Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateydid29

Neighbor problems-what would you do

kateydid29
10 years ago

We recently moved into a subdivision. We sought and received approval from the subdivisions architectural committee to put up an 8x16 cedar shed. We had an Amish builder put it in. county requirements said no permit needed for a shed that size. I tried to find city regulations online but was unsuccessful. We assumed it was the same as the city (it's not-we do need a permit).

We will apply for and pay for the permit- we have no problem doing that since it is a requirement and it is our fault for not getting correct information in the first place

What would you do though-a neighbor complained to the zoning and planning board. We don't know which neighbor. Would you try to find out? My DH says let it go but I am afraid this is the start of a contentious relationship with a wacky neighbor.

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (8)

• phd12
    10 years ago

Let it go. As you already said, it was your mistake for not getting the permit, so it wouldn't matter whether someone complained or the inspector just noticed it. It would still be a structure without a permit.

If you've got a truly wacky neighbor they will eventually reveal themselves in other ways. Just enjoy the new house and don't let it bother you.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks phd12. I Can't even imagine complaining about this at all but don't understand why the neighbor didnt come to us first if he had issues with the shed.

• camlan
    10 years ago

"but don't understand why the neighbor didnt come to us first if he had issues with the shed."

Because not everyone will respond to finding out they broke the rules with a polite response. Many people prefer to go through an authority on matters like this, and remain anonymous, because they fear that a wacky neighbor might retaliate in some way.

If they go to a neighbor first and the neighbor doesn''t rectify the situation, then the neighbor will know who complained to the authorities a few months down the road.

It could be a neighbor who wanted to make sure that you *don't* have a contentious relationship.

You could have a wacky neighbor. Or you could have one that just likes to make sure all the rules are followed. I'd just let it drop.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never thought about that perspective, camlan. Definitely valid points!

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Be careful about trying to find out who did it, especially since you admit you made the mistake. At our previous house, the neighbors across the street, after a decade of both of us living there, suddenly stopped returning our waves and pointedly shunned us. After a few months, we finally got them to tell us what the trouble was--they thought we had called the sheriff on them for something. Well, we had done no such thing. Their suspicion then turned to their next door neighbor, but they had either cooled down by then or thought it would be silly to suddenly give those neighbors the cold shoulder months after the event. So the whole thing died down.

Except we were left to feel rotten to have been wrongly accused. And, knowing them both, it was highly likely that the angry neighbor had complained about what they thought we had done to the next door neighbor, who didn't come clean about their part in the whole matter. They were probably just happy to deflect the blame onto us. How nice of them.

My suggestion is to let it go. No reason to make trouble where there may be none.

• kateydid29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds pretty unpleasant gyr falcon! We are trying to forget about it. Whats also helped is that we have gotten about 6 inches of snow today and, after seeing my husband and I shoveling our driveway, one of our neighbors came over with a tractor and plow and finished the job for us and said he'd be happy to do it all winter long if we wanted!!! A little good karma!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Most likely it was just someone concerned with upholding that things are done properly in the neighborhood, with permits and standards met. That protects their (and your )property value. Don't feel bad, upset, paranoid or whatever about it. Be grateful that you have neighbors that care about how things look and are done.

And, ditto on the benefits of acting anonymously. You might have been upset and defensive and resentful if they had approached you directly. They have no way of knowing.

• Mike_D36
    10 years ago

Here's my story, I bought a starter home at the height of the market for $289,000, refinanced once for a much better interest rate, and the market has obviously since crashed and is now worth $155,000 leaving me ~130K underwater. To top it off the old lady moved out next door and in moved a level 2 sex offender, the only one in my town, and I was lucky enough to be the one he moves next to.

I can't sell the house, can't rent the house. It won't be worth what I bought it for until sometime in the 2030's, and even then I still have a sex offender next door making a sale impossible. To cap it off my babysitter called the police on him for wielding a hammer at my dogs over the fence and screaming like a raving lunatic.

Consider yourself lucky... You don't have neighbor problems.