Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking For A Corn bread recipe

Posted by iggie (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 5:36

I am looking for an old fashioned corn bread recipe, I do a lot of cooking and am tired of using mixes. My thanks to anyone who replies. Iggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking For A Corn bread recipe

This is a good recipe, if you don't like sweet cornbread, leave out the sugar.

Corn Bread

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Tony�s or salt
4 tablespoons oil
1 1/3 cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put a 10" round cast iron skillet in oven. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in center, add the oil, milk and egg. Mix well.
Put enough oil in the hot skillet to coat the bottom, tilt or brush to coat the pan. Spread the batter in the pan, and bake 25-30 minutes--until risen, golden and cornbread tests done with a toothpick.

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking For A Corn bread recipe

I make cornbread very similar to the above recipe except I use buttermilk instead of regular milk. I was taught to make it by my mother who didn't measure anything, therefore I don't use exact measurements either. I don't care for sweet cornbread but I still add about 1 tablespoon or so of sugar and my cornbread isn't sweet at all. This is what good old-fashioned cornbread tastes like and buttermilk makes a huge difference! Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here