Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmfc_gw

To what extent does the privacy of a backyard matter?

dmfc
11 years ago

Hi. I've found a house in which I'm interested that's on a nice lot. What I like about the lot is that it backs up (not straight, but at a 45 degree angle) to a bike/walking path and a creek. I've spent a little time hanging out on the deck and in the yard in the back of the house, and I've found that the traffic on the path doesn't bother me. Folks just seem to go by without paying attention to the houses bordering the path.

The concern I have regards two neighbors and their ability to see all that happens on the deck and in the yard. One of the neighbors has a house that also backs up diagonally to the path, so their deck and yard aren't private either. If we all backed up straight to the path, this wouldn't be much of a problem.

My general question regards the importance of privacy when using a deck or yard. I live on 50 acres right now, and I enjoy the privacy. But, it's not hard to find houses on small lots with privacy, especially in older neighborhoods with trees and/or fences.

I recognize that some might say they wouldn't care (i.e., if the yard and deck are nice, just enjoy it and don't worry about who sees what). For others, not having privacy might be a dealbreaker. While I've found folks debating all sorts of issues online (e.g., do I need a formal dining room?), I haven't been able to get many opinions on the backyard/deck privacy issue.

Can anyone offer some opinions? I find that the concern is making me hesitate, and I'd welcome views of any sort.

Thanks

Comments (41)

• dmfc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. The home is 15 years old. It has some nice trees in the yard, but the yard is still exposed to the neighbor (as is theirs).

If I hear you right, you're saying that, if privacy can't be achieved, then it would be a complete deal breaker. In other words, if privacy is really important, no reduction in price might compensate for its absence.

In any case, I appreciate the clear response. I wonder if anyone will say it's no big deal.

• kats_meow
    11 years ago

The road we are on slopes. The property on one side of us is higher elevation and the house on the other side is lower elevation. I would guess that the people on the "higher side" house could pretty much see most things in our backyard. We do have a partially covered patio and I'm sure some of that can't be seen. There are probably some some areas that can't be seen. But, truthfully, it doesn't really bother me. It is just not a big deal.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

If you have privacy and get used to it you always want it but millions of people live without it just fine.

My previous home had 100% privacy and when I moved here where I do not have that I had a bit of time adjusting.
    Sooner or later you realize that no one cares what you are doing and you get on with your life.
    My yard is so large that complete privacy would 1) break anyone's bank and 2) look completely wrong in this neighborhood. The topography of the area just doesn't lend itself to total privacy between lots- they are simply too deep. It would be ridiculous to run 600 feet of hedge on each side just so my 70 year old neighbors can't watch me pull weeds, LOL.

Now, I do landscape to block views within reason but that is far different from 100% privacy from all directions IMO.
    100% is a luxury.
    Most times other considerations trump luxury.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

It would not concern me if the neighbors had a clear view of my deck. But all that matters is whether it bothers you.

It seems to me that through landscaping and hardscaping, you could find ways to minimize the view.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

I grew up (and was first a homeowner) in California, where lots are small and thus are all fenced. I moved to the midwest where lots are larger and typically unfenced (usually fenced only if they have a pool or want to keep the dogs in). It seemed a bit odd to me at first, but the benefit is that it feels like you have a larger yard, since your yard flows into your neighbors'.

So yeah, sometimes you're out in the yard at the same time as your neighbors, and you wave to them, or engage in conversation. But they don't stare at you when you're barbecuing or oversee your weed pulling.

Ultimately it's a personal preference. It's not a problem for lots of people, but it is for some. So is it an issue for you? That's the important question.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh, the entire yard wouldn't need to be private. But, I'd want a pergola or other structure over a portion of a deck, and I'd want some plantings to screen at least the immediate area around the house. And yes, I've lived in urban locations that had minimal lots, but there was always some type of privacy available with some creative thought and plant matter. I once planted gourds into large pots on my apartment deck and used nylon netting and rebar to let them grow up vertically and create a "shade cave" that gave me some privacy from the rest of my neighbors.

And yes, owning a home where you couldn't (as in HOA prohibited) build a fence or plant some shrubs between you and your neighbor, that's a complete deal breaker. Almost everything else would be able to be negotiated depending on the price of the home involved and the abilities of a landscape architect.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It also depends upon the area. Where I grew up, most yards are almost completely open to each other. While some people have hedges or plantings at the borders of their property for some screening, a complete hedge or high fence that blocks off the entire yard is considered and act of extreme hostility.

• violetwest
    11 years ago

a certain amount of privacy, and the ability to use landscaping or some kind of structures to achieve screening from my neighbors. I think seeing the users of the bike/creek path would be kinda cool, though.

In the end, only you can answer this question. How much does privacy matter TO YOU?!

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

I regret buying our current home as we have zero privacy in our tiny backyard. We have at least a dozen neighbors backing up/ looking not our backyard so our situation is a bit different, but privacy does matter. However, if these two neighbors are just next to you then maybe planing some trees or large shrubs would help. It also depends on how close they are to you in our situation our home are practically touching and it is extremely annoying to have our windows open in the summertime and hear the teenage neighbor shouting obscenities at his video games.

As far as the trail goes my only real concern would be security. I walk our trail quite frequently and I always think about how much more exposed those homes are and how a thief would have easy access. Not to mention thinking about pervs watching my kids play in the backyard.

This post was edited by olivesmom on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 22:37

• ilovepoco
    11 years ago

There's also what I call "psychological privacy". Lots of ways to achieve this!

When we built our deck, we quickly realized that when either we or our next-door neighbors walked out of our respective back doors, we were looking right at each other. They are great friends and neighbors, and we share similar lifestyles, so it wasn't a big deal. But sometimes I just want to go out with a cup of tea and be alone with my thoughts. I did not want (and could not afford) to put up a total-coverage fence or evergreen hedge.

So we splurged on 3 multi-clump birches when there was a sale at the local nursery, and planted them in a loose row/clump at the strategic location. (Our neighbors even helped us with the planting.)

Now when I go out on the deck, although I can see my neighbors if they are also out, we both have the option of starting a conversation or not... and it doesn't feel at all rude NOT to. The light cover of branches and greenery is enough to provide a more than adequate level of privacy, plus we both get plenty of sun and air and don't feel shut in or excluded.

Other examples: On the opposite side of the deck we put up a decorative piece of bamboo lattice (about 3 x 5 feet) to provide psychogical privacy between us and the other neighbor. It's really almost completely see-through---I have nothing growing on it---but it encloses my private space.

And when some old pines at the back of our property started opening up at the bottom over the years and we found ourselves looking into our back neighbor's basement, we hung an American flag off the side of the shed right in that line of sight. It's funny---I almost can't make my brain see the basement window anymore as hard as I try to focus on it---I just see the flag flapping in the breeze, and I assume it's the same for my neighbors.

So yes, for me privacy matters, but it probably wouldn't be a deciding factor in house-buying unless the LACK of privacy was truly egregious and there were no practical solutions. When we bought this place (suburban home on 3/4 acre) it was wide open---but it had possibilities, and we were young and full of energy. Now we are old and tired :o), but people are amazed when they step into our private backyard wonderland. And not a stockade fence or arborvitae hedge in sight!

Hope this helps.

• littlebug5
    11 years ago

We used to live in the middle of 130 acres surrounded by woods. No one could even see our house, much less us in our yard. We sold that about 6 months ago and bought a house in town on a small lot backing up to the golf course. Just about a 180-degree change in privacy!

the lack of privacy doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. We have known our neighbors on each side for years (went to high school with one of them). The ladies' tee box for hole #1 is less than 40 yards from my kitchen window. So we have virtually NO natural privacy.

We DO, however, have a screened-in back porch. I hung nice patio curtains that billow in the wind and give me some privacy. So I can sit out there with my morning coffee and listen to the golfers talk but they really can't see me. Also, I have planted some tall grasses in the back yard strategically placed to help some more. They are attractive and fast-growing.

At night I am bothered a little by golfers (trying to get in just one more hole) when my lights are on in the house. I know they can see in clearly. So I have to close my curtains - I really need to get some in the kitchen!

I guess I am so thrilled to be living on the course (I am an avid golfer) that I have willingly given up privacy. But only you can determine if you can, too.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I do value some privacy in my backyard. I mean, if I walk out back at 6am to potty the dog and want to fill the bird feeder at the same time, I don't want to be thinking I need to put on a bra and make my bed head presentable. I want to throw on a barn jacket, shuffle over to the feeder, and shuffle back up to the house.

Go ahead, call me white trash :)

For us, privacy was important at the dogs eye level because if he is provoked he will bark. His definition of provocation is a little different than ours - but if someone is right up against the fence he would consider that provoking behavior (and if the neighbors cat is rubbing on his fence, that is war).

So, some pet owners might find this property less desirable and anyone who (like me) is low class enough to fill the bird feeder while balancing their first cup of coffee in the other hand might want more privacy, too.

How big is the lot? If its 0.25 acres or less, I think most people won't expect a lot of privacy. This was one of the reasons we wouldn't consider smaller lots, and one reason we overpaid for this house. We back up to farm land and are flanked by a paper road on one side (paper road = road that is in the original plans for this area but was never built). That extra buffer made this house worth more than most of the others we saw because it felt less exposed (and hadn't been remuddled too much by previous owners).

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

EngineerChic - Lack of underwear and a bedhead will not stop me from filling my backyard feeders in the am, LOL.
    I won't work in the front yard looking like a haint but the back yard is fair game IMO.

Most of us are far too concerned with what others think of us- they are off in their own heads thinking about their own lives. No one cares if someone scoots out to fetch their newspaper in a robe and slippers... unless it is the middle of the day :)

I think that I am allowed to look like anything I like until after 8:30-9am. Before then it is morning and I look like it is morning as does everyone else just getting going. If it's later than that I am dressed and presentable, but in the very early am hours I don't find it offensive that folks might look like they just got up.
    I'd find it much more odd that someone would do full hair, makeup, and clothing just to go outside to fill a bird feeder at 6am.

Again- no one cares :)

• pink_overalls
    11 years ago

It would be a deal-breaker for me. I feel exposed in a backyard that doesn't have privacy all around, either by fencing, landscaping, or by the way neighbors' houses are situated. To be able to putter and relax in my own little world knowing that no one will be interrupting me watching me is so important that I've walked away from homes that would have neighbors' backyard lawns backing up to mine. Whether you entertain, exercise, garden, or soak naked in a hot tub, you can do it your way.

It all depends on how strongly you value privacy, for whatever reason. If you are thinking about it at all, I think it means the lack of privacy would bother you.

• Beachykeen09
    11 years ago

It would be a deal-breaker for me. I thought lack of privacy wasn't a big deal when I bought my home.There's basically only a wide strip of grass and a row of arborvitae between my house and the house in back. There used to be a tall fence there, but when it fell down, the owner never replaced it and I can't afford to do it myself. Thirteen years of noisy/rude renters who can see everything on my deck through the trees has convinced me that my next house will not be as close to neighbors.
    BTW, although I enjoy riding them, I wouldn't buy any house that abuts a bike path. At least here, parts of many bike paths are high-crime areas.

• lyvia
    11 years ago

I grew up with a passel of kids who played together in the middle of the block, in full sight of most of the houses. Many of our games were too big for one yard.

But now I prefer privacy. I kinda like the occasional friendly wave, and the current dogs are fine, but I can't stand the lawnmowers and leafblowers. I know my yard smells of dog if I neglect it, but no one has complained. But privacy is not just visual.

Privacy is a personal preference. A hot tub needs more privacy than a general deck. It depends on what you might do out there and what your neighbor might do.

• dmfc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great replies. You've given me much about which to think. I've been spoiled in recent years with a lot of privacy, and you've reminded me that there are many dimensions to this (e.g., I forgot about having to hear lawnmowers).

I don't know if this will work, but I've attempted to attach a photo which shows a view of the deck and yard of the house in which I'm interested from the neighbor's upper deck. I was able to obtain the photo because the neighbor's house is also for sale. In any case, I'm wondering if this photo will offer a better sense of what I was trying to describe and if, after viewing the photo, the exposure would be any more or less of a dealbreaker. You can see the houses aren't right on top of each other. At the same time, the yard and deck are exposed.

Thank you, again, for all the thoughts.

• User
    11 years ago

There's enough distance between the houses that you're not right on top of each other. Plus, the existing trees and shrubs that you see will grow and fill in and provide more screening.

However, if that T shaped path is the bike path, I wouldn't care for it much at all unless it had a regular police patrol. It's an invitation to break ins by kids and other troublemakers.

• dmfc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bike path is on the left of the photo (top of the T). The other path is just a little connector to the subdivision. Fortunately, crime around there is almost nonexistent.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I think this can be pretty easily addressed with a decent fence. You don't have to use a 6' stockade fence, even a 5' fence with slightly gapped boards will work here.

The deck is far enough from the neighbors that privacy isn't an issue to me, no one would be able to hear conversations unless you were fighting loudly.

I think with a fence and some shrubs this is quite workable. The fence will probably run you $10k to $15k, depending on the actual length of it and where you are (labor costs).

• word_doc
    11 years ago

That is LOVELY. I have thought about your post and came to realize that for whatever reason, probably at least partly subconscious, all three of the homes we bought over the years backed up to woods such that we could never see anything BUT woods behind us. The exception would be my current home, where we are up sort of on a ridge, with a thick stand of pine trees backing the property--so, same effect. Neighbors have either been far enough away to not be an issue or we put up fencing in the case of one nightmare neighbor situation (it actually caused us to move).

I don't think I would hesitate to purchase that property, even given my disinclination to see/be seen from my back yard. The trail is pretty neat and as long as crime is not an issue, I don't think that would trouble me a bit. It gives a sort of park-like/vacation feel to it. The neighbor is far enough away that I don't think it would be a problem for me. If it ever came to really bother me, there are landscaping options and also different fencing as well, but unless you have the misfortune of having a psycho for a neighbor, which is pretty unlikely, I don't think you will have any trouble. Good luck with your decision!

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

I think you would have enough privacy particularly if you installed a fence. You could live with the trees you have and then plant more in the fall if you were still feeling exposed.

OT - My concern with that yard would be how much water does the yard get during a big rain and does it drain well? The three culverts look like they could get a huge flow going through them.

• kitykat
    11 years ago

I find SOME semblance of privacy necessary. As one post said, at least being able to sit on your patio/deck, alone with your thoughts, is a good thing. I once lived next door to a woman who would call and inquire when I rearranged my furniture! Also have lived where surrounding houses were higher than mine, and felt my large rear windows left me exposed. Additionally, when working in the garden, I dislike my every move subject to scrutiny.

I think a mix of trees, shrubs, and vine covered trellis in focused groupings can screen, while not fully enclose, a garden. Similarly, patios and decks can have pergola like covers and lattice-type screening, all strategically located for visual and psychological privacy.

My neighbors are nice, and I like them, but they are not family, and I really do not want them privy to my every outdoor movement.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Go with your gut. This house does not have enough privacy for you. I've lived in a small house on a small lot with mature trees. Sort of private because of the trees and the way the houses were offset from each other. But the real reason is that none of the neighbors was nosy. I now live on over an acre with nothing behind and no one's backyard facing mine. No privacy at all because of a nosy neighbor who comes to the very edge corner of his lot and makes my life miserable. Have got shrubbery and trees in place to block his view (which he complained about) but it will take time for them to fill in. Would love to have a 6 ft privacy fence but HOA prohibits. The house you looking at has no privacy and it will be difficult to really get any.

• dmfc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Keep the thoughts coming! It's very helpful. Among other things, I'm developing a better sense of the range of variables that one might consider under such circumstances. In other words, the problem is multidimensional.

I'm not sure about my gut feelings in this case. Yes, it would be great to have total privacy and freedom as I do now on 50 acres. And, I don't want nosy neighbors or to have the feeling that I can't just be. At the same time, I've spent a little time on the deck on various days, and it feels good to be there. I realize that living there could be different, and, as with most of us, I'm trying to evaluate tradeoffs.

I think that the ideas of using a lattice screen, a pergola, or perhaps an awning to screen the view of the deck from the neighbor is a good one. I want the view looking straight back from the house, not to the left (if sitting on the deck), so blocking that side would be perfect. I'm not good with such ideas (I wish that some of you could visit to help!), but the notion that it could be done makes me much more optimistic.

The yard is a different story, as it would be more of a challenge, but many of you have suggested ideas that could create at least some partial privacy. Still, if I'm playing with my little son in the yard, or if I was entertaining in the yard, we'd be exposed.

I've told myself that, if I wanted to move into town to gain some conveniences, I'd have to give up some of the pleasures of living on 50 acres. I definitely don't have to give up as much in privacy as I would with this particular house under consideration. This house just has a great location, a pretty setting, and some other desirable features. I have a couple of young sons, and that's why I'm moving into town. I wouldn't be considering buying this house if it wasn't for them. For houses outside of town, I've never had uncertainty about location/privacy/setting issues. I just knew whether I liked it. I think that I'm at least going to have to get over the matter of having close neighbors if I'm going to be in town, and, as any good parent, I'll continue to sacrifice for my sons. I may just be trying to rationalize what part of my gut is telling me not to do, but then I wonder about the challenge of finding the "perfect" home or even one that approaches perfection. This is getting deep...maybe I need real estate therapy. In any case, again, keep the opinions coming.

thanks

• dmfc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Keep the thoughts coming! It's very helpful. Among other things, I'm developing a better sense of the range of variables that one might consider under such circumstances. In other words, the problem is multidimensional.

I'm not sure about my gut feelings in this case. Yes, it would be great to have total privacy and freedom as I do now on 50 acres. And, I don't want nosy neighbors or to have the feeling that I can't just be. At the same time, I've spent a little time on the deck on various days, and it feels good to be there. I realize that living there could be different, and, as with most of us, I'm trying to evaluate tradeoffs.

I think that the ideas of using a lattice screen, a pergola, or perhaps an awning to screen the view of the deck from the neighbor is a good one. I want the view looking straight back from the house, not to the left (if sitting on the deck), so blocking that side would be perfect. I'm not good with such ideas (I wish that some of you could visit to help!), but the notion that it could be done makes me much more optimistic.

The yard is a different story, as it would be more of a challenge, but many of you have suggested ideas that could create at least some partial privacy. Still, if I'm playing with my little son in the yard, or if I was entertaining in the yard, we'd be exposed.

I've told myself that, if I wanted to move into town to gain some conveniences, I'd have to give up some of the pleasures of living on 50 acres. I definitely don't have to give up as much in privacy as I would with this particular house under consideration. This house just has a great location, a pretty setting, and some other desirable features. I have a couple of young sons, and that's why I'm moving into town. I wouldn't be considering buying this house if it wasn't for them. For houses outside of town, I've never had uncertainty about location/privacy/setting issues. I just knew whether I liked it. I think that I'm at least going to have to get over the matter of having close neighbors if I'm going to be in town, and, as any good parent, I'll continue to sacrifice for my sons. I may just be trying to rationalize what part of my gut is telling me not to do, but then I wonder about the challenge of finding the "perfect" home or even one that approaches perfection. This is getting deep...maybe I need real estate therapy. In any case, again, keep the opinions coming.

thanks

• c9pilot
    11 years ago

This is an interesting thread because "privacy" can also mean the opposite of "security".

I would love to be located directly on the Pinellas Trail and security is only a problem in the areas where security is always a problem whether on or off the trail, and I wouldn't be considering a home in those areas anyway. Most of the trail users are friendly folk walking their dogs or exercising and I would never consider them a threat and possibly more that they would keep an eye on suspicious activity.

Living on a canal, we have zero backyard privacy. If the neighbors care to watch us drop our bathrobes when we dip into the spa in the "dark", well, so be it. We obviously curtail from extra-curricular activities in the backyard! But the neighbors have also run to notify and help us when our dogs have fallen in the water, and we've rescued their dogs. We keep an eye on the fishermen that sometimes prowl around to make sure they're not tampering with anybody's boats. There was a gas-stealing problem, but our neighborhood patrol started a marine branch (to supplement the walkers, bikers and drivers) and that abruptly stopped. The nosy retirees on my street are somewhat annoying but also with so many people around during the day, we have had only a rare petty theft in the middle of the night from unlocked cars. Not much else can happen without someone being suspicious.

On the flip side, if I lived on big acreage and nobody could see my house from the street, I would not sleep well without my dogs. And I'd worry when I was gone for a couple of days.

Anyway, I think the personality of the neighborhood makes a big difference. Having an "open" backyard in California was fine because we became good friends with all the neighbors because they all were around our ages and had kids around ours' ages and dogs and we all socialized together. There are plenty of horror stories on this forum of folks who had/have terrible neighbors and needed privacy and security!

Just some things to consider.

• Fori
    11 years ago

That yard isn't bad--you can create privacy where needed and it won't look weird or unfriendly when you do.

I would absolutely not want to be on the path though.

• drcindy
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful area. I think the answer hinges mostly on perspective and experience. If you currently live on 50 acres this property must look small. I live on a 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision and this property looks huge to me! My backyard backs up to a greenbelt area and before we planted screening trees, we had problems with neighborhood kids coming into the backyard. Our house was also elevated from the neighborhood across the greenbelt, and those folks planted fast growing cypress trees to block the view into their backyards. The view from the neighbor's deck into your potential home, in my experience and opinion, is so far away they'd have to use binoculars to really see anything well. What concerned me more is the bike path being so close to the yard. I would feel very exposed from that point of view, and would try to find a way to plant some privacy hedges/screening plants.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

We recently moved to a new house with a long, narrow back yard. The yard has large shrubs and trees so we can't see the house which is right behind ours.

Here's the problem. This is Florida, I like to sit outside in the screened lanai, have my coffee, read the paper, etc. I can hear everything which goes on with the house behind us. They talk on the phone, I can hear their entire conversation. Sometimes, they put the phone on speaker and I can hear 2-way conversation. As a result, I am not comfortable using the phone on the patio nor having discussions which I would not want others to hear.

We sold our house in NY which had 1 and half acre surrounded by large trees and shrubs. The house was on a hill and the deck was high. Would feel like being in a treehouse. The house next to us could hear us on the deck because sound traveled down the hill. Our neighbors were good friends, but sometimes I had to remind myself to watch what I was saying.

Both houses had similar sound issues although this house in Florida is too close for comfort. I would plant your yard with trees. I don't like a bike path so close and would not consider this house. People walk dogs, and if you had dogs it could be a problem. You can put large potted plants on the deck, which I had done. I didn't do it for privacy but it certainly made the deck private. I moved all my houseplants outside in summer, plus I planted flower boxes on the deck rails.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Jane

• clg7067
    11 years ago

In some parts of the country, people have 6 foot privacy fences or block walls for total backyard privacy. This is not the case in most of the country. Being able to see what people are doing in their yards 6 houses down is pretty normal.

So, what part of the country do you live in and do YOU care?

Where I live, picket fence or 3 rail is common for those who even have a fence.

{{!gwi}}

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

"Oh, the entire yard wouldn't need to be private. But, I'd want a pergola or other structure over a portion of a deck, and I'd want some plantings to screen at least the immediate area around the house."

We bought a house on 1 acre instead of one (8-acres) out in the country because we wanted to be closer to amenities.

We have 5 parcels around us. Million dollar homes behind. $400k on the sides. Our is the least expensive!

We have kids that occasionally cut through our yard to get to other areas so we want to consider how to stay friendly, yet secure. Even though we have nice neighbors, we are thinking very carefully about our landscaping for the same reasons you cite.

DH doesn't want a fence but I want something that will clearly delineate our boundaries to discourage trespassing/burglars.

So far, all I've come up with are monster sized arborvitae, evergreens, and/or prickly hedges/raspberry bushes.

It is nice of you to consider the social aspect of having your young children be able to grow up in a neighborhood rather than be isolated.

Pro's and cons to both.

You might want to check the sex offender list to see who lives nearby, or talk to some long time neighbors who can share any concerns about those who might not stay on the trails.

I'll be watching to see how you resolve your privacy issue. Best of luck!

• krdpm
    11 years ago

Everyone's definition of privacy is different. From my perspective, of you love the house, the privacy issue with the neighbors is fixable. They're far enough away that with some strategic landscaping (although not cheap) I think it would be fine.

But as for the bike path, I would NEVER consider that house if I had kids. Never. We passed on an otherwise perfect house because it abutted a highly used nature trail. Sure, 99.9% of the people going by are fine, but what about the .01%? Are your kids old enough to hang out in the yard by themselves? When they are, can you imagine sending them out and having them disappear? I wouldn't be as worried about random petty criminal types as I would be about sick child predators. They go by one day, your kid catches their eye, they keep coming back, then who knows. Just seems too risky to me.

The risk of burglars...if it's generally a safe area, I wouldn't worry and would enjoy the house.
    The risk to my daughter...I would never feel comfortable and safe. Just not worth it to me.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

"We passed on an otherwise perfect house because it abutted a highly used nature trail. Sure, 99.9% of the people going by are fine, but what about the .01%?"

That is why I mentioned checking the predator list. We looked at a nice house on 5 acres that was in a great area. The elderly resident was moving into a nursing home.

While we were walking the property, we happened to run into the neighbor next door and had a chat with him. He seemed very nice. When I got home I did an offender search for that vicinity and was startled to learn that this 'nice' neighbors son was on the list for child offenses, domestic battery and burglary! He had lived elsewhere for awhile but was back living with his parents.

It made me wonder if the children of the elderly woman had moved 'mom' out because of this.

Needless to say we passed on the house. A little later I was curious to see who bought the house and learned that a couple with 2 young children had moved in.

I didn't want to take the chance that they didn't know about the guy who lived next door, so I sent them an anonymous note with a print out of the offender and the stats (address).

I didn't want to scare them but I would have felt terrible if I had neglected to share what I knew.

It takes a village to keep kids safe in this day and age. I'm very happy to do my part to help any/every child enjoy a safe, happy childhood.

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

I always check the lists when buying a house and used to advise my clients to check the lists for any house they were serious about.

I also go and knock on doors before submitting an offer on a house. I want to get a feel for the neighbors- do they seem sane, nice or obnoxious. Some of the questions I would ask : are there alot of kids in the neighborhood, how much traffic does the bike path get, how late? Are there any issues with the bike path?

For safety reasons with young kids, I would put up a secure fence. Make sure you drive by the property in the evening and on a weekend night to get a feeling for traffic and for noise in the neighborhood or roaming teens.

• Pipersville_Carol
    11 years ago

I'm a stickler about privacy, and this backyard looks private enough for me. A big pot of tall bamboo on that deck would block the neighbors perfectly.

For me, noise created by proximity is a bigger deal because it's more difficult to mask. I used to live in a small town with a next door neighbor who would come out on his deck every morning and emit a thunderous belch. And if a neighbor ever installed outdoor speakers and played music that I could overhear while gardening, I'd put my house on the market the next day.

Doesn't look like sound would be a problem at your property, though.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    11 years ago

I think that's a nice yard. My house backs up to a sidewalk and a somewhat busy 25MPH road. The road bugs me but the sidewalk doesn't. We have a row of trees there for privacy but you can still see people walking their dogs and pushing their babies -- I kind of like it and so do my kids. That is what living in suburbia is all about!

PS: our homeowners association prohibits fences unless you have an inground pool -- so seeing into each other's yards is the norm here.

• ronnie_dean01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I consider my backyard my private oasis away from the world when I get home from work. Got tired of a neighbor's friend who was out helping the neighbor build a roof on his new shed staring at me when I was weeding in my backyard. I dropped my shorts and stared at him with my arms crossed. Never saw him again at the neighbors. If you want to invade my alone time in my backyard, you may just regret it.

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

That's great!...

• bbred24
    3 years ago

So, seven years later, what did you end up deciding? I'm in the same boat and I'm terrified of not having the privacy.