Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Home made version of Sara Lee vegetable lasagna

I was in love with the Sara Lee vegetable lasagna I used to buy at their outlet stores (which sadly are no more). Sara Lee has been split up, and I think will be making only desserts from now on; at least so I inferred from their website.

The lasagna was mostly spinach, but some other vegetables too. All cut small, you could see a bit of carrot and maybe some yellow squash. I never analyzed it, now I wish I had. It also used a creamy sauce (probably a cheesy white sauce) in between the layers, rather than a tomato sauce. The creamy sauce went so much better with the flavor of the spinach than tomato sauce does. Topping it all was a combination of yellow and white cheeses.

I have tried other vegetable lasagnas, and there is no comparison. Everything I can find is tomato based, and the spinach is overwhelmed. (Trader Joes, and all the normal frozen brands)

I would love to find a version of this to make. Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (8)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I Googled this and no recipes came up.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know...me too!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

try googling vegetarian, spinach, or vegetable lasagne with white sauce or alfredo sauce. There seems to be some fantastic ones out there and you can use whatever veggies you prefer.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

This recipe from Food.com looks good:

Vegetarian Lasagna with White Sauce

2 small zucchini ( about 8 oz. each)
    1/2 bunch broccoli
    1 bunch spinach leaves ( firmly packed)
    2 tablespoons butter ( or margarine)
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt ( divided)
    15 ounces ricotta cheese ( can be part skim)
    2 eggs
    12 lasagna noodles ( about)
    3 tablespoons butter ( or margarine)
    1/4 cup flour
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    8 ounces mozzarella cheese ( slices)

Directions

Dice zucchini. Coarsely chop broccoli and spinach.

In a nonstick 12 -inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter (or margarine), cook zucchini, broccoli, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add Spinach and toss until wilted. remove skillet from heat.

In medium bowl, with fork, mix ricotta and eggs; set aside.

Prepare lasagna noodles as label directs. Drain.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter). Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.

In13-by-9-inch glass baking dish, layer half of the prepared lasagna noodles, half of the ricotta mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, and half of the mozzarella. Top with half of the sauce, then with the remaining noodles, ricotta, and vegetable mixture. Spoon remaining sauce over vegetable layer; arrange remaining mozzarella on top.

Bake lasagna 40 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let lasagna stand 10 minutes for easier serving.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That looks very promising, teresa! Thank you!

• HU-693319382
    3 years ago

I too miss Sara Lee's Veggie Lasagna. It was one of our holiday traditions for many years. When they were closing the outlet stores, I packed the freezer with as many as I could. I was hoping that down the line the grocery stores would carry it, like they do for their desserts. Unfortunately that never happened. However, I did have the foresight to tear the ingredients list off the last box. I have not made this myself, (as I am not very savvy in that department and have no idea what the measurements would be) but if anyone out there can recreate this dish, please do post. Thanks!

• HU-693319382
    2 years ago

If you're like me and not much of a cook, try Great Value Vegetable Lasagna located in the freezer section at Walmart. Surprisingly it's pretty close to Sara Lee's.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz