Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

LOOKING for: quinoa recipes

gellchom
18 years ago

Yum, I love it!

But I don't know too many ways to make it. So I need your tips for making the perfect basic, plain quinoa, and also any great recipes you've found or invented.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

I've never tried it, but I found these for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: quinoa recipes

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Hi Daisy, I ventured over here from the harvest forum.

I just bought quinoa two days ago and have been trying to decide what to do with it. I found some recipes at Bob's Red Mill.

Melly

Here is a link that might be useful: Quinoa recipes

• jessyf
    18 years ago

I inhale the stuff. I'm trying to convert the world over to quinoa, especially Jews who observe Passover protocol - its approved!

I put mine in a rice cooker, toss in some broth/powder/bouillion, some dried shiitake mushrooms, and a handful of frozen peas.

Think of it as 'pilaf'. I don't think it holds well together so things like dumplings wouldn't work. The grains are so small it would get lost in soup. A friend makes it with brown rice for a macrobiotic staple. You could make tabboulies (sp?) out of it, and I'd love to make stuffing out of it for cutlets...hmmm....I have turkey cutlets in my fridge...

• gellchom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I had fun looking at all those recipes. I made one last night that included quinoa, yams, butternut squash, onion, butterbeans, and dried cranberries. MMMM!!! It is from recipeland.com. Here it is:

Autumn Quinoa & Butter Beans
    1/2 c Quinoa
    2 tb Margarine
    3/4 c Finely chopped onion
    1 tb Minced fresh ginger
    3/4 c Orange juice
    2/3 c Water
    2 tb Honey
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Ground coriander
    1/4 ts Ground cardamom
    1/8 ts Ground nutmeg
    1 c Diced sweet potato -(1/2" pieces)
    1 c Diced butternut squash -(1/2" pieces)
    1 1/2 c Cooked/canned butter beans -(drained and rinsed) 1/4 c Chopped cranberries

Thoroughly rinse the quinoa by placing it in a large bowl and filling the bowl with cold water. Drain the quinoa and repeat the rinsing and draining 4 more times; set aside. [At this point I modified the recipe by dry-toasting the quinoa in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.]

Melt the margarine in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ginger, and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened. Stir in the orange juice, water, honey, salt, coriander, cardamom, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potato and squash; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 7 minutes. Stir in the butter beans and quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in the cranberries; simmer, covered, 5 minutes longer.

Calories: 345 Total Fat: 6.7 g Protein: 10.8 g Saturated Fat: 1.3 g Carbohydrates: 56.0 g Cholesterol: 0 Fiber: 8.8 g Sodium: 392 mg

• farmhouseindy
    18 years ago

Oh I have the best recipe!! My daughter found it in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking. It is Quinoa Chowder with Spinach and Feta. I was very hesitant about the sounds of it but she made it and everyone LOVED IT. If you are interested, I will type it out. Very flavorful!

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Farmhouseindy, oh, do share it. One of these days it will be soup weather again here in TX and I'd love to try it.

• grainlady_ks
    18 years ago

Here's a recipe we like to use for breakfast. Source: The Splendid Grain by Rebecca Wood. - grainlady

Breakfast Quinoa
    (Makes 3-3/4 c.)

2 c. fresh orange juice
    1 t. ghee or unrefined sesame oil (I use butter.)
    1 t. honey
    1/8 t. sea salt
    1 c. quinoa or 1-1/3 c. domestic quinoa, well washed
    2 T. pecans, roasted and chopped very fine

Combine the orange juice, ghee, honey, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Watch closely to keep the orange juice from boiling over. Add the quinoa, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all of the juice has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Add the pecans and fluff with a fork.

• gellchom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, please do share it, Farmhouseindy, if it's not too much trouble. It sounds delicious.
    Thanks also to you, grainlady. That sounds like it would be a good side dish, too. In fact, I love to eat the leftovers for breakfast anyway.

• farmhouseindy
    18 years ago

Quinoa Chowder with Spinach, Feta and Scallions
    from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking

1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well in a fine sieve
    2 T olive
    1 garlic clove, finely copped
    1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced (watch your hands!!) or use the ones in a jar though I don't think taste is as good)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    salt and fresh pepper
    1/2 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 cubes
    1 bunch scallions, including an inch of the greens, thinly sliced into rounds
    3 cups finely sliced spinach leaves
    1/4 pound feta cheese, finely diced
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    1 hard-cooked egg, chopped

Put quinoa and 2 quarts of water in pot, bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. While it is cooking, dice the vegetables and cheese. Drain, saving the liquid. Measure the liquid and add water to make 6 cups if needed.
    Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and chile. Cook for about 30 seconds, giving it a quick stir. Add the cumin, salt and potatoes and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Don't let garlic brown. Add the quinoa water and half the scallions and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the quinoa, spinach and remaining scallions and simmer for 3 more minutes. turn off heat and stir in feta and cilantro. season soup with pepper and garnish with chopped egg.

That isi it! As someone mentioned, the quinoa does fall apart and is not regular pasta in that way. I couldn't even tell you what quinoa tastes like! BUT this soup tastes so refreshingly good. And it tastes just as good, if not better, the next day.

• gellchom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, farmhouseindy. I notice the quinoa only cooks for 10 minutes at first, and then not much more in the rest of the recipe. Does it really cook that fast? That hasn't been my experience. I seem to need to cook it at least 20 minutes. Maybe I have a funny kind of quinoa?

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Thanks, Farmhouseindy, will give this a try. Love soups and love feta cheese and spinach so am sure I will enjoy this.

• farmhouseindy
    18 years ago

it is enough cooking time for sure, at least with my TJ quinoa. I had never cooked it before so I can't compare. But total cooking time is about 25 minutes. Fran kly I simmered for longer than the time stated. Then you reheat the next day. Try it and let me know what you think. We loved it!

• Marigene
    18 years ago

Here is another recipe that has quinoa in it and is very good!

Sopa de Quinoa con Chancho/Quinoa Soup with Pork
    8-10 servings

2 T olive oil
    1 t ground annatto or sweet paprika
    1/2 cup chopped scallions (white part and 1 inch of green)
    1 cup finely chopped leek (white part and 1 inch of green)
    1 medium tomato ripe but firm, peeled and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, mashed into paste with 1 t salt
    1/2 t freshly ground pepper
    1/2 ground cumin
    3/4 lb. lean pork from the leg or shoulder trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2 in cubes
    6 cups hot water
    1 lb. boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
    3/4 cup cooked quinoa
    1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts or natural peanut butter pureed with 1 cup milk
    1 cup frozen peas
    8 large basil leaves, chopped
    Pinch of cayenne
    Minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish

1. Heat the oil in a heavy 4 quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in the annatto, then add the scallions, leeks, toamto, garlic paste, and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the pork cubes and cook for a couple of minutes, tossing so they are well coated with the vegetable mixture. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
    2. Add the potatoes, quinoa, and peanut puree. Partially cover and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, basil, and acayenne and cook for a couple of minutes to heat the peas through. Taste for salt and black pepper.
    3. Serve hot, granished with the parsley.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

I used to boil it with some chopped onion and maybe a leaf of cabbage thrown in the pot.
    Then served with russian dressing.

It worked for awhile.

Tried millet?it is worse:(.

• gellchom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I made quinoa again last night. I just wanted a simple side dish this time, pretty plain. It came out quite well, not bland at all (I noticed my daughter, who earlier had confessed that she really didn't like quinoa, take a second helping), so I thought I'd share the recipe for basic quinoa I worked out.

Gellchom's basic quinoa

1 c quinoa
    2 c vegetable stock
    a little minced garlic
    pinch thyme
    salt & pepper
    a little minced parsley

Heat dry pot on medium low heat and add quinoa. Stir to toast for about 5 minutes. Then add everything else, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Let it sit, covered, a little.

I think you could add all kinds of other goodies to this -- lemon, toasted pine nuts, mushrooms? -- in our never-ending battle to satisfy the urge for starch without resorting too often to white rice, white potatoes, white pasta....