, pepper, and cayenne. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40-45 minutes or until greens are tender. Serve with vinegar or chilli sauce and cornbread.

Spicy Turnip Fries
    4 turnips, cut into 5x1cm strips
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon chilli powder

Place turnip strips onto a foil-lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and chilli powder. Toss to coat, and spread out in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time. Serve immediately as a side dish or snack.

Stuffed Turnips
    Boil 4-5 large whole turnips. Drain. Cut a slice from the top, and scoop out the middle. Beat the pulp with a little butter, flour, pepper, salt, and cream, and add the yolk of an egg. Fill the turnip cases with the mixture, put the tops on again, and brush with beaten egg. Brown in a hot oven, and serve very hot.

Sweet Spicy Turnips
    4-5 turnips, peeled and sliced
    3 tablespoons flour
    1-2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce

Place turnips in a saucepan with just enough water to keep them from scorching. Cook until tender. Drain all of water except 1/4 cup. Add flour and mash turnips coarsely. Add sugar and salt. Return to low heat until mixture boils. Add cream, butter and pepper or Tabasco if desired.

Turnip and Apple Salad
    1 cup grated raw turnips
    1 cup grated tart apples
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients. Chill before serving.
    Turnip Custard
    1kg turnips, peeled and diced
    1 egg, well beaten
    1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    dash pepper
    1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
    1/8 teaspoon allspice

Cook turnips in boiling water until tender; drain well. Mash if necessary and drain. Blend in remaining ingredients. Pour into a buttered crockpot. Cover and cook on High setting for 1-2 hours (on Low setting for 4-5 hours).

Turnips and Potatoes au Gratin
    4 cups thinly sliced turnips and potatoes
    1 onion, finely sliced
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1/2 cup milk
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 190C. Toss together the turnips, potatoes and onion with melted butter. Place in a 23cm baking dish. Cover tightly and place in oven for 30 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper., bring to the boil. Immediately remove from heat. Remove turnip mixture from oven, mix in half the cheese. Pour the milk over the potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven until cheese is golden brown.

Turnips with Aniseed
    6 turnips, cut into 1cm cubes
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    5 tablespoons water
    3 onions
    parsley sprigs
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    aniseeds

Cook turnips in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, salt, sugar and water, 10-15 minutes, until almost done, covered. Chop onions and parsley; add lemon juice and remaining butter; cook in separate pan until onions are transparent. Mix all together and serve at once. Sprinkle with aniseed.

Turnips with Parsley Lemon Butter
    6 white turnips, peeled and cut into large cubes
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    pepper or paprika

Cook turnips in boiling salted water, covered, 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and shake over heat a few times to dry slightly. Melt butter; add lemon juice and parsley. Heat, pour over turnips; add dash of pepper or paprika.

Turnips with Parsley Sauce
    750g small turnips
    60g butter
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    sea salt and black pepper
    6 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    2/3 cup thickened cream

Scrub turnips clean. Leave whole if tiny, otherwise cut in halves or quarters. Cook till tender in lightly salted water, and drain. Dry out over a gentle heat then stir in butter, mustard, and cream, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in chopped parsley and serve with lamb, duck, beef or chicken.

Mediterranean Beetroot Leaves (read the last sentence!!)
    250g young beetroot leaves and stalks
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup coarse stale breadcrumbs
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    juice of 1 lemon

Wash leaves carefully, then cut off the stalks. Cook the stalks in boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes, then add leaves and boil, uncovered for a further 3 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a frypan, add crumbs and cook on moderately high heat until golden. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes until lightly browned. Add beetroot leaves and stalks and mix in well. Reduce heat, sprinkle lemon juice over, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve hot as a vegetable. Turnip leaves may be substituted for the beetroot leaves.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    18 years ago

Ruthanna,

I like turnips. I make a scalloped turnip dish without the potatoes - just dice them and boil in salted water until tender, put in a buttered casserole in one layer. Make a white sauce (I add a very small amount of nutmeg and cayenne) add sharp grated cheddar cheese to melt and then pour over the turnips. Top with buttered crumbs and bake about 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.

I also found a recipe that I'm going to try soon that uses the crockpot. I've linked it for you below.

seagrass

Here is a link that might be useful: turnip custard

• danain
    18 years ago

Ruthanna, this is my absolute favorite turnip recipe:

{{gwi:2043951}}

4 medium turnips
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    fresh ground pepper to taste
    1 tablespoons sugar (don't leave this out)
    1 tablespoon parsley flakes

Peel turnips and dice into small cubes. Cook turnips in boiling salted water until very tender. Drain well in colander. Melt butter. Mix milk with cornstarch until smooth; add to butter. Cook mixture over medium heat while stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in turnips, pepper, sugar and parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately. *These are a pleasant surprise!

Marilyn

• dances_in_garden
    18 years ago

I like to peel and cube them. Then saute in a pan with a bit of butter and olive oile (so butter doesn't burn) until a bit browned. Then I add some chicken stock, salt, and pepper to braise them until they are soft. I let all the liquid cook off. Add a bit more butter, and serve. I use one large turnip per serving, but I am a veggie nut so two large might serve four people as a side dish.

Sweet, nutty, peppery, yummy!

Or I steam them until tender, mash with a fork, and serve with clumps of melting butter salt and pepper.

• nardbarn1
    18 years ago

For a treat add cubed tart apples to the turnips before cooking.

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

I like turnips and have some in the fridge I need to cook right now. Here is a very simple Paula Deen recipe that I like. Two changes I made to this were to omit all the butter except for two Tablespoons and reduce the brown sugar to 1-1/2 Tablespoons. I didn't miss them.
    Tugboat Turnips
    2 large rutabagas, or turnips
    6 large carrots
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    Peel and chop the rutabagas and carots. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Gently cook until tender. Drain the rutabagas and carrots, add the butter and brown sugar. Mash with a potato masher. These are only to be slightly mashed, not mashed like mashed potatoes. Adjust the taste with salt and sugar.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I like mine just boiled and mashed with butter, salt and pepper.

Sometimes simple is best for me, I tend to like the taste of vegetables without a lot of sauce.

Annie

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

I like them that way too Annie except I add about a teaspoon of sugar to the water while they are boiling.

• opkikid
    18 years ago

Ruthanna -- This recipe appeared in Chicago Trib's Good Eating section today. I, obviously, haven't made it but their recipes are consistently outstanding and it does sound great!

Turnips glazed with sherry vinegar

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

1 3/4 pounds small turnips (about 12 small turnips with 1 inch of stems attached)

1 small shallot, minced

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1 tablespoon sherry vinegar

1. Peel the turnips; cut into quarters, leaving the stems attached. Combine turnips, shallot, water, butter and salt in a large skillet. Stir; cover. Cook over medium-high heat until the turnips are almost tender but still slightly crisp, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Uncover; increase the heat to high. Cook until water disappears and bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan begin to brown. Stir in the walnuts; cook until the turnips are covered in a brown glaze, 8-10 minutes.

3. Add the vinegar. Stir to mix well; scrape up some of the brown glaze from the bottom of the pan (you won't get it all).

Nutrition information per serving:

99 calories, 62% of calories from fat, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 487 mg sodium, 2 g fiber

Angie

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

I'm going to try that one Angie!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

Turnip slaw.

About 2 c. coarsely grated turnip
    About 2 c. coarsely grated carrots
    1/4 c. each lemon juice and olive oil
    1/2 tsp. each salt and dry mustard

Mix and enjoy. This is like a cross between a slaw and a pickle. I love it.