Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Home made version of Sara Lee vegetable lasagna

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 13:43

I was in love with the Sara Lee vegetable lasagna I used to buy at their outlet stores (which sadly are no more). Sara Lee has been split up, and I think will be making only desserts from now on; at least so I inferred from their website.

The lasagna was mostly spinach, but some other vegetables too. All cut small, you could see a bit of carrot and maybe some yellow squash. I never analyzed it, now I wish I had. It also used a creamy sauce (probably a cheesy white sauce) in between the layers, rather than a tomato sauce. The creamy sauce went so much better with the flavor of the spinach than tomato sauce does. Topping it all was a combination of yellow and white cheeses.

I have tried other vegetable lasagnas, and there is no comparison. Everything I can find is tomato based, and the spinach is overwhelmed. (Trader Joes, and all the normal frozen brands)

I would love to find a version of this to make. Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Home made version of Sara Lee vegetable lasagna

I Googled this and no recipes came up.

o

I know...me too!

o

try googling vegetarian, spinach, or vegetable lasagne with white sauce or alfredo sauce. There seems to be some fantastic ones out there and you can use whatever veggies you prefer.

o

This recipe from Food.com looks good:

Vegetarian Lasagna with White Sauce

2 small zucchini ( about 8 oz. each)
1/2 bunch broccoli
1 bunch spinach leaves ( firmly packed)
2 tablespoons butter ( or margarine)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt ( divided)
15 ounces ricotta cheese ( can be part skim)
2 eggs
12 lasagna noodles ( about)
3 tablespoons butter ( or margarine)
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
8 ounces mozzarella cheese ( slices)

Directions

Dice zucchini. Coarsely chop broccoli and spinach.

In a nonstick 12 -inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter (or margarine), cook zucchini, broccoli, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add Spinach and toss until wilted. remove skillet from heat.

In medium bowl, with fork, mix ricotta and eggs; set aside.

Prepare lasagna noodles as label directs. Drain.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter). Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.

In13-by-9-inch glass baking dish, layer half of the prepared lasagna noodles, half of the ricotta mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, and half of the mozzarella. Top with half of the sauce, then with the remaining noodles, ricotta, and vegetable mixture. Spoon remaining sauce over vegetable layer; arrange remaining mozzarella on top.

Bake lasagna 40 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let lasagna stand 10 minutes for easier serving.

o

That looks very promising, teresa! Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here