Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Orange-glazed Vegetables

Posted by gardenlad (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 9:40

Another from the bulging to-try files. This one just misses, so be sure and read my notes.

Orange Glazed Vegetables

4 medium carrots
3 stalks broccoli (reserve florets
1 cut sugar snap peas
2 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tbls fresh lemon juice
4 tbls maple syrup
1/2 tbls freshly grated ginger root
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp EVOO
1 tbls toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Cut carrots and broccoli stalks lengthwise. Then roll-cut them. Steam the roll-cut veggies, broccoli florets, sugar snap peas and cauliflower florets for 5-8 minutes, or until crisp-tender.

In a large nonstick skillet or wok, cook orange and lemon juices, maple syrup and ginger over medium-high heat until very thick and syrupy. Add vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and toss to mix. Transfer begetables to a serving platter. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.

My notes: I always peel broccoli stalks before using, and did so for this dish.

In a wok the liquid boiled and boiled and never got syrupy. So I added a slurry of 1 tsp arrowroot dissovled in 1 tsp orange juice to thicken it up. Then tossed the veggies in the resulting sauce.

Once I got the sauce to work, this made a great side-dish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Orange-glazed Vegetables

This sounds like something I'd like a lot, GL. I think I'd also like the "sauce" on root veggies like parsnips/sweet potatoes/onions or maybe some butternut squash.

Annie

o
RE: RECIPE: Orange-glazed Vegetables

I'm not so sure about onions, Annie. But on the others, for sure. And don't forget those rutabagas; it would work great with them, I believe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here