Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

LOOKING for: Partners for a......

gardenlad
17 years ago

..... virtual progressive dinner.

IÂm doing this at another site, and weÂre really having fun with it. ItÂs a great way to exchange recipes and try new dishes; a natural for this forum.

For starters, I made a list of possible courses that would accommodate as many people as possible. We could, by having more than one side-dish, go with as many as eight. Or we can have as few as 5. If enough people want to play, we could even have two dinners progressing at the same time.

Each person is assigned one of those courses, to be posted no later than Wednesday of that week. This allows plenty of time for anyone who actually wants to try the recipe to do so over the weekend, and then post comments the following week.

Each week everybody moves up one course. That is, if you had, say, the entrée this week, next week you would do dessert. By rotating through the positions we wind up with a series of menus, not just single-recipes.

Any, if anyone wants to join IÂll be happy to manage it, keeping track of who has what course due.

Let me know if youÂd like to join. If we get enough interest weÂll get started.

Comments (44)

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

I'm game but still a little confused... Does that mean we actually make our dish at home and take pictures and post them the day of the "virtual dinner?"

Em

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not necessarily. What I have in mind is that each recipe you post has to be T&T. That way, you know that it works.

Other people then have the option of actually making it or not. If they do, however, I would hope to see their thoughts and comments posted.

If you want to post pix, that's fine. But it's certainly not required. Mandating photos would leave out to many members (like me) who don't own digital cameras.

Each week's dinner will be a separate thread. Logistically it just works out better that way.

So, for instance, if we were all ready to go, this week, on Monday I would post the list of who's to make what. The recipe's should then be posted by Wednesday. Anyone intending to actually prepare the recipes can then have time to shop and cook before the next week's dinner rolls around.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds.

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Gotcha -- Sure, count me in. I'm always game for hearing about more T&T recipes!

Emily

• san_
    17 years ago

oh lord...in some ways i'm as steady as a rock and in others, really quite undependable. there have been other "virtual dinners" done on the CF side of the house and i've joined one or two and had alot of fun! your concept is similar but with a twist and i think i need to "bite the bullet" and commit to it. having said that, could you hold things off for a week? this forum isn't quite as active as the CF and obviously, given another week, more people will have had a chance to think about it and decide to join in. but either way, count me in.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

I'd be interested but just wondered about the timeframe - I know that I have some week long trips and/or commitments coming up in the next few months. Is this a thing that would need a weekly commitment, or is it more flexible than that?

If I can't participate, I'd surely follow along :)

Cindy

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm in no rush, San. Didn't figure we'd get this up and running until next week, anyway.

My understanding, too, is that those over at CF have been more in the nature of theme dinners; i.e., South American, or Pork Chop, or some such. And over there the idea was that everybody make the dishes, and then compare notes.

Cindy, seems to me these things should be fun, not something to get our panties in a bunch over. What happens at a real progressive dinner if something comes up? I imagine they just reschedule.

Same here. It's a weekly thing, in general. But if that turns out to be inconvenient for one of the players, then we should just reschedule. Or maybe skip that course that week, assuming it's feasible. For instance, nothing great would be lost if we skipped the appetiser or salad courses. But the entree would be something else.

Easy enough to work something out, regardless.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

OK, GL, count me in.

This could be difficult for me. I seldom take "assignments" and almost never do as I'm told. (grin)

Annie

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ve haf vays of keeping you hin line, freulein Annie. You vill do as you are supposed to do. Bwa ha ha ha ha!

• woodie
    17 years ago

Sounds like fun to me, count me in. Actually, I just really want to see how you're going to keep Annie in line, LOL! From what I understand, many men have tried but failed. Only her Father has The Power - all he has to do is say "Angela" and she turns into a pussycat.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Woodie, it's not "The Power". I happen to know that Dad has access to a cattle prod.

Bring it on, GL!

Annie

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

Sounds like fun. I would play but am working really hard on losing some weight, so while I may be able to contribute, I wouldn't likely be able to enjoy any of the recipes at this time.

I will cheer you on from the sidelines though!

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

Looks like I'll be in good company here, so I will give it a go. Heck, I've got to figure out dinners anyway!

Nancy

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Ah, but Chase, I already asked. I don't actually have to COOK or EAT anything, just contribute my recipe. Nothing says it can't be healthy, either.

Annie

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chase, if you come in we'd have 8, which is a really good number for this sort of thing. Let's us have complete soup to nuts meals.

And, because they're virtual meals, there are virtually no calories.

So, come play with us!

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

If you need another person, let me know! I only just saw this post. If not, I can wait for a week when there are fewer people.

Let me know!

Who has been in a cooking mood lately.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You can start with the rest of us, Dances.

What we're doing is assembling the group, letting this introductory thread run this week so that people can find it. We'll start the dinners next week.

I'll handle the logistics of who is assigned what course. And, with more people, we just add more courses. Always room for one more at the party.

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Wow! This sounds like fun...if you can stand one more participating here? I may be tardy, on occasion, but would love to try for a few weeks! ;)

If not, I'll stand on the side line!

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome, welcome, the more the merrier.

Got you on the list, Vagardengirl.

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Thank you! :) This should be fun...

• woodie
    17 years ago

I'm looking forward to this! I think it will be fun.

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

This sounds like fun, but is EVERYONE going to be assigned a dish each week, or will it go in an order? 5 course dinner, #12345 enter a recipe. #678910 enter a recipe etc etc.
    I wouldn't want to be required to come up with a recipe EVERY week! Maybe once a month.
    Nancy

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gameplan is to do this every week, Nancy, with everyone contributing. But each week you'll have a different kind of dish to offer.

Thus, if you have, say, drinks & munchies this week, then next week you'll move up a spot, to appetisers. And so on.

I'll be arranging the list tonight, for the first run-through. So let us know for sure if you want to play.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

gardenlad sounds like a lot of fun but I will pass on this go 'round. Even though I know I don't have to cook, I'll want to! It's so much a part of the fun.

However I will be on the sidelines watching, oohing an aahing and copying recipes and maybe even cooking a few.

I'm assuming that those of us not actually playing can chime in would we were to use some of the recipes?

• san_
    17 years ago

oh chase--when did this crew NOT chime in???

i don't understand all the nuances of the game plan and either garden lad will make it clear or he'll let us sort it out as we go along :) in any case, i'm ready for my assignment. you ready to post, GL?

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So, okay. Looks like we're ready to go. We have 9 definate players; ten if Nancy decides to come in for sure. If she does, we'll just add a final course.

Because of this number there are some courses that are almost repetitious. But we don't have to eat them, so it's ok. Here's what I envision:

1. Drinks & munchies.
    2. Appetiser.
    3. 1st course. This should be a bit more than an appetizer, but not so much as to become an entree. And, yeah, that's a subtle differentiation. So we'll play it by ear.
    4 Soup.
    5. Salad.
    6. Entree
    7. Side dish 1.
    8. Side dish 2
    9. Dessert.

If we need it, we'll add 10: Coffee And. That course would include both a coffee drink and something to nosh with it.

Each dish should be tried and true. It doesn't have to be original to you (although that would be nice). But it should be something you've already made, and recommend.

Where appropriate, plating suggestions should be included with the recipe. And any notes you have modifying the recipe should be included as well.

Yes, non-players who try the recipes are invited to offer comments and suggestions.

Logistically, here's how we'll work things. I will post assignments on Sunday nights or Monday mornings, identifying each progression by it's due-date, i.e., Progressive Dinner For Jan 24. The recipe should be posted by Wednesday night, each week. Anyone who tries a dish and wants to comment should do so on the thread the recipe appears.

In addition, I will start a thread that does nothing but keep track of the recipes, week by week. That should make it easier to recover a recipe if anyone wants to. Players should not post on that thread.

I'm sure we'll work out any problems that arise as we go along, and that the basic plan will, no doubt, be modified. But let's try it as outlined, first, and see how things, eh, progress.

• woodie
    17 years ago

Just a thought.....is Monday morning with the recipe due date of Wednesday enough time to choose a recipe, shop for it and try it out (if its a new one) and say it doesn't work out well, replace it with another recipe?

Since we're going to keep this to tried and true recipes, I was just thinking about the timing. Of course, if we end up running with this week after week, I guess we'll get in the habit of thinking ahead for our next course assignment. (Maybe I just answered my own question, LOL.)

• fearlessem
    17 years ago

Thanks for the thorough explanation gardenlad... Now I feel like I really *get* it...

Emily

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I never thought of it that way, Woodie. I assumed folks would be posting stuff they'd already made in the past.

My concern, timing was, was that people who wanted to try posted recipes over the weekend would have enough time to shope and cook.

But you're right: it's no big deal to project a week or two ahead, being as we'll just be moving one spot over each week.

Thus, next week you'll have the Entree, if you want to plan ahead for it.

Still and all, if the crew wants to move the deadline out to Thursday, that's fine with me.

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

I think it would be better to extend the "dinner" date by a little. I really want to make these selections as much as possible. :) I'm house-bound with ice right now. While I can sub pork for the lamb, I'ld rather do lamb.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

Thursdays would be better for me :)

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Another thought popped in my head.

If you're interested in any of the posted recipes, you should download them right away.

Even though I'll be tracking them in a thread dedicated to that, the actual recipe might flow off the charts by the time you're ready to make it.

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

okay...is dinner still tonight or is it Thursday? We have a ton of food to present. I'll wait in the kitchen until I hear from you! :)

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't understand the question.

As of now, everybody has posted their recipe. So we're done for this week, unless somebody makes one or more of the dishes, and posts comments.

All that's left for me to do is post the summary---basically a running list of the dishes presented each week.

Being as it appears easier for players, starting with next week's progression we'll use Thursday as the deadline for posting.

• cindy_5ny
    17 years ago

This will be great - we'll accumulate a nice collection of dinner party menus!

I'll probably try to make some of the dishes on the weekends after the menus are posted that week.

Cindy

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you do--and this goes for everybody--let's have a report (on the appropriate thread) about how it worked out, whether you modified it, what you did or did not like about it.

Now that I've posted this week's menu, and actually see it all in one place, can you imagine if we were all doing this for real. Me, I'm walking to each house! :>)

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

I have to say, if I had waited to see what each person planned (recipe wise), I would have done a lighter dessert. I mean, so many recipes had cream!!

Maybe we can "post" our selections in order of course next time?

gardenlad, I really do plan to make these recipe.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Me too, VA. But certainly not all at once. Hell, I gained 20 pounds just typing the menu. :>)

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

hehe! I know...but my meal is on for tomorrow night! :)

• woodie
    17 years ago

VA - are you going to cook everything? You're a better woman than I, I'll send the CICU over to your house :-)

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Noooo...I couldn't handle all of it! I'll let you know how it goes. I'll post back here with a review...I have company heading in to help sample. :) It should be fun as they all know these are new recipes for me (except for dessert).

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Still not quite clear. Where are the recipes going to be posted? One poster mentioned alot of the recipes had cream? How do you know that? I can't figure out what's what?

Please explain. I have participated in several progressive dinners but none that were virtual.

Thanks.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Labmomma, the recipes are posted on the dated threads; of which we've had one so far.

Look for the thread that says Progressive Dinner for January 24 and you'll find the recipes there.

Next week will be a new thread, called Progressive Dinner for February 4 (because we've moved the due-date to Thursdays).

There is a running thread, called Progressive Dinner Summary. That one just has the menues for each week in a running list.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

One suggestion - on the Progressive Dinner Summary, could you please post a link to the thread where the recipes are posted for that week?

This is a great way for the participants to get different menu ideas to incorporate with their T & T recipes.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good idea, Ruthanna. I'll do that starting with next week's menu.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA