Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Can a buyer keep how much they paid for a house confidential?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

How can a buyer keep the final price of the house they brought confidential?
Is it even possible?
Also, when looking on my county assessor's office website, you can research who owns what house and how much they paid for it but some of the records list the sale price as either being $0 or $1 dollar. What does that mean?

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A sale price of $0 or $1 usually indicates a gift or a quitclaim.

And most states require that property pricing be made public.

• notto
    9 years ago

You can even look up what is owed on a property, which bank has the note, who and when paid their house off etc...

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Some individuals can keep their information, including address and price paid, off the online assessor's website. (I don't know if you can get the information if you walk into the tax collector's office and ask.)

Many law enforcement people keep their info private. My brother-in-law is a deputy, his address is hard to find on the Internet.

ML

• rrah
    9 years ago

Every single state has different laws regarding the privacy, or lack of, and sales prices.

15 years ago, in my state, many disclosures said $1. That is because people wanted to keep it private so they put in that amount. In the years since, state laws have changed and tightened up on this. The title/closing agent MUST fill this out now with the true and accurate price. This information is used for market value property assessments in my state thus the need for accurate information.

Is this about your privacy (the person) or privacy related to a sales price? If it's about personal privacy buy/sell/transfer property in the name of a trust or LLC. The owners of trusts and LLCs are harder to find in many places.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest as rrah did.

A person can buy it/own it via a legal entity other than oneself. So, instead of seeing a person's name on the record, you'd see a legal entity name such as one ending in LLC or a trust.

• hayden2
    9 years ago

In our state, the sale price is not only public knowledge, the address, the buyer and seller's name are all published in the newspaper along with the sale price. I'm surprised other states permit any level of privacy. If it were all private, you'd never know if your taxes were fairly assessed compared to your neighbors, or if city officials were charging themselves pennies and charging you dollars.

• evaf555
    9 years ago

Old deeds in our state were written, "For one dollar and other valuable considerations" but the price paid is required to be listed ow.

• christopherh
    9 years ago

My deed also says "for one dollar and other valuable considerations.
    As mentioned above, each state has different laws.