Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcbutt

RECIPE: big soft sugar cookies

pcbutt
17 years ago

Hi, I am looking for a recipe for the old fashiond soft sugar cookies. I had one once and now I can't find it. Does anyone know of one? TIA

Sarah

Comments (4)

• superduper
    17 years ago

1/3 cup soft butter

1 large egg

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

1 cup raisins

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

salt, a pinch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In one bowl mix the butter and sugar, blend until creamy. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat the entire mixture. Slowly add the flour, baking soda and salt and blend. Then add raisins and mix through to spread them out. Grease a cookie sheet and leaving at least 1 inch in between, drop half teaspoons of batter onto the cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Here's one that can be rolled out and cut into shapes, but is still soft, just don't roll it too thin.

SUGAR COOKIES (LOFTHOUSE)

1 CUP BUTTER
    2 CUPS SUGAR
    3 EGGS
    1 TSP VANILLA
    1 TSP BAKING SODA
    1 TSP BAKING POWDER
    1 1/2 CUPS SOUR CREAM
    5-6 CUPS FLOUR

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and sour cream, and mix in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 425F. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness using a generous amount of flour. Cut out shapes and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes. Cool on wire rack and decorate

3 dozen cookies

Annie

• cookie8
    17 years ago

This is the one from my mom's cookbook (from the 50's/60's) I love them. They aren't crazy sweet but just tasty.

3/4 cup of butter (I use hard margarine)
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 1/4 cup sifted flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    Cream sugar and butter, then add eggs and vanilla, then flour with powder and salt.
    Chill the dough, roll a bit at time on lightly floured surface. Cut with cutter dipped in flour.
    Bake 10-15 at 350.
    Enjoy.

• danain
    17 years ago

I have posted this recipe many times but it is one of my favorite sugar cookies. You can omit the lemon juice and zest and replace it with 1 teaspoon vanilla. I can't remember where I got this recipe...it's been way too many years but, it does make a soft sugar cookie. I like to store them in the freezer and just pull out what I want. They thaw quickly and will stay soft and fresh:

{{!gwi}}

2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter softened or Crisco
    Zest of one lemon
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 eggs
    3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon cream of tarter
    Granulated sugar to roll dough in

In large bowl, combine sugar, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and eggs. Blend until smooth. Stir in combined remaining ingredients; blend well. Chill 1 hour. Heat oven to 325°. Grease cookie sheets. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar and place on greased cookie sheets (I like to line sheets with Parchment instead). Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden edges. (Cookies will be soft in center.) Cool slightly, remove from cookie sheet onto racks lined with brown paper bag to cool completely.

{{!gwi}}

Marilyn