Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkfinor

LOOKING for: Salad (with Lasagna)

dkfinor
17 years ago

I'm looking for a nice salad/dressing recipe that will go with Lasagna? Any suggestions/recipes? TIA!

Comments (5)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I prefer vinaigrette type dressing with most pasta dishes. I often will include a few Tbsp of grated Parmesan in the dressing to pick up that nice cheese flavor, but if you prefer a plainer dressing, this is a nice basic version:

INGREDIENTS:
    1/3 Cup Balsamic vinegar
    2/3 Cup olive oil
    1 Clove Garlic, minced
    1 Tablespoon Minced parsley
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1/8 Teaspoon Freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION:
    Combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly in blender or with whisk. Refrigerate until serving time.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

LEMON SPINACH SALAD

½ lb. sliced mushrooms
    1 lb. young spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
    6 Tbs. olive oil
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    ¼ tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic, slivered
    Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
    1 hard cooked egg
    Freshly ground black pepper

Wash mushrooms and combine with spinach. Chill. Mix oil, lemon juice, salt, cheese and garlic. Chop up egg and sprinkle over salad. Add lemon rind to salad and grind pepper on top. Pour dressing over salad right before serving and toss.

Note: Best if dressing is made about an hour ahead of time and garlic pieces removed before pouring on salad. Crumbled bacon pieces can be added if desired.

• san_
    17 years ago

i agree with alexa's take on things and can tell you that we've enjoyed ruthanna's recipe (minus the egg for us) many times. also--i don't have it at hand right now, but i hope someone will post MQ's fennel and mushroom salad--i think that goes great with pasta or beef recipes...here's one from a penpal that we also like a whole lot--

JoÂs Greens and Prosciutto Salad

Mix together, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate:
    ½ # mesculin salad mix
    8 T pine nuts or almonds
    2 dozen chopped basil leaves
    2 dozen chopped mint leaves
    4 chopped scallions
    3 oz fresh parmesan, grated
    3 or 4 slices of proscuitto, diced

Thinly slice a red onion and pour over it some red or white wine vinegar. Let it stand for 30 minutes and then drain it.

Into a ½ c of olive oil, slowly cook 4 cloves of garlic that has been chopped into ¼" dice. Remove garlic and increase the heat and add ¼ C balsamic vinegar and 2 T red wine vinegar. Once it boils, add 2 T brown sugar and heat for another minute. Add the garlic back in with a little salt and pepper. Pour over the salad greens.

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

This is a salad dressing I got from an Italian friend -- very simple but terrific on mixed greens. You'll have to work on the lemon juice to olive oil ratio to suit your taste.

In bottom of large salad bowl, mix high quality olive oil with fresh lemon juice -- I like it about 50/50. Add a pinch of sugar, and salt and pepper as desired. Whisk well, put salad greens on top of dressing, toss to mix.

I make about 2 T. dressing per salad serving.

Can add herbs, finely grated hard cheese. Can change the lemon juice to balsamic vinegar. Salad can be simple greens or add either veggies of choice and olives, or dried or fresh fruit and nuts.

It's by far my favorite dressing. Enjoy!

• sheesh
    17 years ago

Carol Ann's friend got it right: Simple is best with lasagna. I sprinkle extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar and garlic salt over lettuce, toss together. If I have tomatoes, olives, onions in the house, which I usually do, I add them. No need to whisk or marinate at all. Just sprinkle, toss and serve.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!