Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

RECIPE: Tomatoes Rockefeller

woodie
16 years ago

Made these last night and they were so good, thanks Cindy5NY!

Cindy's Tomatoes Rockefeller

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 (10 oz) pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup breadcrumbs

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

dash worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp thyme

salt and pepper to taste

6 thick tomato slices

Saute onions in butter until almost soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Combine spinach, sauteed onions and garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, worcestershire, and seasonings.

Arrange tomato slices in a buttered baking dish. Divide spinach mixture evenly and spoon on top of tomato slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

4-6 servings

Comments (15)

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting it, Woodie! It sounds great!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Sounds good even without cream! :)

• annova914
    16 years ago

I'm making this once I can get my hands on some decent tomatoes (hope I don't have to wait until late June!). Thanks Woodie. I love baked tomatoes. Ann

• trixietx
    16 years ago

Copied and pasted, if I wait for really good tomatoes it will be June.

Thanks for the recipe Woodie, it sounds so good.

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Oy! What's ridiculous is that I've had that recipe in my "to-make" file since LAST summer, when I actually did have good tomatoes to use! Think it will have to wait until this summer... But good to hear that it is getting such rave reviews.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Woodie: This recipe sounds interesting, but would you serve this as:
    a main course? What meal?
    or as a side dish? to what foods?

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Made this last night and we really enjoyed it as well. Even son who only likes uncooked spinach, liked it. One thing of note, was the recipe calls for 6 thick sliced tomatoes and I used 9 and found there was more than enough topping. Could have probably even used 12 slices with no problem.

Thanks again for the recipe woodie!

Westelle, I would serve it as a side dish, although you probably could use if for a main if you wanted. I served mine with salmon cakes and fries.

Shelley

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

I usually use this recipe as a side dish - in the summer it goes nicely with grilled meats and a cold, creamy salad like potato or macaroni salad. But the leftovers are good by themselves for lunch :) I've also made it with creamy pasta dishes like macaroni and cheese.

Shelley - you are right about the number of tomato slices, I usually use different amounts too, it depends on the size of the tomatoes .... I guess when I first wrote out the recipe, I had a big tomato :)

Thanks for posting Woodie, glad that you liked it :)
    Cindy

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

And LOL Ginger - the original recipe called for creamed spinach - I should have thought of you before I changed it! :)

Cindy

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Sorry Cindy, Meant to thank you for the recipe, but was reading woodie's post at the same time, lol. Thank you!

It is a great recipe!

Shelley

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Oh no big deal Shelley, sorry that I jumped in like that, I just happened to see the thread and figured I'd put my 2 cents in :)

Cindy

• woodie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Cindy, thanks again for the recipe. I served mine as a vegetable side dish along with turkey meatloaf and potatoes and then I had one for breakfast the next morning :)

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Bet you could just fix this as a casserole minus the tomatoes until we start getting home grown ones again?? That is what I do with a recipe I have for spinach stuffed onions and actually like it better that way. Of course right now we are getting really sweet onions here too.........will have to try that. Love spinach so thanks for sharing.

• woodie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good idea, RL. I think one time San mixed in some halved cherry tomatoes and baked it. Years ago I used to mix spinach and parmesan and breadcrumbs and stuff a pocket cut into a flank steak with it and just roast it so it was still pretty rare - haven't thought about that in years.

• san_
    16 years ago

good memory, woodie! i really dislike "winter tomatoes" and the season here is quite short so yes, using cherry or grape tomatoes seemed to be the only option i had the first time i made this. as it so happens, i made cindy's recipe again today to take to a brunch with some of my co-workers. i wanted it today because it's a very nice foil to sweet breakfast casseroles but it's also a good side dish for things like baked chicken or a grilled steak or ted's favorite of shake 'n bake pork chops!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus