Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

RECIPE: Recipe to use up 4 #'s of cooked Beef Potroast

piper101
16 years ago

I cooked 4+ pounds of chuck roast in the crockpot yesterday so it's done. No seasonings. It's boneless and can be shredded. What can I make with this? Looking for good ideas and recipes. Thank you. :)

Comments (8)

• ysop1016
    16 years ago

I make Shepherd's Pie with leftover beef roast. Cube it in bite sized pieces, add cooked sliced carrots, onions or any other cooked veggie and a cup of frozen baby peas. Cover with leftover liquid from the roast then "frost" with mashed potatoes. A little grated sharp cheese on top the last 5 mins. adds some color. Bake at 350 until bubbly.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ysop - That's a great idea. My son's favorite dish too!!
    I usually make Shepherd's pie with ground beef, but this beef would be WAY better. I could use half and make as usually since I have a good recipe and use the other 1/2 for???.......
    Thx!!!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Our DD once used shredded beef in lasagna all mixed in with the sauce. It was delicious.

• pandora
    16 years ago

How about BBQ for sandwiches?

Or, something Mexican, like soft tacos or chimichangas

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

When I cook a big roast I usually use some for sandwiches and divide the rest and make minestrone soup and vegetable soup. Then I have soup in the freezer for lunches or surprise company.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

I've never made these yet, found the recipe online, but I've eaten plenty of these dumplings. They are excellent in chicken soup (along the lines of a won ton)or just fried until crispy in a pan like a potsticker! My grandmother used leftover pot roast for the filling.

Kreplach (dumplings)

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/4 cup cold water

Process flour, salt, eggs in food processor with the metal blade. With the machine running, add water. The mixture needs to form a ball. Knead for 30 seconds, adding either more water or more flour to get correct consistency. Wrap dough in plastic while preparing meat.
    Meat Filling

* 1 pound ground beef or 1 pound leftover brisket
    * 1 onion
    * 1 clove garlic
    * 1 large egg
    * salt and black pepper to taste

If you are using raw meat, cook it with onion and garlic in a frying pan. Otherwise cook onion and garlic in a small amount of oil. Put cooked meat, onion and garlic in food processor and process until just smooth. Add egg, salt, and pepper.

Divide the dough into 2 or 3 parts so that it does not dry out while filling. Roll each portion into a very thin rectangle, and cut into 3-inch squares. On each square, put a tablespoon or so of filling, and close into a triangle, wetting the edges and pressing them tightly. Put finished kreplach on a floured surface to wait. To cook the kreplach, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Drop the kreplach into the water, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Drain well. Serve in traditional chicken soup. The parboiled kreplach can be frozen or refrigerated before using. If you have more kreplach than will fit in a single layer, separate with oiled paper or foil so they don't stick.
    Quantity, about 30 kreplach.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone - I ended up making shepard's pie with 1/2 of it and beef stroganoff with the rest. I will try out these others as it's really easy to throw a chuck roast in the crockpot anytime. Thanks again, Nicole

• hedda_lettis
    16 years ago

Grind some up with large blade, add mayo, finely chopped onion and celery, and anything else you might add to a tuna salad. Makes a great sandwich spread. Even better if ground (cooked) pork roast meat is added. We actually use an old-fashioned hand-crank meat grinder for this! Just like Mama did! :)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm