Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Looking for Hot 'n' Spicy Chili Recipe

Posted by bookworm_2007 (kdiane1976@aol.com) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 14:26

I have tried so many different chili recipes and have never been too crazy about any of them. They never have enough spice and flavor to them. I would love it if you could share your favorite chili recipe with me!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Looking for Hot 'n' Spicy Chili Recipe

Just add more chillies. What's hot to you might be mild to me.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Hot 'n' Spicy Chili Recipe

Do a search on this forum under chili. There are several threads. Here's one. I use Rotel extra hot tomatoes in mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chili

o

In Texas, chili has reached new heights! Here is one of the best chili recipes from the Longhorn State.
2 lbs. chili meat (coarsely ground round or chuck steak)
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 1/2 cups beer
8 oz. can tomato sauce
two small onons, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 tblsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
Cayenne pepper
4-5 fresh Jalapeno peppers, chopped (canned is okay)

In large skillet, braise meat in 1/4 c. oil until brown. Transfer meat to a large kettle, leaving liquid in skillet. Add beer and tomato sauce to meat, cook over low heat. Saute onion, green peppper and garlic in remaining 1/4 c. oil and liquid in skillet. Add remaining dry ingredients and chopped jalapeno peppers with seeds removed. Simmer about 30 minutes then transfer to kettle. Simmer for about 2 hours. Dip off grease that settles on top. Serves 8.

If you really want to burn your tongue, add more cayenne and/or more jalapenos. Around here, a cast iron kettle is the ONLY vessel approved for chili making.

o

Hopefully I'm not too late but here's another for you. It is spicy.

TNT Chili

Ingredients

2 lbs lean ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 28oz can tomatoes, cut up
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
6 or 7 jalapeno peppers, rinsed and chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tbsp ground red pepper or to your liking
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper or to your liking
1 bay leaf
2 cans red kidney beans

Procedure

Cook ground beef, onions, green pepper, celery, and garlic in pot until meat is browned. DO NOT DRAIN. Stir in undrained tomatoes and remaining ingredients except kidney beans. Simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans and cook another 30 minutes.

Sabrina

o

Sabrina's recipe is the same recipe I make...except I usually drain it and one can of beans. I have been making it for years. Probably one of the first cookbooks I bought. Better Homes and Gardens Hot and Spicy Cooking.

o

Okay, this not a recipe, BUT, I sometime's make my chile using hot sausage instead of beef and it turns out great! I find it depends how hot the sausage is as to how hot the chili is. I just made this tonight and it was great. The flavor goes all through the chili. I also use powder from ground hot peppers to taste.
Just an idea.
Karen

o

This is a very flavorful chili that is also good and spicy. You can control the spiciness by the amount of chipotles in adobo you add. The amount called for is plenty spicy.

Turkey Chili
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 2 large onions chopped
• 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
• 2 1/2 pounds turkey ground
• 1/4 cup masa harina
• 28 ounces whole plum tomatoes drained and chopped, reserve juice
• 2 cups chicken stock, and maybe 2 cups more
• 6 tablespoons pasilla chili powder
• 1 tablespoon cumin ground
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 2 small chipotle chilies in adobo sauce chopped
• 40 ounces beans (black or kidney)
preparation:
Heat the oil in a dutch oven and saute the onions until golden. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 3 minutes. Add the turkey and saute until the meat loses its color, stirring to break the meat apart. Sprinkle the masa harina onto the meat and stir to incorporate, cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients (except beans), the reserved tomato juice and 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding the remaining chicken stock if necessary. Add the beans and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes to heat thoroughly. Serve with corn bread, tortillas, diced onions, grated cheese, sour cream, chopped fresh coriander, or anything else you like with your chili.

NOTE: Try and get the ingredients listed. Don’t use regular chili powder. If you can’t find pasilla (you can mail order it at http://www.mexgrocer.com/9674.html), substitute ancho (usually available in super markets). This chili has a nice "earthy" taste with a hint of smokiness imparted by the chipotle chilies in adobo sauce. The "heat" also comes from the chipotle chiles, so add less or more to taste.

Ground beef or pork can be substituted for the turkey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here