Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azstoneconsulting

LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread

azstoneconsulting
15 years ago

Hello All, and Happy New Year!!!

My wife and I grew up in Milwaukee/West Allis/New Berlin Wisconsin and

lived there until moving out here to Arizona in 1992.

One of the most enjoyable things we had in Wisconsin (West Allis in particular)

was the ability to visit Mamma Mia's at 8533 West Greenfield Avenue in West Allis,

and enjoy their world famous Garlic Bread - made fresh for every order!

Being permanent residents of Phoenix Arizona now - for the last 16 years, we

no longer are able to go back to West Allis for Mamma Mia's at any given time

of the year, hence my desperate plea:

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RECIPE FOR MAMMA MIA'S HOMEMADE GARLIC BREAD?

NOBODY out here in Arizona can make it the way Mamma Mia's can, and even

though I am on my New Year's Diet - I STILL HAVE A 16 YEAR LONG CRAVING

for Mamma Mia's Garlic Bread!!!!! :(

Trust me on this -

YOU HAVE'NT L I V E D........

UNLESS YOU HAVE HAD MAMMA MIA'S HOMEMADE GARLIC BREAD!!!!!!!!

CAN ANY OF YOU HELP A TRANSPLANTED CHEESEHEAD???

Thanks in advance..........

kevin

Comments (54)

• badds55_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I know what you mean. Mama Mia's is great. Believe it or not, there are some knock offs in the Milwaukee area that already have the same garlic bread...
    Here are the places I found. You may be able to contact them to see if they know of a place by you.

Capri Pizza Restaurant
    8340 W Beloit Rd
    Milwaukee, WI 53219
    (414) 543-5510ý

Leah's Italian Catering
    1303 West Edgerton Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53221
    (414) 281-0556ý

and

Mario's Natural Roman Pizza (The bread here is even larger and I think a little better...)
    225 Bay View Rd
    Mukwonago, WI 53149
    (262) 363-3661ý

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Maybe you could get them to ship it to you overnight? I've done that with Maine lobster (ordered from my favorite fish market up there) and for a price, they were willing to pack in freezer packs and styrofoam and ship the live lobsters. I would think bread would be even easier....

Call them and ask!

Alexa

• earl
    15 years ago

Here's the link to their website. Bread looks like normal Italian bread so the flavor you're looking for must be in the butter garlic sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of mamma mia's garlic bread

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Well, looking at the photo, it appears that the slices have been loaded with garlic butter and oregano and placed under the broiler again for cripsing.

Sounds good to me.

• october17
    14 years ago

Well, never had their garlic bread but . . .

America's test kitchen has a pretty good recipe. They said the trick is to grate the garlic (5 cloves), so it is very fine, no discernable pieces in it (a press doesn't make it fine enough). Then, take the garlic and a little water and saute at very low heat for a few min, then add 1 T butter to the pan and cook for about 10 min., still at the low heat. Add 7 more T butter, 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. spread over whole loaf of french bread (halved long way). Put halves back together, wrap in foil and put in 400 degree oven for 15 min. Remove from oven, unwrap, un-halve. Leave open on foil and put back in oven for 10 min to crisp up a bit. Take out of oven add 1/2 c grated parmaesan cheese and broil til lightly browned.

This was good, but next time I'll skip the cheese and added some oregano back in the garlic/butter melting step.

The flavor is different, lighter, somehow. It's a great way to use up some stale bread,

• azstoneconsulting
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you've never had Mamma Mia's Original Garlic Bread... you just haven't LIVED!

I am on a world tour right now for my business.. Currently writing this
    posting from Pitesti Romania. In the last three weeks, I've been to LA, London
    England, Frankfurt Germany, Addiss Abbaba Eithiopia, Sana'a Yemen, and now
    Romania. I went to the best pizza place here in Pitesti last night to try (what I
    was told) was the "best" garlic bread in Romania... well... it was good....

but it was NOT Mamma Mia's by any stretch of the imagination :-(

I'll keep looking for it, but my gut tells me that all roads point BACK to
    West Allis Wisconsin - On Greenfield Avenue west of 84th Street -
    actually, if my memory serves me right, Mamma Mia's is located on
    the South East corner of 85th Street and Greenfield Avenue.

Anyways... I'll keep hoping that SOMEONE will chime in with the recipe!!!!

BUMP!!!!

• marcia7439
    14 years ago

Arizona lady....
    I've had it, and have traveled 6 hours to get it...and it's taken me 40 years, but I have mastered the taste and texture...
    I was there for a pick up one day, they recycle their cut's off their crusts, and roll them into loaves of which they re-rise.
    I found this pizza dough recipe while I worked for a pizza place in Marshfield wi, in a pizza magazine...It took many of us to cut the recipe down to this...

Dough recipe...
    3/4 cup warm water
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups flour
    2-3 teaspoons gluten (found in most baking areas)
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 (or one package yeast)

I mix the whole thing up and let it rise,
    punch it down and rise again,
    punch it down a 3rd time and divide into half
    I roll into little logs about 2 inches wide and place in
    length and place in a bread pan.
    Butter the tops so they will split when pulled apart.
    Let rise again. to the top of loaf pan
    bake at about 375 for a glass pan till lightly golden brown,
    Then brush with water for that crispy crust and bake until golden brown. Let them cool if you like. just heat and dip into lots of butter!
    The gluten makes the dough stretchy and elastic....especially for flipping the dough and tossing
    It also make the bread dough rise Up instead of like homemade bread.

Let me know if you try it!
    Marcia

• marcia7439
    14 years ago

bump

• azstoneconsulting
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• azstoneconsulting
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump - ANYONE have THE Recipe from Mama Mia's in Milwaukee?

TIA

• Smokin_Paul
    12 years ago

> If you've never had Mamma Mia's Original Garlic Bread... you just haven't LIVED!

I second that!
    Although I prefer Capri's bread on 84th & Beloit ave, West Allis, Wi. Either place has the best Garlic bread I have every had. I've lived in California and other places looking for a good italian place but nothing comes close to Mama Mia's and Capri's. The owner of Capri's started out working for Mama Mia's so no surprise his food is as good or better. :-) There is also Leah's in muskego, the 13th & Edgerton location is gone.

Leah's Italian Restaurant
    S63W13640 Janesville Road
    Muskego, WI 53150
    (414) 425-6161

I'm getting fat just thinking about all this good italian food. :-)

• aqualight
    12 years ago

I'm originally from Milwaukee and grew up on Mama Mia's pizza when they had a place on Burleigh Ave. I left in 1982 but every time I come back, I'm off for their pizza and garlic bread. In fact, I've missed it so much, I did call them to see if I could get a few hints on what they do. Of course they know what they have and won't divulge much.

So I'm on a quest to figure this out. In fact I prepared some dough last night that could possibly be IT. I just took it out of the refrigerator and have to wait 2 hours before baking. Will let you know if I've found the Holy Grail of Garlic Fabulousity!

• pvcamom
    12 years ago

bump

• Claire Sauter
    9 years ago

I know I'm 5 years late to the post, but I have had Mama Mia's garlic bread when I lived in Port Washington. The garlic bread with the pooling butter is a guilty pleasure of mine as well!

A friend of mine who used to work there said that they dunk the bread in a vat of melted garlic butter. This is probably why it drips butter! I don't recall the actual bread being anything too special, probably any bakery Italian bread would do - not the crusty artisan type bread.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

hmmmm

preheat oven 350

one loaf italian bread, cut lengthwise
    2 sticks butter, melted with fresh garlic and fresh (or dried) parsley. note: BUTTER
    ⢠Line cookie sheet with foil
    ⢠Place bread cut side up,
    ⢠pour butter mixture atop breads
    ⢠adjust foil up sides to cradle bread (do not cover bread)
    ⢠Bake 15 minutes.

Devour. Make sure you have another batch ready to go when this one comes out.

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

dave

• Gary Sorenson
    8 years ago

I feel your pain, although I am about 5 minutes away from Mamma Mia's,I still want the recipe so I can make it at home. Tonight I will be making another attempt at making it and let you know how it goes. The secret is how its baked and not so much the ingredients aside from lots of butter.

• Gary Sorenson
    8 years ago

Also I have read all of the replies and no-one here but you and I know what mamma's has. In the past I have frozen the bread to eat at a later date. You thaw it out, wrap it in foil and bake it at 450 for 10 mins. Or so and it's just as good as fresh.

• Kathy Wadina
    7 years ago

I'm from WI and have lived in AZ for the last 15 years we go back every summer and I eat there at least 2 times and I bring some bread home to freeze. I will be there in 12 days can't wait.

• PRO
    Mary Rand JCPenny Custom Decorator
    7 years ago

I worked at Mama Mia's 45 years ago and I still dream about the garlic bread. I too live in Phoenix now but I can tell you how they made it , at least back then. Unfortunately I don't have a recipe. It is made fresh frequently during the day. It is made on large pans. The individual loaves are placed together touching each other so that they bake together. When they come out of the oven they are pulled apart so that you have a brown top but those wonderful open sides that suck up the butter. The loaves are individually dipped in a huge vat of warm garlic butter just before serving. we just picked them up with tongs and plunged them in, then put the loaf in a paper lined basket.

• PRO
    Mary Rand JCPenny Custom Decorator
    7 years ago

PS, the bread recipe is special and not the pizza dough. The bread has great flavor even without the garlic butter.

• Christa Brojanac
    6 years ago

This is too funny! I did a search for Mamma Mia's Pizza Garlic Bread Recipe and this came up. It is one of those things that you just get, and you and "don't get" it unless you have had it. We knew the owners growing up and I was born and raised on the Pizza and have a complete addiction to the Garlic bread, well and maybe the salad too and yes the Pizza. Every time I go home it is a must! The Mamma Mia's in Wales and Brookfield WI are the Original owners children. Still I can not make it at home (very sad me) I would very much love too make it though so I will be watching the post! NO Substitutions will do :)

• brochhausen20
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I joined this site just to post here. My dad first took me to Capri maybe 35 years ago and both the salad dressing and the garlic bread have been the same all these years. I just made the recipe posted above by Marcia way back in 2009 and it is very very close.

My oven is ancient and the temps are knowingly off, but I followed her directions exactly and the bread is nearly spot on. I cut off the edges when it was done. For my poorly calibrated oven, it took 15 min at 375 to get light brown and another 15 min to be fully cooked. (I would check every 5 minutes as my times are likely off.) For the butter, I used 1/2 stick butter, 1 tsp garlic powder (not granulated! Powder!) and a pinch of salt. I think that's pretty close, but could use some tweaking. Admittedly I used about 1/10 the garlic butter they use at the restaurant, but it is still so good.

If anyone is interested in Capri's salad dressing:

1/2 cup Olive oil (Capri uses Mama Francesca brand which I can't find anywhere but it has a distinct taste)

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 Tbsp garlic powder (not granulated! The real powdery stuff!)

3/4 tsp salt

I have confirmed with the waitresses a number of times those are the only four ingredients and after dozens of tries, I think that is the correct combination. In fact, I now consider this dressing to be superior to the restaurant's. (Capri seems to now be inconsistent with the dressing - last time I was there the waitress brought out a bowl of only olive oil! I of course had her bring a new one but the inconsistency comes from how much your waitress mixes it! I miss the days when they just tossed the dressing into the salad. Also the red lights and dark interior but I'm not getting that back!)

And for the Googlebot:

Capri garlic bread recipe, capri salad dressing recipe

• HU-313002284
    5 years ago

I have worked at Brookfield and the Burleigh location and i know the recipe for a big batch. I used to make them daily. I’m going to attempt to make it at home in a smaller batch and let you know how it goes.

• HU-153339524
    5 years ago

That’s awesome thank you

• garbredfan
    5 years ago

I, too, have been wondering and following this for years. I NEED to know!!! Thanks.

• HU-103249934
    5 years ago

I would like this too!

• garbredfan
    5 years ago

Hey HU-313002284, any results yet? Dying to get this figured out!!

• brochhausen20
    5 years ago

The recipe that Marcia posted above in 2009 is pretty close. A good enough starting point. Worst case, take a stick of melted butter, mix in 1 Tbsp garlic powder and 3/4 tsp of salt and you have the buttery finish. Put that on any bread and you're half way to Capri's.

• garbredfan
    4 years ago

Hey HU-...284,

gotten around to it yet? Please....!

• Deanna Cook
    3 years ago

Today is the first day since we left Wisconsin in September 2017 that I am excruciatingly homesick for the Mama Mia's Garlic Bread.

*sigh*

• Judy Shaw
    3 years ago

MAMMA MIA GARLIC BUTTER

Give bread, pasta, or even fish a jolt of Mediterranean flavor with our Italian-style, flavored butter recipe. Our Mama Mia Butter recipe is a great addition to an Italian-themed dinner spread!

What You'll Need

• 2 sticks butter, softened
    • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
    • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes

What to Do

1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.

2. Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to use, then let soften a bit before serving.

Serving Suggestions

• Soften and spread Mama Mia Butter generously over cut Italian bread then broil until golden for quick bruschetta.

• Melt flavored butter then drizzle over broiled white-fleshed fish.

• Saute with cooked pasta for fresh southern Italian flavor.

• Soften and serve with bakery-fresh Italian bread for a Mediterranean favorite that's ready in minutes.

• Smyleejj
    3 years ago

We used to have the "sister" to Mama Mia's...

Cortina's in Beaver Dam, WI, about 1 hr 15 min from Milwaukee. We've been craving their bread and trying to copycat the recipe 😫 to no avail. I've cut down Walmart bakery loaves and got the size almost dead on, it's the flavor we can't get. I'm sure it's real butter and garlic by the look and texture, just can't quite get it. Thank you for posting!

• Kathy Wadina
    3 years ago

Hi the Mama Mia's that we go to every time we are in Milwaukee is on 85th and Greenfield Ave. we go there to eat and then right before we go home we get about 6 loaves and freeze them. Then we just rewarm them when we have pizza or spagetti very good.

• Kathy Wadina
    3 years ago

if you want to make it slice french bread, melt a stick of butter and garlic juice. cut slices of the break dip and the butter and garlic juice put some parmasen cheese on it but it in the oven on broil until it's golden brown its about 5 minutes. If you don't like the parmasen cheese leave it off but soak both side of the slice in the butter. trust me you'll love it I make it and the whole loaf is gone in less than 5 minutes with 3 kids and 4 adults.

• HU-7757880
    3 years ago

Yup! Nope!.... Original can’t be duplicated.....If you have not been there.

• Chach Wonkatania
    3 years ago

Hi! This is 313002284. I forgot all about this post until I saw an email notification for it today. But the next day after I saw this post I made this garlic bread. It was very very close. Here’s a few pics.

• Chach Wonkatania
    3 years ago

It’s a basic dough. Flour, water, active dry yeast. You let it rise. Then you roll it out into long tubes and place it on an oiled cookie sheet. Let it rise again. Probably 1-2 hours. Can’t remember time and temp. Try 375 for 30-40 minutes. Let it cool.

In the meantime, melt a stick or two of butter.

Then cut the bread and rip them apart. Toast them in the oven directly on the rack at 425 for 5-7 minutes.

Pull breads out of the oven and dunk them in the garlic butter and dash garlic salt on both sides. Voila! Mama Mias garlic bread.

• Chach Wonkatania
    3 years ago

These breads turned out great but I don’t think I rolled them out thick enough and I did not let them rise. The whole dough process is very time consuming so if you want the express version, here it is:

Mama Mia’s Garlic Bread Fast Version

One loaf of Italian bread
    2 sticks of butter
    Garlic salt.

Preheat oven to 425.

Melt butter in a small saucepan.

Cut bread into 1-2 inch slices. Place slices in the oven directly on the center oven rack and toast for 5-7 minutes or barely golden brown.

Take breads out of the oven and dunk them in butter and sprinkle garlic salt on both sides.

I’ve made it this way for my family several times and they love it. Mama Mia’s garlic bread is toasted bread dunked in butter and covered in garlic salt. That’s it. Enjoy paisanos!

• HU-7757880
    3 years ago

You can travel the world, but never find garlic bread like Mama mia’s. seriously it’s that good!! Not even in Italy. Milwaukee is where it’s at!!

• HU-7757880
    3 years ago

Wow!!!! I’m making some now! Soo very close it looks like! Great pics!

• HU-153339524
    3 years ago

They use real butter and garlic salt to finish you toast it first

• HU-813715719
    2 years ago

did you ever get the recipe?

Or tried the cheesy garlic bread (dipped in butter?) at Oregano's??

• HU-99287949960
    last year

I’m a retired baker & it’s funny reading everone’s ”ideas”.

i could tell you exactly how Mama Mia does it but feel that secret should stay with them.

• dvanveghel
    last year

Unfortunately they are closing soon. They are down to the last restaurant out of the entire chain. I live in Grand Rapids now and I have So many childhood memories going to Milwaukee and getting the bread (and Kopps for that matter) when we'd visit my Aunt. If you are able to share any input or tips, please do!

• dvanveghel
    last year

Unfortunately they will be closing soon. They're down to the last restaurant. I have so many memories of going to visit my aunt and getting the bread on numerous occasions. Please share before it's too late!

• HU-542001492
    last year

I do get back to Wisconsin 2twice a year from Colorado. i bring back 8 loaves at a time!

• HU-731273068
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

None if the pictures look like it did there was no cheese and no oregano and the butter dripped when you lifted it from the basket there was a wax type paper on the bottom of the basket the bread was a light golden/yellow color because of the butter garlic salt

• HU-999906179
    last month
    last modified: last month

A few days ago I bought a loaf of crusty bread and the memories came back about Mama Mias. All the buzz about this garlic bread is absolutely true. Ive been visiting Mama Mias since the late 60s and there is still nothing that even comes close. After the bread is soaked in butter and baked you can see its gorgeous transparency. Then you take a bite and taste everything you hoped you saw...true perfection. Sendicks a Milwaukee grocery store also sells this bread. The ad didnt say they ship but it doesnt hurt to call. If it hasnt closed I think a nice road trip is in my immediate future!!!