Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

Yeah! The cruddy house on my street finally sold!

jewelisfabulous
9 years ago

Just goes to show that, with enough time, even the worst home in the neighborhood will sell. Doesn't hurt that we're experiencing a seller's market in our area currently, either. I do hope that the buyers were aggressive in their offer considering the DOM, the home's flaws, and the fact that it was overpriced per the comps.

Comments (3)

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

The one I'm keeping my eye on is such a pariah even the investors have stayed away so far. Not in my neighborhood, but in a decent working-class area, not the ghetto, and on half an acre.

In addition to the typical "needs a gut" stuff the place smells OVERWHELMINGLY of cat pee. Like walk in the front door and gag.

It started at $18K. It has crept down to $12,500 over the past few months. Still no takers. I've been tempted, but we've decided no new houses till we finish the one we're in.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cat urine is the kiss of death for a house.

There is a "cat pee" house in another section of our subdivision. When the house went into foreclosure, a flipper bought it. During renovations, he replaced the flooring, but not the sub-floor or any of the joists. Now that the house is closed up for winter, the buyers he sold it to are starting to notice the odor.

I really think cat urine needs to be specifically addressed on the disclosure statement.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

One of the two run down houses sold in DDs neighborhood three years ago. Investors had bought it, knocked it down, and built a mcmansion on it, which sold for over $2M, which is pricey for her street but certainly not her area. Keep your fingers crossed that someone will do a really nice job on a renovation.