Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: looking for: cafeteria broccoli cheese soup

Posted by mandogirl (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 12:40

My grad school cafeteria made a broccoli cheese soup that was to die for. It was nothing very gourmet. It was bright yellow, so they probably used processed cheddaresque food or cheddar that's not very expensive. It was very cheesy, very rich, with a ton of broccoli florets. It was probably horrible for me, but it was so good, and sometimes on a cold winter day for a treat, I'd love to duplicate it. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for: cafeteria broccoli cheese soup

"Cheddaresque" - I love it!

Here's the recipe I use and love -

Marilyn's Best Broccoli Soup
1 cup fresh broccoli chopped small
cup onion chopped small
3 tablespoons butter
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock or broth
cup heavy cream
to cup shredded Velveeta or cheddar cheese
Steam broccoli until tender. Meanwhile, in a heavy sauce pan, saut onion in butter until tender. Wisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth and simmer for one minute. Gradually stir in broth until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in cream, broccoli and cheese and simmer to desired thickness.

o

* Exported from MasterCook *

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 onion -- chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 package frozen chopped broccoli -- (16 ounce)
4 cans chicken broth -- (14.5 ounce)
1 loaf processed cheese food -- (1 pound) cubed
2 cups half and half
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Add minced garlic and cook and stir until frangrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in half and half. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Mix into soup; cook and stir until thick.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with croutons sprinkled over the top.

NOTES : Used leftover broccoli - cooked peeled and chopped stems as directed, but added chopped florets at the end.

o

I never cared for pkged dry soup mixes, but this one is wonderful! MY opinion ONLY!

Served it on three occassions, and nary a nose turned up, and soup bowls clean.

o

I can also vouch for the Bear Creek soup mixes - I like a lot of them, in fact, and the Cheddar Broccoli is one of my faves. Fast, easy, tasty...

seagrass

o

Thank you! I will try these and look for the soup mix!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here