Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: beef and butternut squash stew -- yum!

Posted by fearlessem (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 08 at 14:11

Hi all --

Posted this on the cooking forum but it didn't seem to get much traction there... Figured I would try putting it here as well, as it is the best recipe I have made in a long time... A recipe from Giada on the food network, for Beef and Butternut Squash Stew, with sun dried tomatoes, marsala wine, and fresh rosemary and thyme. It was incredibly good -- just the perfect blend of flavors.

I only made a few small modifications to the recipe -- added a tablespoon of tomato paste, and cooked it longer than the recipe calls for. I cooked it for about an hour and a half covered and then probably another 45 minutes uncovered, all at a very very low simmer. Oh, and while I used fresh rosemary, I used just 1 tsp of dried thyme (instead of 1 Tbs of fresh thyme)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Beef and Butternut Squash Stew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: beef and butternut squash stew -- yum!

Hi Fearless! I didn't catch this on Cooking, it sounds really good to me and Ken especially loves marsala in cooking, thanks!

o

That is a basic beef-stew recipe except for the Marsala and Squash. I usually cut up potatoes. Sounds good.

Jane

o

Emily, I didn't see this one either over there, but looking at the picture, I can see I'd have to make those pieces much smaller for you know who. I tend to have to hide the squash....but I take your word on the good taste.

In describing your cooking of it, I'm reading your words as being done on the stove/cooktop?

o

Hi Msazadi -

Yes, I did it on the stove top, but it cooks at a bare simmer, so I think you could easily do it in a 300 or 325 degree oven. Now that you mentioned it, the recipe calls for 2 inch pieces of butternut, but that seemed enormous to me. The largest pieces I did were about 1 inch square, and I did some that were smaller. Next time I will actually do most of them that 1 inch size, because since I cooked it so much longer than the 1 hour called for the smaller pieces kind of disolved into the sauce... Though then again, that did make the sauce extra delicious...

Emily

o

Emily, this looks really good - thanks for posting!

Cindy

o

Emily, if the 1" pieces cook mostly away, then that's my answer! Healthy but not obvious. Sometimes men are like childreen...or at least chez nous. And with the LeCreuset, it's nice to have something that can be done by simmering rather than use the oven which I am increasingly unhappy with. I wish I had a gas one. :-(

o

Msazadi -- Given what you want, I'd suggest you did what I did, which was about half the pieces 1 inch and half a little smaller -- maybe 3/4 inch square, or maybe a little smaller? That way there are still some chunks there for you, but other pieces that will melt into the sauce... Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Emily

o

Hi Emily.... thanks for sharing this.... sounds just delish. Going to try it soon !!! janice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here