Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

RECIPE: looking for: cafeteria broccoli cheese soup

mandogirl
17 years ago

My grad school cafeteria made a broccoli cheese soup that was to die for. It was nothing very gourmet. It was bright yellow, so they probably used processed cheddaresque food or cheddar that's not very expensive. It was very cheesy, very rich, with a ton of broccoli florets. It was probably horrible for me, but it was so good, and sometimes on a cold winter day for a treat, I'd love to duplicate it. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• woodie
    17 years ago

"Cheddaresque" - I love it!

Here's the recipe I use and love -

Marilyn's Best Broccoli Soup
    1 cup fresh broccoli chopped small
    ¼ cup onion chopped small
    3 tablespoons butter
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
    3 tablespoons flour
    2 cups chicken stock or broth
    ½ cup heavy cream
    ½ to ¾ cup shredded Velveeta or cheddar cheese
    Steam broccoli until tender. Meanwhile, in a heavy sauce pan, sauté onion in butter until tender. Wisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth and simmer for one minute. Gradually stir in broth until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in cream, broccoli and cheese and simmer to desired thickness.

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

* Exported from MasterCook *

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 onion -- chopped
    1/2 cup butter
    1 package frozen chopped broccoli -- (16 ounce)
    4 cans chicken broth -- (14.5 ounce)
    1 loaf processed cheese food -- (1 pound) cubed
    2 cups half and half
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2/3 cup cornstarch
    1/2 cup water

In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Add minced garlic and cook and stir until frangrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in half and half. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Mix into soup; cook and stir until thick.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with croutons sprinkled over the top.

NOTES : Used leftover broccoli - cooked peeled and chopped stems as directed, but added chopped florets at the end.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

I never cared for pkged dry soup mixes, but this one is wonderful! MY opinion ONLY!

Served it on three occassions, and nary a nose turned up, and soup bowls clean.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    17 years ago

I can also vouch for the Bear Creek soup mixes - I like a lot of them, in fact, and the Cheddar Broccoli is one of my faves. Fast, easy, tasty...

seagrass

• mandogirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! I will try these and look for the soup mix!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia