Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyrenae

should we build new or restore old house

shelleyrenae
14 years ago

I live in NE Texas and we purchased a 1920, 1390 sq.ft. house for $1,000.00. The cost to move it to our land will be $10,000.00. We have houseplans drawn up to add on about 1200 more sq. ft. We can't do anything further until we sell our current home, but now are pondering whether to go thru with restoration or build new using the salvaged parts of the house. This will be our forever house, and we want as energy efficient as possible. The existing house is in fairly good shape, but needs lots of insulation. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

There's nothing like a old house for character. Why not add on to the house you bought using decorative elements from the 1920's to keep the house within the same look.

I'd strongly suggest you take a look at some of the old house boards and read up on old house restoration. IF you do decide to restore rather than destroy leave the windows alone. Despite what the sales folks are going to tell you you aren't loosing heat thru those old windows if they are properly maintained. Riping them out you will loose much of the houses character and charm. Replacement windows are just that something you will be replacing over time again and again.

• shelleyrenae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. One small issue,we would have to replace the current windows because over time, my uncle,who owned the house had boarded up window openings and put in single smaller windows, trying to make it more efficient. The big problem we believe, is the floor, as the hardwood floor sits directly on the joists with no insulation. We wanted to put new windows back,size,and look as original to the house. Just not sure if we couldn't build new exactly what we want for maybe less money. I do love old though. Scared of the money pit possibility.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I love old houses;

Gardenweb has an Old House Forum.

Best luck, & have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old House Forum

• shelleyrenae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks sylviatexas, I think I started on the wrong forum,moving over to the old house forum.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

We live in small 1870 schoolhouse. Took the interior walls, ceilings out (they were not orig) and had the soy based foam sprayed, then plastered. We added an addition and it was built with SIPS panels. It has been very energy efficient. Good luck. New energy efficient wood windows. We put in radiant heat and it was all worth it.

• shelleyrenae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our current house has been for sale since the spring, you can see it at Kijiji Shreveport 2602 sq. ft. 247,000.00. At my wit's end on why we haven't even gotten offer. No longer with a realtor, but that leaves more room to neg. price. then, the restore or build new question. The houseplan drawn up for the restore is what I like, but only one story. Maybe it's more craftsman style than farmhouse, but I do yearn for the look of two story simple lines farmhouse. I haven't had luck finding a floorplan. I like Allison-Ramsey and Moser Design Group. Any other suggestions?