Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystic_2008

RECIPE: freezing cabbage rolls

mystic_2008
15 years ago

I am in the process of making cabbage rolls. I was told by someone not to cook them before freezing. Is this an option and then when I bring them out of the freezer, how do I cook them

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You can cook them before freezing if you want to but try cooking them about 20 minutes less time than if you're eating them immediately.

Or freeze them uncooked.

• rusty_ns
    15 years ago

Mystic - Would you post your recipe for cabbage rolls?
    Thnx Rusty

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Mystic I prefer to cook mine and then freeze. They can be made and cooked unfrozen but there are some drawbacks.

First, all your meat ingredients cannot be "previously" frozen if you are going to refreeze the rolls uncooked you must use fresh meat.

The other issue is quantity. You can't effectively cook 2 or 4 cabbage rolls and get the same taste and texture you get by cooking a whole big pan. So if you freeze uncooked you really need to freeze the whole pan which limits your flexibility in using them.

If you do choose to freeze uncooked then I think you need to completely, or almost completely, thaw before cooking.

If you cook first and then freeze you can package up in quantities that make sense for you and simply thaw and rewarm as needed. I do it all the time.....

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rusty. You wanted my recipe for cabbage rolls. This is the one that I use and like.

CABBAGE ROLLS

1 large head of cabbage
    2 cups rice
    2 cups boiling water
    1 tsp. salt
    1 large onion (minced)
    6 tbsp. butter
    1 1/2 cups ground beef or pork
    salt and pepper
    1 1/2 cups tomato juice
    1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
    Remove cabbage core. Place cabbage in deep pot and poir bioling water into hollow core. Caver completely with boiling water. Let stand until leaves are soft and pliable. Drain off water. Take leaves apart one at a time. Cut off hard centre from leaves.
    Wash rice and add 2 cups boiling water. Add salt and partially cook.
    Saute onion in butter. Add meat and combine with rice. Season to taste. Cool. Place mixture in leaf or portion of leaf and roll up. Place in layers in a baking pan. Cover with tomato juice (and cream if used)
    Bake covered - 350 degrees for 2 hours.

Hope you make and enjoy.........Grace

• rusty_ns
    15 years ago

Thanks Grace for the recipe. I have not ever made cabbage rolls but I love them. I just watched a video on Youtube on how to make cabbage rolls and with your recipe will now attempt them. Your recips sounds better then one on video. Thanks Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make cabbage rolls on video.

• mystic_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rusty - hope that you enjoy them. This is the recipe that I got from my mother-in-law and she was Ukaranian. I have always enjoyed them too.

Thank you Chase and Ginger for giving me some advice.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets