Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradomomof5

ColoradoMom

coloradomomof5
11 years ago

Wow, when I finally got back to the boards, there were 150 messages and I couldn't post. Sooo, thank-you for all the input, good and bad. I literally have thick skin (or so my Dr. says), so all is good. I haven't even finished reading all the posts since Mid November, but will after I update this. The lawsuit finally ended, after 5 years, in November. We were the ones quoted in the paper about the loyalty oath. Since both my husband and I are veterans, we wouldn't just sign it under threat of lawsuit and we didn't. Through the original trial, then appeal, the judge sided with us. The Nazi HOA ate over $150,000 in fees just to "put us in our place" because we dared to say no to the threat. The judge said "personal honor." Anyway, yes, this HOA/neighborhood is an incurable defect.

People asked a bunch of questions, but basically, we are moving because we found and bought another lot about 3 years ago and it is the most beautiful piece of property. Remember in Colorado, views are king. As for the house it will be a similar size (limited to under 6,000 sq ft. total) unless the sprinkler system code has changed recently). We interviewed 3 new realtors and will be going back on the market in early January. The people I interviewed were on the "top 25" producers for our area so I felt they had alot of experience and really know how to market our home. The one we ended up choosing came prepared with comps from our zip code of similar sized homes (two stories) and had a comprehenive breakdown of what the pricing should be at. Now don't gasp, but she suggested in her professional opinion that we list at $550K.
As for my decor, I really must have baaaaaddddd photos. When it goes on the market, I will post again the professional ones taken (with my updated decor :) and the listing MLS. Good or bad, I am still a hopeful kind of person and know when this house is "supposed" to sell, it will.

Comments (42)

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just finished reading all the rest of the 150 posts. Very interesting. We have a joke that "our family attracts controversy" and it seems like it has continued on GW! lol I just have to say, since my original post got off track (numberous tracks), a few things. To the one who got on a tangent about homeschooling. My oldest daughter-17 years old (oldest of 5 kids, obviously, my name :) is a senior this year. ACT composite: 35, SAT: Math-800, Reading- 730, Writing-710. I'm really not the person you want to debate about education and homeschooling. Six days after she graduates from homeschool high school, she will graduate from college (University of Colorado) with a Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular Biology. She will become the youngest graduate in the history of their school. Sorry, this Colorado Springs, homeschooling mom of 5(gasp), couldn't let the ignorance of the previous thread continue. This mom is proud of what her child has accomplished and is about to. The cloud of our crazy neighbors, this house for sale, and our VERY dynamic schedule does not deter what is important in life. Our children. This house, not only our house, but school, has served us well. We've enjoyed living here and making it a nurturing environment, but it is time to move on. Sorry, rant tangent (big big tangent), but this homeschooling mama bear does not tolerate ignorance when it comes to my children and their education. Proof is in the puddin' or so they say?

• TRex4.14
    11 years ago

Thanks for coming back and standing up for yourself! That dude was ignorant and his comments were uncalled for. Good luck with the sale!

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Colorado,
    IMO, the worst homeschooling is still better than what the kids are getting in our public schools these days.
    Good for you.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

I'm so glad to read your update and you're right - you do have thick skin!! I applaud your high road responses. No matter the intentions or the delivery style of the *suggestions*, you will cull through and find what makes sense for your situation. Hopefully this time's the charm and you'll be able to sell - best of luck to you.

You've certainly earned your mama bear rant regarding homeschooling - what an achievement for your daughter!!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Link to the original situation for the ill informed and curious?

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Good for you CM5! I think we had a troll in our midst and hopefully he won't return.

Cearbhaill - the thread is titled :
    I can't "give my house away"

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

CMom: what do the sold comps look like in your direct neighborhood, not down the road? In your case I think that's more relevant than down the road, because of the recent HOA stuff.

BTW, I had to bite my tongue hard not to feed the troll about his "unsophisticated homeschoolers" comment. I have several siblings, including a Ph.D. former Biology Professor turned SAHM, that have home schooled their kids for a time, in all cases because their kids weren't challenged enough in the public schools. Eggshell is the ignorant, unsophisticated one if he/she doesn't know any home schoolers or people with large families himself. He/she needs to come out of his/her cave more often.

Edited to correct the person I accused of living in a cave.

This post was edited by weedyacres on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 19:22

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This 4200 sq. feet house in my neighborhood just sold for $505K. Not my style, but this was the "closest" one in the same neighborhood (I use that term lightly). We are on the edge of the subdivision (thank goodness) and this house is further away (a few miles) than other "out of the neighborhood" ones that the REA is comping to.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7630-Clovis-Way-Colorado-Springs-CO-80908/13534487_zpid/

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

Weedy, I think you got the name wrong. It looks like I was the only Greg that commented in that last thread, and my comment wasn't inflammatory in the least.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

removed.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 15:07

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

Actually, Doug defended home schooling.

• texas_cajun
    11 years ago

I usually just lurk but that particular thread caught (and held) my attention - I think the negative comment came from eggshellfinish (the name is probably not exactly correct) who said that home schooling was "home fooling."

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

I removed this comment since it doesn't apply anymore, now that this thread has been sanitized for your safety.

This post was edited by greg_2010 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 16:21

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I wouldn't sign a loyalty oath to an HOA, even to avoid a lawsuit.

This post is 16 on the way to 150.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Greg? Who said anything about Greg?

Love this new editing function. :=)

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

I also would never sign a loyalty oath... whatever the hell that is. Even to avoid a lawsuit.
    Maybe that pot is legal there now, the HOA members will chill out a bit!

• C Marlin
    11 years ago

Here we go again...

Merry Christmas!

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

ditto cmarlin, and I'll add "yawn" =/

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

ColoradoMom... did the new agent give her insight as to why the home failed to sell for over two years?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I'll uncork some wine, and pop some popcorn.... here's to you, cmarlin20 and sasafras!

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

Trying to get back on point...
    Did this new agent have any ideas why the home never sold the first time around?

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know. NC: when we sign the contract with the new REA in the next few weeks, I'll ask her why she thinks it didn't sell. I really want to know specific factors (from her professional opinion.) I'm on a 3 week or so countdown for prep time. Plus throw in Christmas, activities, and travel and it should be fun.

As for the other question, I guess the police are involved. That entire thing was really bizarre how she latched on to my post and me personally about selling my house.

I appreciate all the support, advice (you know who you are), and encouragement to get this place ready.

Merry Christmas!

• hayden2
    11 years ago

Coloradomomof5, you mention 3 weeks of prep time. I'm curious about what prep you're planning to do. Things you decided on or suggested by the realtor? I'm the pictures you shared the house looked clean and uncluttered, which is why I'm wondering what you're planning to do. Thanks.

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is quite a list and you must have not read the other post with a "wealth" of advice and I mean a "wealth" lol The realtor suggested I paint over some faux painting in one of my girls rooms. It is a mural of what was called at the time "groovy flowers." Also, painting some trim on an upper gable on the North side of our house that seems to be fading/chipping away with the weather.
    On my own, I am also working on a large piece of mahogany furniture in the girls' room. It is being painted with ASCP in creamy white to lighten up the overall feel of the room. Also, painting the bed in the guest room in the same paint. Painting over a trompe l'oeil chicken in the mudroom.
    The music/piano room is getting new curtains. I'm recovering a few and buying a few new toss pillows for the main LR (probably in a chevron print). All my Christmas decorations usually come down right after Christmas (and I mean literally by 4:00 that afternoon!), so after that the furniture will be moved back to their proper spots. I have some new furniture in the music room and office.The pics from the other post were older shots. All the carpets will be cleaned throughout the house and of course another "deep" cleaning of all the room's furniture and bathrooms right before. I'm particular about touch up painting and keeping dust free baseboards, as I'm just weird about that. I've already changed out some wall pieces (art) in the MB and replaced some dated decor with PB stuff and have a mercury glass grouping on the 3-sided fireplace. The rec room already got an update in the nook over the fireplace, new chevron chair covers, and the coffee table and school table were painted in chalkboard paint. I also might look at some new throw rugs for the foyer floor.

That's the list so far. I am trying to keep the purchases to a minimum and keep the costs down. I guess all these changes will be my Christmas present to myself! The only real time consuming thing between now and then will be the furniture painting. I actually enjoy cleaning and prepping and since the kids are basically done with school until January, I'll have plenty of free time. There will be no major changes to the structure of the home, just cosmetic. The recent sold homes around me were quite interesting. I posted a link above. Hoping....

This post was edited by coloradomomof5 on Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 9:40

• hayden2
    11 years ago

Here's hoping with you. Best of luck! Please keep us posted. It's quite a saga.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Well, after seeing what happened in Connecticut, I now truly understand why some people chose to home school. I've never had children, so I thought this was a strange decision, but no more!

Congrats to you ColoradoMom!!

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

I would spend less time on the furniture and more time on the actual house.

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NC: when you say actual house, what specifically do you mean. Structural? We have decided we aren't changing anything that we would have to hire a contractor for. Old feedback did not mention once about counters, fireplaces, cabinetry, tile, light fixtures, carpet, wood floors, etc. So what exactly does that mean? Painting doesn't take much time or $ and I recall much feedback from GWebers about my "lovely" decor (tongue in cheek!:)

I am going to try to copy and paste pieces from a large document showing the ACTUAL feedback. This is from 2010 and 2011. I am looking for my main feedback doc from 2012. 99% of the question about, "how does the house show"? was Excellent" I think a couple said "good." Price throughout was all over from just right to too high. Interest was somewhat to very. As a REA yourself, what do think of this feedback:

Question: Comments and / or Recommendations:
    Answer: The home was very warm and inviting. My client really liked it, This was the first day of the home search. They are here on a job interview and will most likely be moving here. The location might be a little far out for travel to work but they liked it otherwise.
    Question: If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for?
    Answer: DID NOT ANSWER
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for? Put offer in on another one that was closer to work. You were #2.
    Answer: Thank you for allowing me to show. The home showed well and the buyers appreciated the snacks at the end of a long day of touring. I will let you know if they have any questions.
    Answer: Great house, but our clients want a HUGE theatre Room...
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for?
    Answer: Floor plan does not work for them. They also did not like that the home backs to Black Forest
    Answer: Price tough on this one. House is big and nice, if a bit quirky in some of layout. Power lines and pole in from of Pikes peak views was the bummer for this buyer. Also, this house is likely a bit larger than what this buyer wants - did not realize until she went through it.
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for? A bit less SF, less obstructed view, less traditional style than this. Condition and apparent quality just like this one.
    The clients did not like the telephone poles that could be seen in the back. They did, however, like the house. They are not interested due to the poles.
    > Answer: Home was very clean and showed well. From pictures it looked like there were several children in home. Therefore, we were impressed with how well the home showed. Buyer loved the big kitchen with the grantite counters.
    Question: If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for?
    Answer: The problem was the location. The buyer decided it was a little further than he would like to drive to work.
    Answer: I was only previewing, but WOW this is a great house. If I have the opportunity I will absolutely show it. It is staged well, great for a family. The 2 available laundry hook-ups are great, two staircases are neat, secret bookshelf closet is fun. Just a very nice house, I will keep it in mind!!
    Answer: Did not like the locationQuestion: Comments and / or Recommendations:
    Answer: Very nice kitchen, awesome mud room.
    Answer: We loved the house and please give the home owners ourcompliments for how nice organized and clean they have kept the house, especially with all the kids... We think the price is too high and we're continuing to look...
    Answer: is there a limit to number of horses allowed on a 5 acre tract ?
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for? see above

Answer:
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for? loved the house, but main floor just a little tooo small & too close to road
    Answer: Very nice home, great kitchen, nice master bedroom with bath, lots of nice features in the home
    Answer: The home is absolutely great ("super great house"). The owner concern was that Cherry Creek Springs has zoning constraints that do not give client flexibility to do some of the things they are contemplating.
    Answer: Very nicely staged and shows great. Clients have several properties they like.
    If your client isn't interested, what did the property not have, that they were looking for? Only drawbacks are the small (for this size home) great room view of substation which could be solved with some trees.
    COMMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONS: Buyers need to sell their home in Virginia.
    COMMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONS: Clients like the home and it showed great. They may want a lot that has more trees and a larger family / living area on the main level, otherwise nice listing.

After each showing, I would see what the feedback and adjust whatever I could accordingly. We kept lowering the price (even though we had "just right" included in the feedback almost from the beginning). I could not do anything about telephone poles (we have to have phones-I have small kids!), nor that the house sat in the middle of 5 acres (too close to the road), or my "great room" was too small or that I didn't have a theatre room. Sooo.... there you go. But, I was and am willing to do what the buyers are looking for here in the Colorado market (within reason). Also, for all the feedback we received, there were almost just as many who scheduled a showing, but never showed (or even cancelled-frustrating) and not all REA would send feedback. Is that normal? Thanks!

• sweet_tea
    11 years ago

Can you make the great room seem larger by changing decor/arranging furniture?

Call your phone company to see what the cost would be to remove phone poll and replace with underground in that one spot (Not sure if possible, but maybe it is doable for a small fee). Maybe you would not pay it...but have the price on hand IF this is an issue for a buyer that would want the home otherwise.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

From what I hear of the feedback...
    Too far from people's workplace, Too many HOA restrictions, odd floorplan (smallish rooms), Power lines and sub station that interfere with the view.
    These are items that can be fixed only one way... by offering the home at a better value than the rest of the competition.
    Can you refresh our memories as to what your last price was, before it went off the market?
    Make sure your new agent fully understands the trouble you experienced, and then ask her for her opinion on why it failed to sell.
    Yes, it is normal for agents to not leave feedback. I try to leave feedback for every home I show, but sometimes a buyer is in town for a few days only and I might show a dozen homes for 3 or 4 days straight... from early morning to late evening. Get home at 7 or 8 and then have to schedule the next days showings... just no time for feedback in this scenario. But, what is even more important than buyer feedback is to know which properties the buyers are putting offers on. When you go Active, your agent needs to keep tabs on what sells with the same criteria as your home. These buyers probably looked at your property too, but for some reason, decided against your home. The agent needs to find trends as to why this is happening and then address the issues.

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sweet: I don't think changing the "great room" furniture around will make it appear larger. But, I can try. We actually call it the LR or gathering room or some people call it a keeping room. Its intended purpose was to be a LR off the kitchen. It is flanked with white pillars. It opens to the piano room and to the kitchen and also has french doors that open to the back deck. The showing person was the one who called it the great room as many homes (especially ones in town) have two story great rooms with the double windows to the ceiling. I think that is what the showing person was expecting. We did not make a traditional great room but instead put 13 windows plus 3 doors (one french, one sliding, and one regular man door) on the back side of the house which gives the view of the Front Range from almost every room on the west side of the house. The front of the house has another 15, plus the ends of the house, plus 3 more doors! Let's just say, we didn't spare the windows.

As for the telephone poles. About a year and a half ago, the city did a project on the poles running behind my house and for miles down the road. For those that work on phones, you will get this, but we didn't. They literally pulled the phones up and tilted them over. The bottom of the poles were still in the ground, but the top was tipped over. It is kind of hard to explain, but it looked like the wind had blown them to about a 30 to 45 degree angle. I mean every one of them at the same time. They then proceeded to change out the wires at the top (heavier) making the bars across the top about a foot longer and re-attaching the wires. They would not bury them!! This supposedly cost millions of dollars to do this project. I didn't take any pictures, but people would stop along the road and take their photos. If you have ever seen anything like this is was quite a sight. So, to answer your question, they probably would not consider burying them, only because the city had the chance to and they didn't. For us, the cost would not be feasible. We have this amazing view of Pikes Peak and the front range of Colorado and all they could see was the telephone pole, not the view beyond! I've attached a photo with the house, view and telephone pole/s.

NC: We had just dropped it to $560K, then maybe a month later, pulled it off the market. I am not sure on the exact timing from the drop in price to the time we pulled it off. The last showing or shall I say, supposed to have showed, cancelled once again at the time they were supposed to show and my husband said that was enough (read, one too many times this happening) and we pulled it off the market to re-evalute everything. After Christmas we meet with the REA again and I will ask those questions.

This post was edited by coloradomomof5 on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 18:58

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The utility owns the poles in most places, and they pay to bury them, not the city.

The city probably could not afford to pay enough for burial, so the 'tilted poles' came about.

Burial is extremely expensive work, especially in existing neighborhoods.

Virgina has required underground utilities for years now on all new work.

Even infill lot get a burred line (unlike all their neighbors with overhead lines the predate the early 1970s).

You pay for it as part of building the house since the builder is required to instal the buried line (to the POCOs satisfaction).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 9:36

• c9pilot
    11 years ago

THAT is a really nice picture of your home. ...what telephone poles? I'm too busy looking at that great setting!

And I'm somewhat reluctant to leave feedback sometimes. I try to offer advice gently, much more than I would on GW. Some agents/sellers just don't want to hear it. They'll call and go on and on cajoling you about how your buyer was "wrong" (about how they feel?) and/or justifying it and/or explaining why that incurable defect shouldn't bother your buyer, you get the idea.

Example: when I was buying, an agent/seller (her own home) kept calling me every day to come back and see her home after I told her that we were no longer considering ANY homes on that particular canal because of its open exposure to the west, and she just kept calling and telling me about the other sailboat owners on that canal and they were fine with it and she's got their phone numbers if I want to talk to them about it, etc etc. Lady, I don't care what other people do, I AM NOT PUTTING MY BOAT IN THAT CANAL.. And this is when there were probably 30 homes in the similar inventory (now maybe 3, no selection at all for buyers) so I wasn't exactly desperate.

Thank you for accepting feedback graciously. It's not as common as you would hope.

And hat's off to you for homeschooling - not my cup of tea but I have many, many successful homeschooling friends, some religious, some not, many miliitary, some boat-schooled, all multiple children (can't think of any with less than 3 kids, up to 6) All 4-year college-bound or in studies now (except one that I know of). Here homeschoolers can even participate on HS sports teams in their zoned schools so they can earn those all-important varsity letters. I consider homeschooling pretty mainstream myself.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

That's the pretty picture for the front page of the listing. It shows the setting, and makes the house look like it's part of that setting.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

At least now I know what an earlier showing feedback comment meant when they said the house was "too close to Black Forest."

I was thinking that someone in Colorado named a local forest after the one in Germany (or after a delicious cake) but was confused because I didn't see any forest in the pictures posted.

Personally, I would not like the extra driveway and would be thinking its an area I'd have to re-seed.

Backing up to a busy road can affect your home value, so even comps in the neighborhood may not be apples to apples comparisons. We are in a similar situation here. Houses on the other side of our street back up to ball fields and tennis courts used by high school and little league teams. They deal with bright lights that are on until 10pm sometimes. Houses on our side of the street back up to a farm. We deal with coyotes and have a little more distance between the house and the lights (another 150', makes a big difference).

So houses on this side typically sell for a little more than houses on the other side (about a 10-15% difference). Of course if people knew how damn loud the coyotes were they might prefer the lights ;)

• coloradomomof5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@All-thanks everyone for your support. I really am an open book, have found that through the years that "pretending" never serves anyone well. BUT, having said that I feel that sharing my situation seemed to have brought, how shall we say, not the best out in people. I apologize that my story had caused angst for anyone. Here's to a Merry Christmas, safe travels, and hope for the New Year!

from,

A mom from Colorado, who homeschools, and has 5 kids

• sweet_tea
    11 years ago

I love the photo above. I agree, that should be your primary photo in MLS and on your fliers.

Bottom line, the view/acreage is your selling feature. You need to promote the view in the MLS, in the flyers. Promote it with photos of the view and photos of the agreage and have the MLS talk about the stunning views and privacy/acreage.

Your comp that sold. That's what their realtor did-they promoted the setting more than the home itself. I recall a stunning photo of a barn in your comp. It was worthy of being framed art because it was so much more than just a photo of a barn. That realtor was selling the lifestyle and that photo portrayed it perfectly. This is what your realtor should do also.

Folks that move to your area are looking for 1) the view 2) land to spread out-they dont want a small lot in a subdivision. They want privacy. they want country feel, but still upscale. They want to be rugged like the folks in LL Bean photos. A tad rustic is really "in" now. If you can do anything rustic in your decor, this would help give that "feeling". Your floral or country decor is a bit dated so get away from that feel and get more into a rustic/wester/modern feel. It's a fine line from country but the floral is the biggest tipoff of country. So is anything blue on the inside. Your outdoor photo above does the rustic/view/privacy thing perfectly.

If your buyers just wanted a nice large home, they could find this closer to town. They want your lifestyle.

• sweet_tea
    11 years ago

Is that a trampoline in your side yard, to the left? Or is it a rustic western covered wagon. i was thinking it is a covered wagon for display? If it's a trampoline, put it in storage asap.

The telephone poles...I see them but the mountain view and open space is more breathtaking so you don't notice the poles that much. At least in the photo.

• mojomom
    10 years ago

Coloradomom, I hope you see this. It looks like you are in the evacuation area for the black forest fire. Hope you and the family are ok. Please give us an update if you can.. Thinking of you and all others affected.

• deeje
    10 years ago

Every time I see an update on the wildfire, I think of ColoradoMom. Hope that everyone's okay.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

I don't think there are any trees or shrubs in ColoradoMom's neighborhood is there?

• mojomom
    10 years ago

No, but I went back and found her listing and her house was right in the middle of the evacuation zone. Wildfires spread like crazy in the grasslands out there too especially with the dry winds they were experiencing at the time.