potpie
18 years ago

Does anyone here have some tried and true recipes for things like:

1. Strawberry Nut Tea Bread

2. Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread

3. Raspberry Creme Tea Bread

4. Sweet Cherry and Chocolate Tea Bread

5. Apricot Nut Tea Bread

I am starting my planning for a big Easter Open House for all our family and wanted to have a table of tea breads, muffins, scones, and cookies. I made-up the above names, but would like to have a recipe that matches them as much as possible. I think it would make a great selection.

Thanks. I hope this is the right place to do this!

Comments (12)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's one....makes great muffins too....just cook less time.

Sweet Potato Pecan Quick Bread
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon mace
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup applesauce
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
    Grease bottom of a loaf pan approximately 9- x 5- x 3-inches. Stir together
    flour, baking powder, salt and spices in mixing bowl. With a large spoon,
    stir in sugar, eggs, applesauce and milk; stir to moisten all ingredients.
    Stir in mashed sweet potatoes, pecans and dates or raisins. Pour batter into
    prepared pan. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until
    toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15
    minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack

And another....and while this is called a cake, it works well as a tea bread.

This is a very strange sounding cake, and I admit the taste is unusual. But, it kept me coming back for "one more piece" all day long. It came from the an herb magazine whose name I can't remember right now. Anyway, here goes:

HOLIDAY SEED CAKE
    3 cups sifted all purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground mace
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom seed
    1 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup butter or margarine
    2 cups granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    3 tablespoons finely chopped
    lemon rind (yellow part only)
    1 cup milk
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    1 teaspoon anise seeds
    Powdered sugar
    Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Sift together the flour, baking powder, mace, cardamom and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in lemon rind.
    Gradually add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with milk, in 4 to 6 increments. Stir in seeds, making sure all dry ingredients are evenly combined.
    Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top evenly. Bake about 1 hour, or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a cake tester comes out dry. If cake begins to brown too soon, cover lightly with a piece of foil. Remove cake from oven and let cool about 15 minutes on a rack before turning out. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, sifting it through a doily to produce a decorative pattern, if you wish.

And this is one of my favorites!

Honey nut quick bread
    Scald 1 cup milk and add 1 cup honey and 1/2 cup sugar anfd stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved....cool mixture.
    Beat in 1/4 cup soft butter and 2 egg yolks.
    Sift together 2 1/2 cups sifted flour ( measure after sifting) and 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp soda.
    Stir the flour into the batter and beat very well, like for at least a minute, more is better.
    Stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts, and pour into buttered and floured loaf pans. ( I make 2 of the small sized loaves) and bake 325 for an hour until the loaf tests done ( a cake tester comes out clean and it begins to pull away from the edges of the pan.
    Cool and turn out. Wonderful sliced thin and spread with soft butter

• pat_t
    18 years ago

AUTUMN APRICOT-WALNUT TEA BREAD

1 cup chopped dried apricots
    1-1/2 cups boiling water
    2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tblsp. Baking powder
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp. Lemon extract (or vanilla extract)
    1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
    1/2 cup brown sugar (for topping)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Soak apricots in boiling water and allow to soften for a few minutes.
    In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
    In another large bowl, whisk together egg, oil, lemon or vanilla extract, cooled apricot mixture, and walnuts. Beat vigorously until combined, then add to flour mixture, stirring until a batter forms.
    In a small bowl, add remaining 1/2 cup walnuts and blend together with brown sugar. Set aside.
    Grease a 9-inch loaf pan. Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle on walnut-brown sugar topping and bake for 1 hour. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

I have made a strawberry walnut one but will have to dig out the recipe. This one wasn't on your list but I like it.
    Are you having any tea sandwiches?

CHERRY-APPLE NUT BREAD

1 /3 cup softened butter or margarine
    2 /3 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup applesauce
    1 /4 cup milk (skim is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 /2 tsp. salt
    1 /2 tsp. baking soda
    1 Tbs. grated lemon rind
    2/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1 /3 cup whole maraschino cherries

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add applesauce and milk and mix. (Mixture will look curdled but dont worry.)

In a separate bowl, mix flour and all other ingredients except nuts & cherries. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir only until blended. Sir in nuts and cherries. Pour into greased 9 X 5 X 3 loaf pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for one hour or until it tests done. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool thoroughly before slicing. Store tightly wrapped in refrigerator. OK to freeze. Yield: 1 large loaf.

Note: Can be baked in mini-loaf pans. Just adjust baking time.

• cindy_5ny
    18 years ago

Here's a tried and true Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread with memories of our friend Marlen.

{{gwi:2043836}}
    Source: Marlen
    This blueberry loaf is luscious. You can omit the lemon rind and add about 1 teaspoon cinnamon. It won a blue-ribbon at a Colorado county fair. 1 9" loaf, or 3-4 mini loaves; can be multiplied

4 T unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs, separated
    2 tsp grated lemon rind
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup blueberries (you can use frozen)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is OK, not fat-free)

Cream butter. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, lemon rind and vanilla. Beat well. Mix 2 tablespoons of the flour with the blueberries, and toss to coat . Sift the rest of the flour with the baking powder, soda and salt. Add the flour to the batter, alternating with the sour-cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold 1 quarter of the whites into the batter (to lighten it), then fold in the remaining whites. Fold in blueberries and spoon batter into greased and floured pans. Sprinkle top of batter with about a teaspoon of granulated sugar if desired. Bake 350 larger loaf 50-60 minutes, smaller loaves, 30-40 minutes, or until a knife or tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a rack before removing from pans.

Cindy

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Very tried & true:
    STRAWBERRY NUT BREAD (2 loaves)
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp bakind soda
    1 TBL cinnamon
    2 cups sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 cup vegetable oil
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    3 cups chopped strawberries
    3/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease & flour two 9" loaf pans.
    In a large bowl, combine the flour & baking soda & stir until the soda is well distributed. Add the cinnamon & sugar. Mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, oil & lemon zest. Spoon the strawberries into the liquid ingredients & stir gently to coat them. Add this mixture in batches to the dry ingredients, incorporating by hand. Fold in the nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans & bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow loaves to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack. Do not slice until ready to serve.~~ Delicisous Decisions

APRICOT WALNUT TEA BREAD ( 1 loaf)
    1 cup dried apricots
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 TBL baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" loaf pan. Cut the apricots into small pieces & place in a bowl. Add the boiling water; set aside to cool. Sift the flour, baking powder & salt & set aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, sugar & oil; beat until blended. Gradually add the apricot mixture, beating constantly. Add the flour mixture & beat until smooth. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the dough into the prepared pan.
    Bake 1 hour. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then loosen with spatulas & transfer to a rack. Cool. Wrap in foil & store in the refrigerator at least 12 hours before serving.~~ A Bountiful Arbor

You might like this one also:
    HONEY BREAD (2 loaves)
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 TBL baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups honey
    4 TBL butter, melted
    1 cup black coffee
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup raisins (I leave these out)
    Preheat oven to 350°. Grease & flour two 9" loaf pans.
    In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves & nutmeg. Stir with a whisk until well mixed.
    In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, honey, butter & coffee. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring just until mixed. Fold in the nuts & raisins.
    Pour the batter into the prepared pans & bake 1 hour. Cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes then turn out onto a rack.~~ Celebrate Miami

BLUEBERRY LEMON BREAD ( 1 loaf)
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    6 TBL butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 TBL lemon zest
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1 1/2 cups blueberries

Glaze:
    1/3 cups guar
    3 TBL fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 325°. Butter & flour an 8 1/2x4 1/2" loaf pan. Combine the flour, baking powder & salt & set aside. In another bowl, cream the butter & 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs; beat well. Add the lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into the prepared loaf pan & bake for about 1 hour & 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    For the glaze: Mix the sugar & lemon juice in a saucepan & bring to a boil. Poke holes in the bread with a toothpick & pour the glaze over the bread. Cool for 30 minutes.~~Maine Ingredients

• potpie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am really pleased with the whole lot of tea breads you've given me!

I hope to start baking them this weekend and freeze them until the E-Day Brunch! (Easter)

Everyone loves them and with lots of flavored cream cheeses and butters, it should be just the ticket to please everyone!

• roselin32
    18 years ago

This isn't a tea bread but it is a nice coffeecake from Emeril that I have enjoyed serving:
    Raspberry Crumb Coffeecake with Vermont Maple Frosting
    1 tsp butter
    1 1/2 c raspberries
    1 1 /2c sugar
    juice of one lemon
    2 T cornstarch
    1/4c water
    1/2c + 1/4c butter
    2 eggs
    4c flour, divided
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 c buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2c brown sugar
    1 c powdered sugar
    2T maple syrup
    2 T milk
    Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 11x7x2" pan with the tsp of butter. In a saucepan, combine, raspberries , 1/2c sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer and cook for 3 min. Whisk water and cornstarch and stir into raspberry mix. Cook for 4 minutes and cool completely.
    Cream 1/2c butter and 1 c sugar. Add eggs. Sift together 3 1/2c flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add flour mix and buttermilk thoroughly with butter mixture. Add vanilla. In a small bowl combine remaining flour, brown sugar and cut in butter. Spread half of the batter into prepared pan, spread fruit mix over batter, drop heaping spoonsful of batter over fruit and sprinkle with brown sugar mix. Bake for 40-45 min until golden. Combine remaining ingredients and drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm.

• jenn
    18 years ago

What a nice idea for an open house. Here's a recipe for a spread you might want to try. I don't have a recipe to share for a tea bread but I will surely be trying the ones posted here!

Creamy Orange Spread

Source: Perfect Parties (one of Leisure Arts Memories in the Making Series)

* 2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
    * 1/4 C butter, softened
    * 1/4 C orange marmalade

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add orange marmalade; beat until well blended. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

Jen

• pat_t
    18 years ago

Found this today and thought you might be interested in a little something different.

BANANA CHOCOLATE TEA BREAD

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 Tblsp. cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup mashed banana
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup chopped nuts
    1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir together. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture, blending well. Add vanilla. Stir in banana, sour cream, nuts, and chocolate morsels.

Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 3- x 7.5-inch loaf pans. Bake for 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 2 loaves.

Recipe courtesy of Bonita Bananas Worldwide.

• potpie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for their recipes!

I made 11 different Tea Breads and made two of each kind. There was nothing left of the Tea Breads after 3pm on Easter!

The Open House was a triumph of a success and I will do things this way again in the future.

I made certain places in the house and outside as "stations" for foods and beverages. It seems like people like to graze more than they like to take whole plates!

The Tea Bread and Muffin Station was very, very successful! I did flavored butters and cream cheeses for spreads.

Thanks again!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Glad it worked out so well for you. You had a good idea with the food stations.

• san_
    18 years ago

my hat is off to you--i can't imagine 2 loaves each of 11 different breads--holy cow! and it sounds as if you had a HUGE hit. congratulations!