Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamiljablo

RECIPE: Whats your favorite fried chicken recipe?

kamiljablo
15 years ago

Hey!

I am looking for a good fried chicken recipe. Every time i try to make it the batter is no good so i am looking for a good recipe....

Thanks,

Kamil

Comments (4)

• angelaid
    15 years ago

I got this from here, I think, years and years ago. It's the BEST!

Leila's Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
    Makes approximately 8 servings

This wonderful fried chicken was prepared for my family by Leila - an amazing woman who worked for us and practically raised my brother and I up from pups. It is full of delicious flavor and has the kind of crispy coating that you'll never forget. It is also fried chicken, so nowadays it's something that is served for special occasions only!

3-4 pounds cut-up frying chicken
    2 cups buttermilk
    2 cups self-rising flour
    Ground black pepper, to taste
    Paprika, to taste
    Garlic powder, to taste
    Vegetable oil for frying

Step 1 - Cut your chicken into parts and wash well. Place in a large bowl and pour buttermilk over. Allow to sit for at least an hour.

Step 2 - Mix and sift together flour, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.

Step 3 - Pour enough oil in a large, cast iron skillet to fill it about an inch deep. Heat to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer to carefully regulate the temperature and prevent the oil from burning.

Step 4 - Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and shake to remove the excess. Dredge in the seasoned flour.

Step 5 - Drop pieces in the hot oil, four at a time. Do not crowd, as this will reduce the temperature of the oil and cause the chicken to absorb more grease. I like starting with dark meat pieces first and saving the white meat for the last. Cook each piece six minutes per side. Turn when the underside is nice and brown. To ensure doneness, cut a small hole in the thickest part - the juices should run clear.

Step 6 - Serve and enjoy - either hot from the pan or room temperature! Despite some of the nutritional counts of this recipe, it is practically unbeatable for bringing back the taste (and smell) of home.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Not sure what you mean about the batter not being good but make sure your oil is hot enough & about an inch deep. I like using Crisco. Don't stuff too many pieces in your skillet or it won't cook right. The dark meat takes longer to cook so I always put that in the middle & once the meat is brown on all sides, turn it frequently.

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Here in the deep south, fried chicken has been a staple I suppose, since the beginning of time! It's funny how everyone thinks their MAMA's is the best and I'm no exception. I'll never be able to fry mine as good as my Mom.

She never soaked her chicken pieces, but many others do. She nor I (or probably any other southern cook!!!) would never use anything but a black cast iron skillet. And yes, the others are right in that the oil must be very hot and I do use Crisco. This is a little more time consuming than deep frying, but in my opinion, it's the best method. If you want some fabulous gravy after the chicken is done, pour off most of the grease, then add a little hot water and with a wooden spoon, loosen the brown particles. Then slowly add hot water and flour (I shake mine in a jar)...add gradually while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add S&P then enjoy over mashed potatoes or rice.

Sorry, I didn't add much to this thread, but "Fried Chicken" sure got my attention!

• kamiljablo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe cangt wait to try it!