Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: freezing cabbage rolls

Posted by mystic_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 2:06

I am in the process of making cabbage rolls. I was told by someone not to cook them before freezing. Is this an option and then when I bring them out of the freezer, how do I cook them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: freezing cabbage rolls

You can cook them before freezing if you want to but try cooking them about 20 minutes less time than if you're eating them immediately.

Or freeze them uncooked.

o

Mystic - Would you post your recipe for cabbage rolls?
Thnx Rusty

o

Mystic I prefer to cook mine and then freeze. They can be made and cooked unfrozen but there are some drawbacks.

First, all your meat ingredients cannot be "previously" frozen if you are going to refreeze the rolls uncooked you must use fresh meat.

The other issue is quantity. You can't effectively cook 2 or 4 cabbage rolls and get the same taste and texture you get by cooking a whole big pan. So if you freeze uncooked you really need to freeze the whole pan which limits your flexibility in using them.

If you do choose to freeze uncooked then I think you need to completely, or almost completely, thaw before cooking.

If you cook first and then freeze you can package up in quantities that make sense for you and simply thaw and rewarm as needed. I do it all the time.....

o

Rusty. You wanted my recipe for cabbage rolls. This is the one that I use and like.

CABBAGE ROLLS

1 large head of cabbage
2 cups rice
2 cups boiling water
1 tsp. salt
1 large onion (minced)
6 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups ground beef or pork
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Remove cabbage core. Place cabbage in deep pot and poir bioling water into hollow core. Caver completely with boiling water. Let stand until leaves are soft and pliable. Drain off water. Take leaves apart one at a time. Cut off hard centre from leaves.
Wash rice and add 2 cups boiling water. Add salt and partially cook.
Saute onion in butter. Add meat and combine with rice. Season to taste. Cool. Place mixture in leaf or portion of leaf and roll up. Place in layers in a baking pan. Cover with tomato juice (and cream if used)
Bake covered - 350 degrees for 2 hours.

Hope you make and enjoy.........Grace

o

Thanks Grace for the recipe. I have not ever made cabbage rolls but I love them. I just watched a video on Youtube on how to make cabbage rolls and with your recipe will now attempt them. Your recips sounds better then one on video. Thanks Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make cabbage rolls on video.

o

Rusty - hope that you enjoy them. This is the recipe that I got from my mother-in-law and she was Ukaranian. I have always enjoyed them too.

Thank you Chase and Ginger for giving me some advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here