Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Maple cookie disaster

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 1:21

Being on the lookout for any sweets using maple syrup, I was delighted to find a cookie at Land O Lakes site.

No eggs in the recipe but they certainly only publish good-to-excellent recipes and a stormy night is perfect for baking.

They didn't. I have a bowl full of a nicely flavored crumbly mass that might make a pie crust?

If anyone tried this recipe and was able to form a cookie, please tell me how you did it. Here it is before it leaves my hard drive forever.

MAPLE SNAIL COOKIES

This cookie recipe will remind you of spring with their delicate maple flavor.

Preparation time: 30 min Baking time: 10 min
Yield: 5 dozen cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup Butter, softened (Land O Lakes)
1/3 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

opt: (2 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips )

Heat oven to 350F. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add syrup; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and salt. Beat until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls using floured hands. Roll each ball into 10-inch rope. Shape into pinwheel shape leaving one end uncurled to resemble head of snail. Place snails 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned.

Microwave chocolate chips in small microwave-safe bowl on HIGH, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth (60 to 90 seconds). Use point of toothpick dipped in melted chocolate to make eye on each snail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Maple cookie disaster

Did you soften your butter? Butter that is too cold would make a drier dough as would too much flour. Was your kitchen cold? That also could explain the problem.

Nancy

o

Thanks Wizard. The butter was soft and I sifted the flour.

After reading my regular cookie recipes, I believe there should have been 1 or 2 eggs. Then the dough would have enuf elasticity to roll into ropes.

o

Do they have an 800 number? Maybe they left out an ingredient. With the price of butter, they should be helping you out! I have made other maple cookies: the maple flavor never came through. MAybe the type of syrup makes a difference: different viscosity?

o

I think the recipe looks pretty much fine. I suspect you had too much flour in there....either packed the cup or the flour was particularly dense.
It would have a texture very much like a sweet pastry dough. A pretty standard proportion for pastry si 1/3 cup fat to 1 cup of flour...and 1/3 cup of sugar to that making it a sweet crust...and the syrup would be very like the water in a pastry dough.
Try it again...and only add 2 cups of flour....and add the 3 rd cup as needed. I will bet it will work better.
I think you had too heavy a hand with the flour.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here