Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

LOOKING for: Japanese Restuarant Salad Dressing???

piper101
16 years ago

Anyone know how to make this? I know it has fresh ginger, but that is all I know and I've tried bottled ones and they just aren't quite right. Every Japanese restaurant I've been to makes this and once I bought some from them in a styrofoam container but that place is to far away. I just couldn't bring myself to ask them how they made it.

This site has been such a help when other searching around has been ho-hum..Thank you all for ALL the contributions people make one this board. I for one, really enjoy it. :), Nicole

Comments (19)

• shambo
    16 years ago

Perhaps you could describe it a bit more... Is it creamy or a vinaigrette? I've only had the creamy kind at Japanese restaurants, but I know there are plenty of Asian inspired vinegar-based dressings out there. Also, is it smooth or are there bits of finely minced "stuff" in there? Possibly shallots, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, etc? And what was the color -- golden, reddish, whitish, etc.?

This info might help the others on this forum come up with better suggestions for you.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese dressing

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's another, similar one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restaurant dressing

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The second one of Ginger's looks right. It is an apricot/orange colored dressing that is not creamy. Thx.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I have made the first one that Ginger posted for years. It tastes like the dressing that used to be served in the Benihana chain of Japanese steakhouses.

• annova914
    16 years ago

Regarding the Makoto-style Japanese dressing...how much of the fresh ginger would be needed? Maybe a teaspoon of minced ginger?? Both recipes sound good. Ann

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I'd probably use a little more but I like that flavor.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I love that Japanese style of salad dressing - thanks for the recipes. Off the salad subject, but you made me think of this recipe which I've made and its really good.

JAPANESE SHRIMP STEAKHOUSE SAUCE

Posted by Linda_inTennessee (My Page) on Wed, Nov 3, 04 at 13:55
    I finally found a shrimp sauce that is very close in taste to the sauces at Japanese Steak Houses. We just pour it over our shrimp, veggies and rice and have a great dinner. I did find that it was a bit thick when I first made it, so I carefully added a bit of water to thin it up and it was still very good.

1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
    3 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon water
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
    salt

1. Start with the 1 cup mayo and then whisk in the ingredients in order of listing - taste before adding salt and adjust any seasonings.
    2. You should not be able to taste any one ingredient.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I MADE IT LAST NIGHT - Here is what happened. 1st/2nd one of listed were almost identical,,made 2nd one and doubled it since I was going to the effort.

First off, I had read one of the reviews on one of them and said,,keep adding sugar etc. Well, I had the sesame oil, the rice wine vinegar etc. I made it exactly as described and it came out really dark brown. I had to end up adding and I counted 17 tsp. of sugar!!! I know, how is that possible, but it was needed. It tasted good but it wasn't it. Tasted like many I had in bottles. The ones I've always had at J. Restaurants is light orange with more pulp (I think), a more delicate,lighter flavor and not brown, that is for sure.

What do you think? I didn't read the other posts, I just had to put this down to see if anyone had suggestions. Thank you and we'll try again.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I used about 1 inch of fresh, peeled Ginger then added the 2nd inch (for doubling the recipe). I didn't know how much to put in either. The heaviness or over powering part was the soy sauce (I think) and I used light soy sauce. Maybe I should just go into my local take out place and catch them at a time when someone can understand me and ask them. The Doubled batch made 2 cups by the way. I did add a little veg. oil (maybe couple tsp) to try and 'water it down', but it wasn't much help.

• blizlady
    16 years ago

Did you try the first dressing that ginger st. thomas posted yet? When I did a search, that one came up most often and had an orangy color when a pic was posted. I also found another one that was posted a lot.

House Ginger Salad Dressing

A Japanese style salad dressing at Teppan-yaki restaurants.
    Mix following ingredients and keep it in a refrigerator.

12 T. Vegetable Oil *
    6 T. White rice Vinegar
    5 T. White Miso (soy bean paste)
    4 T. Grated raw onion (with juice)
    2 T. Grated raw carrot
    1 tsp. Sugar
    2 T. Juice from grated ginger

* Light oil such as corn, cotton, sunflower, etc.
    You may adjust the amount of miso, vinegar, or ginger juice to fit to your taste.
    Dash with lemon or lime juice will make a difference in the flavor.

• piper101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blizlady - Thx! I'm going to try this one next. Maybe it's the carrot that gives that color,,,,?? Ginger Juice but not the actual grated ginger? hmm. Thank you.

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

I love ginger dressing, too. In fact, I just packed tomorrow's lunch, which is going be an Asian chicken salad with this dressing.

I found this recipe on AllRecipes (I'll put the link below), but I tweaked it, as others did. The carrots do give it a nice orange color. Here's how I made it the last time, but I'll probably continue to experiment with it.

Asian Ginger Dressing

3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
    1/3 cup peanut oil
    1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
    1/3 cup rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons pureed carrot

I put everything in the blender.

Here is a link that might be useful: AllRecipes Asian Ginger Dressing

• robmiranda
    14 years ago

There's this restaurant which serves shredded cabbage salad with spicy ika (squid.)The dressing on the salad is slightly creamy but very light. I hope someone can help me out on the recipe for this. Thank you so much.

• jocchiuzzi_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

GINGIS IN Columbus Ohio has the best soup and ginger salad dressing I would like the reciept for both I WAS TOLD It was in the Columbus Dispatch paper but I could not find it

• mysticpris_gmail_com
    12 years ago

There is a salad dressing I just finished called Teresa's
    and I thought it was very good.
    the ingredients are soybean oil, distilled vinegar,soy sauce
    ginger,carrot,garlic,onion,sugar, and tomato paste.

• MusicalDuet
    12 years ago

I know EXACTLY what Piper101 is looking for, because I've been looking for the same thing, and have yet to locate a specific recipe that is even close to this one that I've been longing to find. I did ask the sushi restaurant once what was in it and they said something about ground fresh ginger and sesame seeds, honey and......????

Anyway, this is a thin dressing much like milk, but slightly thicker, and is close to a white-creamy-light beigecolor, and it clearly has ground ginger in it. ANY IDEAS??? :)

• natal
    11 years ago

Musical, sounds similar to the one I've been searching for too. I made Blizlady's recipe today. It was good, but it's not even close to what I remember.

Next attempt I'll try it with white miso, rice vinegar, grated ginger, carrots, brown sugar, and maybe a touch of sesame oil.

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Japanese Steakhouse Ginger Salad Dressing

1/2 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup peanut oil
    1/3 cup rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons minced celery
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    4 teaspoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender.
    Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds or until all of the ginger is well-pureed.
    This recipe yields 1 3/4 cups.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions