Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espresso_gw

Inspection report results

espresso
10 years ago

I am in the process of buying a home. The inspection report is in, and thankfully, it looks like I am getting a solid home. However, here are some findings that I would like to get some feedback on from the group. If you think I ought to post this in another forum, please let me know.

1. The property is on a slight incline. There is a walkout sliding door in the basement. Per report, the grading around this area is insufficient. It's basically flat. He made the recommendation about proper grading. The home is 6 years old, and has not had any water problems as a result of the lack of grading. Is this worth pursuing?

2. One of the deck support posts is slightly leaning. He suggested this being a result from the frost heaving the cement base support, and it may settle back to normal after the winter. Any thoughts?

3. Deteriorated concrete baffles in septic tank, where the tank has not been pumped in four years. It seems like the people I deal with avoid the pink elephant in the room, and some even tried to talk me out of a septic inspection at all. No way!

Thanks for the input!!

Comments (7)

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

The septic tank baffles is the only item that I would recommend asking for.

• User
    10 years ago

Deal with the septic issue and keep an eye on the other issues with the plan to address them in the future just like any other home issue that will arise.

• espresso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed. It will be addressed. Per the inspector, there would be no doubt that some solids made their way into the leech field. In other words, I may be buying the cat in the bag?

• espresso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed. It will be addressed. Per the inspector, there would be no doubt that some solids made their way into the leech field. In other words, I may be buying the cat in the bag?

• marie_ndcal
    10 years ago

When we sold, we had to completly empty the septic tank so the inspector could see the bottom. Also had to have it certified. This was done per Los Angeles code at that time and required for sale. Now sure about the support on the deck. We get alot of that here in ND, and sometimes it goes back and other times takes much longer. In our case, it is not deep enough in the ground, but because it is involving the porch, not the house, I can use going thru the garage to get out.

• espresso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in NH, so yes, frost may very well be the issue with the cement pillar pushing up the deck support post.

I will have the owners pump the tank now, that we know it was not overfilled. Had I had them pump it earlier, and the inspector discover the cracked outflow baffle then, the worry about solids having leaked into the drain field would have been much bigger. Due to snow and frost, he is not able to locate the distribution box, let alone dig it out and check.

I did call the manufacturer/installer of this particular system, though, and they, much like the current inspector state that this particular system is a bit more robust and may digest some solid leakage downstream.

LA to ND, wow!! : )

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

In Washington they also require the septic be certified.