Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

RECIPE: Key Lime Pie

annova914
16 years ago

OK, this is not KEY lime pie because I used regular limes and I topped it with whipped cream, not meringue, but it was very good 24 hours after I made it so it's a good dessert when you want to prepare a day ahead. I used a Keebler shortbread crust which went very well with the filling. Next time I might make a shortbread crust in a tart pan. I copied so many recipes that I have no idea where this one came from. Thanks!

Key Lime Pie

1 (9") crust (ready to serve)

Filling:

3 egg yolks

1/2 tsp lime zest (grated very fine)

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk

2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 6 regular limes; not sure how many key limes that would take)

Topping:

1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, chilled

1/2 tsp vanilla sugar

1 T confectioners' sugar (or more, to taste)

In electric mixer with whisk attached, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3-4 minutes. Lower speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

Topping: Whip the cream and the sugars until nearly stiff. Spread over pie. Serve.

Note: I made this pie yesterday and when we tasted it, we thought the filling was too strong. Today (after 24 hours) we tried it and it was wonderful. I notice that this recipe uses a lot more fresh lime juice than the others so maybe I could cut back on the lime juice and serve it the same day. The vanilla sugar I used is powdered sugar with vanilla bean flecks in it (bought it at Ikea).

Comment (1)

• Lars
    16 years ago

I make a similar recipe, but I use about 1/2 cup of lime juice and about a tablespoon of zest. I make this often because I get a lot of limes from my tree, and friends and family like it. I've never frozen it before serving, however, although that is a good idea for keeping it longer.

Lars

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES