Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

Posted by caulk_king (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 17:36

Hi -

I have a small commercial property that has been on the market for some time. We have a signed contract, earnest money posted, title work done (at my expense)& we are almost at the end of the option period for the seller to back out without losing the earnest money. About 2 weeks ago, the seller contacted our realtor asking if they could get an extension. We declined & they said they'd make all deadlines & close this month.

Well - our realtor contacted us & said he expects them to request an extension of 60-90 days. The catch is there are 3 other interested parties that won't even look at it while it's under contract.

We said to try to show it & if they make a firm "back-up" offer, we'd seriously consider it next week when we have to decide whether or not to grant an extension.

If we go with the 1st buyer, can & should we require more in earnest money for essentially having it off the market for so long?

What would you do?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

This is confusing. Are you the buyer or seller?


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

Sorry. I'm the seller. We have a signed contract with a buyer that will be asking for an extension.

Should have been:
About 2 weeks ago, the *BUYER* contacted our realtor asking if they could get an extension. We declined & they said they'd make all deadlines & close this month.


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

I guess it depends on how the commercial property market is in your area. At my company, we are trying to sell a warehouse and have encountered similar problems. The credit market for commercial property is still pretty sketchy and there is a lot of inventory to compete against. We've ended up agreeing to an extension.


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

"Well - our realtor contacted us & said he expects them to request an extension of 60-90 days. The catch is there are 3 other interested parties that won't even look at it while it's under contract."


You have 3 other interested buyers? What are you waiting for?!

If it were me (and I had other potential buyers), I'd say no to another extension, tell them to stop wasting your time and put up or shut up (lose their earnest money).

Here are three more reasons why you might want to act sooner than later.

Links that might be useful:

Wilbur Ross Sees ‘Huge’ Commercial Real Estate Crash (Update2)
October 30, 2009
www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amPXzjQV3nGQ

Commercial real estate nowhere near a recovery as bottom is year away at least-Poor property prospects
By Steve Kerch, MarketWatch
Nov. 5, 2009
www.marketwatch.com/story/commercial-real-estate-
yet-to-hit-bottom-2009-11-05?siteid=rss

Commercial real estate woes imperil US recovery
Nov 15, 2009
news.malaysia.msn.com/top-stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3705662


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

I have no way of knowing if the 3 other people are really serious or not - they won't even look at the property while it's under contract & I can't say I blame them. Why waste time...

The realtor is showing it to one of them on Thursday. If they make a written offer, I guess we'll have to decide. If they don't, then we'll just have to decide about the extension. I know the commercial market is bad - it's been on the market for a very long time. We've gone thru a series of price reductions & finally hit "the price" apparently!


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

What reason is the buyer giving for needing the extension? Is it specific to him/her? Is it a financing issue that anyone else is also likely to face as well? I'm sure that things are likely to slow down through the holidays...


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

Here is a thought: have them pay $x for the extension.

For example, $5k payment NOW to you for a 60 day extension and $8k NOW to you for 90 day extension. You keep the money no matter what. You don't sign the extension without the money in front of you.


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

The reason appears to be "personal" in nature, not financial. I do not have the specifics. I am pretty certain (as certain as I can be without seeing bank records) that the money is there.

I like the idea of paying $$ for the extension. I will kick that around with our realtor when I talk to him after Thursday's showing to one of the other interested parties. Maybe they'll come in with a higher cash offer & want to close on Friday. OK - maybe not on Friday......


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

We asked for more money to extend & they declined, thus ending the contract. They say they are still interested, but will wait to see if they are able to straighten out whatever it is they need to straighten out. So - back on the market! Hopefully the other interested parties are still interested!


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

You did what you needed to do... you forced them to show their hand.
Good luck.


 o
RE: Signed contract - Asking for extension. Again.

Thank you. I've since heard thru the grapevine that it may be divorce.... so we'll see if this resurfaces once things are settled/final.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here