Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth1993

LOOKING for: Beef Barley Vegetable Soup

downsouth1993
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

It's cold here in Florida high 49 degrees - I know I know that's considered warm in other areas of the country. My blood has thinned since moving down south and I like to take advantage of those cold days to enjoy a big bowl of soup. Most of the time it's so hot here (including the hot flashes - I know TMI) that soup is not something I desire. Anyways, I'm looking for a killer beef barley veg soup. I looked in Recipezaar etc. but was wondering if someone had a favorite on this forum.

Thanks in advance - keep warm :-)

Comments (8)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I don't have a "recipe" as such....but if you are willing to spend time I can tell you how.
    It begins with the broth...
    I use beef spare ribs, 2 or 3 racks and I put them into the oven with a rough cut onion and a couple of stalks of celery and a couple of carrots and roast at 375 for about an hour and a half.
    Then toss into a stock pot and cover the whole mess with water...add a bay leaf or 2 about 3 cloves of garlic, and about half the stems from a bunch of parsley a cup of wine...I like to use a sherry or marsala.
    Bring to a boil and turn down the heat and simmer, very slowly for about 6 hours, uncovered...adding only enough water to keep the bones submerged..
    Cool until you can handle, remove bones and pick meat off and store separatly.....strain broth, chill and remove fat from the top.
    The next day return broth to pot and heat....
    You should have about 6 to 8 cups.
    Now comes the guesstimate part...
    Add a couple of chopped onions, celery, about 1/2 a head sliced across the stalk, 4 to 6 carrots peeled and cut into buttons, and what is very important to me for flavor is rutabega....not a lot...just about 1/4 cup cut into small slivers, add barley...I can't get any but "rolled" like old fashioned oatmeal, so I add about a cup....if you can get real barley...add about 2/3 cup as it swells like rice....but add more if you want to....
    I also add a 48 oz can of whole tomatoes which I break up with my fingers before adding, about 1/2 a pound of green beans I cut them into 1/4 inch pieces and about 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, and a like amount of corn....fresh or frozen and abhout 1/2 a cup of chopped fresh parsley leaves.
    Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, correct salt and pepper seasonings, it may need "brightening" so I add a little fresh lemon juice and taste....and maybe add more.
    When It's good....enjoy!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here you go:
    MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP (serves 6-8)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 lbs beef short ribs
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup sliced carrots
    Two 16 oz cans whole tomatoes, crushed, with liquid
    1 TBL salt, or to taste
    Marjoram & thyme to taste
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup barley, rinsed
    1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup chopped parsley

Heat the oil in a large heavy kettle. Add the meat & brown on all sides. Add the onions & carrots & saute for 5 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, seasonings & barley & 7 cups water. Bring to a boil, lwer the heat & simmer, covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until themeat is almost falling off the bones.
    Remove the meat & bones from the soup & cut the meat into 1" pieces. Add the meat & mushrooms to the soup. Cook 5 more minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the parsley & serve hot.~~Thyme for all Seasons

• downsouth1993
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Both look amazing and I will try Linda's some cold day on a weekend, but ginger's looks a little easier (okay so I'm lazy) and will give that a try now.

Thanks so much!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Hope you like it!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Hey, I thought you wanted a "killer recipe", not an easy one.
    I have an even easier one, it involves using canned broth, and when you use canned broth you don't have to skim the fat.....but home made broth that you have refrigerated and skimmed the fat from is best.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

That's exactly what she got, Linda - a killer recipe.

• downsouth1993
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm back - and ginger_st thomas I did make that soup recipe that day and it was great! Now I'm ready to try LindaC's easy recipe that she mentioned in her post above - if she's still kickin' around this site.
    Thanks both

• annainpa
    13 years ago

downsouth, thanks ever so much for posting this. I had never used ribs as part of soup stock before--can't wait to try.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs