Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: freezing heavy cream?

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 08 at 0:01

My local supermarket has heavy cream on sale. Can this be frozen? Its quarts of fresh cream. Thinking ice cream this coming summer.

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: freezing heavy cream?

can't think if any reason you can't.....

o

We've never frozen heavy cream, but we've frozen half and half.
When it thaws, it looks like its curdled.
But we've used it in making ice cream and it's been fine.

o

Here is some info I copied for my notes, haven't tested how it turns out yet though:

Freeze only pasteurized cream containing at least 40 percent butterfat. Cream can be frozen whipped or unwhipped; however, it often does not whip after being frozen. Freeze dollops of sweetened whipped cream on a baking sheet. When frozen, package in freezer bags. To thaw, place on dessert just before serving.
To freeze liquid cream, heat it to 170 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of sugar for each quart, pour into rigid containers, leave headspace, seal and freeze. Liquid cream that has been frozen is suitable for use in cooking or in coffee. Thaw in refrigerator and use within a few days.

o

So I guess that means it can't be whipped? Thinking of all sorts of dessert which take whipped cream, mousses etc.

It is Ultra Pasteurized so I don't think I need to heat it.

Thanks ngraham for having those notes.

Jane

o

Now I HAVE frozen sweetened whipped cream, only once, but it worked remarkably well. I was amazed at how well it held up. Above it says to freeze sweetened whipped cream in dollops, but I just put mine in a tubt. I haven't tried it in liquid form, but sure worked well whipped. I did sweeten it though, knowing I would use it as topping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here