Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Pot Roast with Chocolate Gravy

Posted by lastsue (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 17, 09 at 9:17

My mother in law used to make her pot roast with a gravy she made using chocolate snaps. I have done numerous searches trying to find the recipe, but have had no luck. Thought I'd try this posting, to see if anyone else may have it. Would love to surprise my husband with this.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Pot Roast with Chocolate Gravy

Are you sure she didn't make sourbraten and use gingersnaps to thicken the gravy?
never heard of chocolate snaps.\
Linda C

o

Thanks, but it definitely was not sourbraten. Nabisco makes a chocolate snap cookie that she used in making the gravy, which the cookie made very dark, but gave it a rich taste.

o

Naabisco made Chocolate Snaps. Unfortunately, they don't any more. If you try searching the internet for out of stock products you may find a company that bought up a lot of them and will sell them.
Good luck and post the recipe if you ever find them.

o

Maybe she used this recipe, substituting for chocolate snaps.

GINGERSNAP POT ROAST

Bottom round or chuck roast, 2 1/2 - 3 lb.
2-3 lg. onions, sliced
Salt and pepper
Dash of allspice
1 tbsp. Gravy Master
6-8 gingersnap cookies

Put meat in pot. Add small amount of water. Add sliced onions, salt and pepper, allspice and Gravy Master. Cook over low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (depending on size of meat) until meat is tender. Add crumbled gingersnaps 15-20 minutes before meat is finished. Watch carefully. Gravy will thicken. Meat must be turned frequently after gingersnaps are added.

o

I liked chocolate snaps as a kid!

o

Look up Nabisco Chocolate Wafers. Maybe it is a New England item. I am pretty sure they are still in the grocery store. My mom used to buy them. I have a funny story about her cookie habit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here