Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finz2left

Entry level home -- best counter for resale -- new laminate or

finz2left
14 years ago

butcher block.

The homes in my area are entry level (125 -175,000). The homes do NOT have granite, but many are updated with fixtures, tiles etc. GARDEN homes have granite, etc., but buyers lose the yards, sq. footage etc.

We have a very small, boring, all white kitchen are will be making some minor inexpensive changes b/c we'll never recoup larger ones and we'll sell in 2-3 years. We tried to sell for a few months this year after the "big" season and in late summer/fall. It was a no-go, but we decided we can afford to stay put until the market bounces back, anyway -- so a win/win.

In the meantime, the main comment was that our kitchen was a bit boring, as were the baths. So, we are going to change out counters and hardware. We got AWESOME feedback from the kitchen board!!!! And, are going to move forward, and their comments were counters, sink, and hardware/faucets, too!

So, the decision, black/dark brown laminate or butcher block? Given the entry level nature, should we go with what looks best, or is there a resale issue to think one over the other? Butcher block could take an undermount sink...that's the only sticking point for us. And, of course, we'll paint and add color ;-).

Comments (24)

• Linda
    14 years ago

Definitely the dark brown/black laminate. It could be a regional thing, but most buyers I've dealt with dont like butcher block at all. There are some really nice chocolate/brown formica choices these days and it would look great with the white. You might consider doing a little tile behind the counter too. It really gives it a more finished look

• calliope
    14 years ago

I had butcher block in one home many years ago, and although it was beautiful it was not practical if you wanted to keep it beautiful. I think you have a good palette on which to build, and think you can achieve some really striking effects if you do it right and with just a modest outlay. Is there an exterior window?

• finz2left
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Linda and Calliope. There are no exterior windows in the kitchen. Standing at the sink, if you turn to the right, you see our dining room and a large window into the backyard. The kitchen was built in the interior of the home. Odd, I know. We chose the home for the exterior, which we love! But, the kitchen has issues :-).

Thanks for the thoughts on the tile, we were thinking about that, as well... as long as we keep it diy, I think we can stay in a reasonable price range :-).

• Billl
    14 years ago

In terms of $$$, you are probably going to lose money taking out a perfectly good countertop and replacing it with a similar material but different color. Of course, if you live there for 3 years, you might think it is worth the money for your own enjoyment.

Personally, I would just replace the faucet and paint the walls a more vibrant color.

• larke
    14 years ago

I used a Wilsonart laminate last year in a teensy kitchen - it was granite look (must have been a direct photo) and you couldn't tell it wasn't granite til you touched it!

• qdwag
    14 years ago

agree with Billl, it appears the existing countertop is in perfect condition,i would NOT replace it..Perhaps add a tile backsplash, and paint the soffit above the cabinets a color that compliments the tile backsplash..Be bold with the choices..

• cordovamom
    14 years ago

I agree with qdwag Unless the existing laminate is in bad condition (scratches or burn marks), I'd leave the laminate as it is and paint the soffits, put in a tile backsplash and add life with accessories. If the laminate is in bad shape, I'd still do the paint and backsplash, but replace with laminate not butcher block.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

It's a very nice kitchen, & I'm with the posters who said don't spend the money, just add color with paint & backsplash.

& you can also accessorize with cute/colorful canisters, paper towel holders, towels, etc.

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

If it were me I'd ditch the laminate and the granite idea and do the counter and back splash in tile. Something in a sand/beige color. It will give it some zing and make cleaning up much easier. Painted walls are tough to keep clean in a well used kitchen.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Just add a vibrant color that picks up the floor tile color. The other remodeling ideas will not bring you more money when you sell. You just need to remedy the sterile look, and paint plus some 'countertop staging' will do that!

• finz2left
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! I want to change the countertops for me in the next 2 years, as well as get some "zing" when we decide to sell. I can tell based on the feedback here to stay clear of butcher block!

And, the other things I'll do for me! I have tons of Fiesta (vintage and post 86), so I've got the color for counter staging :-).

When I read about color -- I get scared. Some people hate yellow, I read. I had chartreuse for a few years, and visitors thought it was "really bright," a polite way of saying "too much" lol! So, sadly, I neutralized to sell and made it sterile -- then decided not to sell anyway ;-). Sigh.... I think for "me" with the hopes it will play well when I sell, I'll go with darker countertops and investigate tile backsplash options. I'm exhausted trying to find a paint color that pops, that won't turn people off, LOL.

• Billl
    14 years ago

There is a fine line between color and COLOR!!!! However, with that many white cabinets and appliances, most of the wall space is already white. The little bits of wall that show are going to read as more of an accent color than "big, bright wall." I'd also stick with "warmer" colors. eg if you want yellow, go with a more orangy yellow rather than neon yellow. Neony colors tend to look extra bright next to big patches of white.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I sold my house this past summer and it was a buttery yellow. My realtor told me to change the color to a taupe, but I didn't have the time to get it repainted before putting it on the market. I had also gotten several positive comments from people on the color. As I went around visiting friends and relatives this past summer, I realized that most had shades of yellow in their houses.

If you like yellow, you can probably pull it off, but you need to use a light shade.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Before doing much of anything, what does the likely competition look like?

If you do not know, try talking to a local RE person with experience in the immediate area the house is located.

Simply leaving it white and clean may be more appealing than a color a new buyer might not like.

• phillipeh
    14 years ago

If you are going for resale, I'd say go with the best you can afford. And if you are going to live there for 3 years or so, pick something you'll enjoy. Just because other homes around you don't have granite, if you can afford it and like it, go for it. Your home will stand out in buyers' minds, if nothing else.

• olga_d
    14 years ago

I like the clean white look too - some nice colourful accessories would be good though. Or if you really want to change the counter, I'd consider a black/grey laminate and some light blue glass tile backsplash perhaps. Or just paint the backsplash area for a cheaper version.

Just trying to think of bright, airy colours to keep it feeling nice and open.

• C Marlin
    14 years ago

Another thing, do you have good lighting. Do the counters, then make sure the lighting is good since it is inside.
    Keep it simple since it is small.
    Think of adding character more than color.

• calliope
    14 years ago

I think the lighting was a good suggestion. I love to see a unique lighting fixture against a minimal and classic kitchen. Everyone has their own tastes, and perhaps you like the 'cans', but a nice pendant or set of pendants would show so well overhead against the white of the cabinets.

If that were my kitchen I'd love to see gunmetal streaky grey slate slapped down for the counter, a pendant light, a high-arched set of sink fixtures.

I adore my kitchen. We literally tore it down to the dirt three years ago to replace the floor joists in this ancient house and decided that since we were starting from scratch, we should take the opportunity to do it wherever our dreams took us. But, I'll tell you ......your kitchen piques my imagination. I like those banks of cabinets. I think it could be really stunning if you keep those lines sleek and clean and play off the dark/light and feed in a little light and airy paint and just a few dramatic accessories.

• dabunch
    14 years ago

If you're selling, just stage it.

I'd like to see your hardware closer.

Do not replace a counter with another like material. It's pointless. You're kitchen is perfectly neutral, so just give it a bang.
    Here's what I would do:
    1- I would replace the hardware, IF necessary.
    2-I would place some paintings (3) along the walls to add some color. You know those kitchen-y pics of a chef, grapes, or people sitting at tables, ect. Use something neutral- Colors that go with the rest of the area, and pleasing to the eye. Place a couple of LARGE items on the counter for a warm affect(not kitchen appliances-lol), or just place fresh flowers, or fruit on the counter to create a focal point. Make sure all these things go together. Keep it simple.

If you're really adamant about replacing a counter, go to a granite yard and look for remnants. You can get a small counter done for a little more than laminate. Go with the cheaper granite. Backsaplshes are tricky, because if not done neutral, people may not like it. That is why I would suggest standing pictures along the wall...Peoples' eyes will be drawn to the decor, rather than noticing a lack of backsplash ;)

• dabunch
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, I would replace the faucet. Unless the sink is scratched up, leave it.
    Beige color walls with pictures framed with dark/black frames against the walls and dark hardware will give it a nice lift.

Don't use too much of your budget if you are selling a starter home. Just make it LOOK expensive.

• spoonietreasure
    14 years ago

yellow for the walls. like farm fresh scrambled eggs. red fiesta bowl dripping with fresh fruit. keep the counter and backsplash, just add a thin row of fancy glass tiles as a border. tall faucet with lever handles. a picture above the sink, one of those faux window scenes. a set of small cafe pictures, black frames, one in the kitchen, two in the dining area. put a basket of cloth napkins and a nice candle and fresh flowers on the table.

i'm thinking maybe $200 tops...

• phoggie
    14 years ago

If you are really wanting a darker countertop and your laminate is in good condition, I have a friend who just had hers "refaced". You will have to check the home improvement places, but she said there was three steps putting on the material, but it was just something that she had to prep, paint on, and put on the top coat and oh my it looks just like granite with flecks in it. I don't know how expensive it was to do, but I doubt it was much...she is very conservative...but it certainly looks great and is supposed to stand up very well.

But I will agree with some other posters, with the addition of some yellow and red, I don't think I would do anything to those counters.

• szmarie
    14 years ago

Here is a website with the faux granite option: http://www.gianigranite.com/?275065b0
    I'm getting a house ready to put on the market also - an entry level townhouse - and I've got a kitchen with walnut cabinets, white counters and white appliances. I want to jazz it up and I'm considering doing the counters with this stuff.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I sold a little tract home in the last recession, 1991. I staged it really well by decorating it in the latest and most lavish style at the time. I'd suggest not over doing it with expensive items that won't do that much to give it WOW appeal. Granite is a subdued look. You might do better with upgrading the decor. Look at a few magazines and go for "a look". That will stun someone seeing it for the fist time, leave a positive lasting impression. My house sold in 3 weeks and the new owners asked for the matching decorator items to be sold with the house when we left. :0)