Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for: Carnival Cruise Chocolate Melting Cake

Posted by atd_oc (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 0:41

This dessert is so popular that was on the menu every night and I ordered it every night as well.

It was served in little pots with ice cream and was quite delicious, worth every calorie!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for: Carnival Cruise Chocolate Melting Cake

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carnival warm chocolate melting cake

o

Here is the recipe I use, everyone loves it:
Chocolate Melting Cake
10 TB unsalted butter, diced
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 TB cornstarch
3 large eggs plus 4 large yolks at room temperature
2 tsp Grand Marnier (I refuse to buy this just for this one recipe & don't miss it)
Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat to 350F. Lightly butter 8 ramekins & dust with granulated sugar. Melt bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate and 10 TB butter in a bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth, remove from heat to cool a bit. In a large bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups sugar and cornstarch together. Add chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Add eggs, yolks and liquor and whisk until fully combined. If chocolate is still warm, you may need to temper the eggs as you add them to the chocolate. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter into each buttered ramekin. Place filled ramekins on baking sheets and bake until tops are set, have formed shiny crusts and are beginning to crack, 16-20 minutes. Cool for before serving and serve with coffee ice cream.
I don't think Carnival dusts the ramekins with the granulated sugar which adds an interesting crunch to the edge that I like. Otherwise, it tastes very similar. You may have to adjust cooking time, my oven is a few degrees off & takes 20-21 minutes to get it the way I want it.
I can't remember where I got the recipe, possibly from someone on this forum.

o

Just left Carnival Libery, today, after a week in the WARM Caribbean and sooooooo enjoyed, per usual, their melting chcolate cake.

I have a recipe that I make, that is a little different, but tastes just like Carnival's. Family loves when I prepare it.

o

ngraham, you can buy Grand Marnier in small bottles like they serve on airlines. They hold enough to make this cake several times. I still have some from the last time I made the creme brulee French toast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here