Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

LOOKING for: Good Veggie recipes wanted

JoAnn_Fla
14 years ago

We don't eat meat lately and would like some T & T veggie recipes. No beans please, and I won't eat mushrooms. Thanks

Comments (8)

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Ann T originally posted this Greek vegetable stew - one of my favorites:

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera =======================================================

Adapted from: Krinos Foods

(The original recipe called for a large can of tomatoes and did not include garlic or oregano.)

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera)This is a traditional vegetable mixture that is often eaten cold, accompanied by hunks of country bread and feta cheese.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped (or dried)
    1 14 ounce can of Italian-style tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 cup chicken broth

Heat oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.Add Garlic and green beans and sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, cayenne pepper, parsley and oregano. Pour tomatoes and their juices over vegetables. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Can be prepared 1 day ahead -- cover and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    6 To 8 Servings

• woodie
    14 years ago

We liked this recipe but I use red peppers and leave out the mushrooms in my half, Ken likes the mushrooms in his - I know you could add in anything else you might like such as corn.

Rice Stuffed Green Peppers

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 6
    Categories : Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 large green peppers
    1/4 cup oil
    1 small onion -- finely chopped
    1 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/3 cup chopped nuts -- (we like cashews)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    3 cups cooked brown rice
    salt -- to taste
    3 tablespoons parmesan cheese -- or cheddar

Cut slice off top of pepper and remove seeds and membrane. Chop usable trimmings.

Saute onion in oil until tender. Add chopped green pepper, celery and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes.

Stir in nuts cheddar cheese rice and salt. Stuff peppers with mixture and set in oiled baking dish. Sprinkle tops with 3 tablespoons cheese.

Pour 1/2" water in baking pan. Bake at 375F for 35-35 minutes or until tender.

• woodie
    14 years ago

How about soup for dinner?

OVEN BAKED SPLIT PEA AND LENTIL SOUP
    2 - 32 ounce containers low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup dried split peas
    1 cup dried lentils
    4 carrots, sliced
    4 celery ribs, sliced
    2 medium size red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in an ovenproof Dutch oven.
    Bake, covered, at 350 for 2 hours or until peas and lentils are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
    Yield 8 cups
    Source: Southern Living Magazine
    Recipe by Schley Sharpley, Atlanta, GA
    (Note: I took about a cup of the soup and pureed it in the blender to thicken it and added it back in.)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Here is a new one I made last week. Unbelievably good as a side, but I think it would make a nice entree served over rice or orzo, too.

Grilled Ratatouille
    Source: Rachel Ray Magazine

3 large tomatoes, halved crosswise
    2 bell peppers, quartered
    2 zucchini, thickly sliced lengthwise
    1 eggplant, thickly sliced lengthwise
    1 onion, thickly sliced crosswise
    1 head garlic, halved crosswise
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preheat a grill to medium-high. On a large baking sheet, arrange the tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, onion and garlic in a single layer. Brush with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Transfer the vegetables to the grill and cook, turning once, until just tender and slightly charred, about 5 minutes for the tomatoes, 8 minutes for the peppers, zucchini and eggplant and 10 minutes for the onions and garlic. Return to the baking sheet and let stand until cool enough to handle.

Chop the peppers, zucchini, eggplant and onions into ½-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Squeeze out the garlic cloves, finely chop and add to the bowl. Working over the bowl, slip off and discard the tomato skins and remove the cores, then crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the bowl. Add the olives and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and toss.

1/28/10 This is incredible! I subbed a carrot for the eggplant. Could easily sub black olives for the kalamata. I also grilled them on my cast iron stove-top grill pan. Worked well.

• annova914
    14 years ago

We love Vegetable Fritto Misto. It's a Giada D recipe. Check the reviews following the recipe for tips (using an eggwash is a great idea). We loved the lemon slices (what a surprise!) and the fennel the most. I just tossed some mayo, garlic, lemon juice and cayenne in the food processor for my dip and it was very good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/vegetable-fritto-misto-with-lemon-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html

• angelaid
    14 years ago

I've been roasting all kinds of different vegetables like this:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed, halved
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (205 degrees C).
    2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
    3. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.

And any lightly steamed veggie covered in hollandaise sauce will be devoured! LOL

• alyssainca
    14 years ago

More of a side dish, but we love sliced zucchini, red pepper and onion seasoned with garlic salt, chili powder and cumin. I've roasted and sauteed them - I think the roasted is better.

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

If you have some asparagus that is getting past its prime, hereÂs a good way to use it up:

ASPARAGUS PANCAKES Â makes 20 (2 inch) pancakes

1/ 2 lb. trimmed fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch length
    2 large eggs
    1/ 4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1/ 2 tsp. salt
    1/ 8 tsp. black pepper
    3 Tbs. flour
    1 Tbs. melted butter
    Hollandaise sauce (optional)

Cook the asparagus in salted water to cover just until tender, 2 to 3 minute. Drain and let cool to room temperature. Finely chop in a food processor or with a knife.

In medium bowl, whisk the eggs until thoroughly mixed. Whisk in the cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and flour and stir until evenly blended.

Preheat a large heavy skillet or griddle over moderate heat. Brush very lightly with a little of the melted butter. Using 1 tablespoon of the batter for each pancake, spoon the batter onto the hot surface and cook until the edges become dry and dull and the underside golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn with a spatula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a hot platter and repeat with the remaining batter and melted butter. Serve topped with a little dollop of Hollandaise sauce, if desired.

Notes: Herbs like tarragon or marjoram can be added to the batter.