Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicate_gw

Are white toilets a must for selling?

alicate
16 years ago

I am redoing our bathrooms soon but I want to keep resale value always in the back of my mind in case we would ever move. (I hope not!) Anyway, my house has beautiful wood crown moldings all on the main and upstairs floors. Since there is no white anywhere (golden buff walls) I thought a bisque color for the toilet was a good match. Now I hear from others that white is definitely preferred by most buyers. Do you agree?

Comments (30)

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

As a buyer I would prefer white. One toilet in bisque wouldn't turn me off, because I know how inexpensive a toilet is to replace. However, if you're planning on doing the tub, shower, sinks etc in bisque then I'd start thinking lots of money to redo. I cringe when I see a house with outdated colors like pink or blue for the bathroom fixtures and I don't think white ever goes out of style.

• redcurls
    16 years ago

I wouldn't mind the bisque IF the sink and tub also matched. Would NOT want a different color for the toilet only.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Well I could deal with a bisque toilet as it would be easy to replace and fairly inexpensive, but I wouldn't like a bisque tub or sink as that is a whole other issue. White is something that very few people object to as it is sort of the expected color to see.

• qdognj
    16 years ago

redoing my bath, and using bisque for the toilet,sink and tub...I redid my powder room using a white toilet and sink, and regret it..The white color seems to be very noticible against the dark cherry cabinets..Bisque,imho, seems a touch more subdued..

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I personal perfer bisque over white. I certainly do not think it is at all outdated, as I have just toured 1-2 million dollar homes - all with bisque!

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

Our main bathroom has matching bisque toilet, sink, and tub. It ties in well with the flooring and walls. The metal towel bars, hooks, toilet paper holder, and heat register are in a gold finish, which works well with bisque fixtures. It's a very classy looking bathroom. Our other two bathrooms have white fixtures. I'm not partial either way, but agree that if you're going to have bisque toilet, the other fixtures (sink, tub) should match.

• cindyb_va
    16 years ago

As long as the toilet isn't a trendy color, it doesn't matter at all. And bisque is definitely a classic, neutral decorating color.

Go for it.

• jy_md
    16 years ago

Bisque or white are fine. It's the yellow, green, black, blue colors that are problematic.

• rrah
    16 years ago

Another bisque is fine vote unless the tub and/or sink is white. We have bisque in a couple of our baths with cherry cabinets. The around the tub and floor are a very neutral creamy color. Looks great I think. It really is difficult to tell that it's not white sometimes. It's just not as bright as white. Our children's bath has white tile so white in there.

• alicate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is it okay then to have a bisque color in one bathroom and white in another as long as its a given that the sink matches?

Another question: If the tile in the shower is a bisque/bone color, must the sink and toilet match?

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

I think color is less of an issue than condition. If the toliet, sink and tub are all in good shape and the tile isn't anything too outrageous I think you can get away with almost any color you want, the one exception for most folks is pink fixtures.
    It's when it's obvious that the toliet was just replaced cause it's a different color or the tub is showing it's age but the sink and toliet are still looking fresh that you start to run into resale problems.
    For the most part I think every house that trades hands is a canidate for a makeover by the new owners. What most are interested in when buying is having something respectable to live with for a few years till they are ready to make their own imprint on the house.

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

I cringe when I see a house with outdated colors like pink or blue for the bathroom fixtures

And I cringe at the thought of people tearing out such (usually original) fixtures for the sake of resale. A lot of people don't buy old homes because we can't afford new ones, we buy them because of their character. Those fixtures that many detest are fixtures we "old house lovers" lament if we knew they'd been discarded. ;)

• jy_md
    16 years ago

And I cringe at the thought of people tearing out such (usually original) fixtures for the sake of resale. A lot of people don't buy old homes because we can't afford new ones, we buy them because of their character. Those fixtures that many detest are fixtures we "old house lovers" lament if we knew they'd been discarded. ;)

Sure, replacing old fixtures solely for the sake of selling a house is going a bit far. But if this person is remodeling her bathroom, considering the resale impact of specific colors isn't a bad thing to do.

• rrah
    16 years ago

As to your second question about all the toliets in the house being white or bisque--I don't think they all need to be the same as long as it's the same in a single bath.

Personally I think white would look stark in a room with bone/bisque tiles, but it's a just my preference.

One caveat, though...different brands sometimes have a slightly different appearance with the color bisque. One company's "bisque" might be another company's "bone." The color itself can range from a something slightly off white to a slightly deeper beige. I noticed this when building our home so be sure to see samples of the actual colors.

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

I changed out my white toilet, sink and shower stall and matched them all in bisque. Big mistake! The older white toilet actually flushed properly as the older tank held more water. The updated one piece bisque Kohler for $800 is a POS and constantly clogs. Every other flush must be followed by another flush or plunger! Once a week I fill the adjacent sink and empty it and at the same time flush to ensure the waste is making it to the street. This problem is well known to contractors especially in newer homes which come with water saving toilet tanks. Keep your older white toilet (IMO) and have it refinished.

• alicate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Actually, I have bisque now and it looks fine. The toilet however, is 25 years old and is stained beyond belief and has a smell I can't get rid of. It is going (along with the outdated 80's counter) so I need to know which color I should put in. As I said earlier, I am not planning on moving, just trying to keep resale value in the back of my mind. All of your responses have been extremely helpful. THank you so much!

Alicate

• qdognj
    16 years ago

newjerseybt makes an excellent point about new toilets, they don't do a very good job at all in regards to flushing...I also have experienced many "double" flushes and plunging just to clear the bowl..very annoying...

• alicate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can toilets easily be moved from one bathroom to the next?

• jy_md
    16 years ago

Can toilets easily be moved from one bathroom to the next?

In theory, toilets can be moved from one bathroom to another. I'm not sure I would pay a plumber to do this. Removing and installing toilets is a good DIY project. DH replaced three toilets in our old house and one toilet here. The first one took a bit of time but he's gotten more efficient with each one.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

If you are having trouble with new toilets clearing, it may be the brand, not the flush size.
    I've had no problem with the (white) totos that replaced the 20 year old (mauve and beige)Kohlers in my house.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

In reference to the flushing power of the new low flow toilets, here is a website that rates them: Terry Love plumbing . Most of the top rated toilets are made by Toto.

• granite_grrl
    16 years ago

When I first read the subject I was fearing a lovely toilet like the one we're getting rid of. Orangey-pink, ugh. When looking at new fixtures we almost went with an off white like bone or bisque, but settled on while because we plan on haveing a light bright bathroom.

If those fixtures go well with your cabnits and flooring I see no problem with them.

"And I cringe at the thought of people tearing out such (usually original) fixtures for the sake of resale. A lot of people don't buy old homes because we can't afford new ones, we buy them because of their character. Those fixtures that many detest are fixtures we "old house lovers" lament if we knew they'd been discarded. ;) "

Larzebub, I'm sorry, but those fixture have gots ta go. That shade of pink has to be one of my least favorite colours out there. I'll tell you what...once we get the trio of fixtures out you can go to our local Habitat for Humanity store to pick them up ;).

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

LOL @ granite_grrl! I totally would, but I kind of doubt it would be worth the drive! ;)

Bring on the pink, peach, mint green, etc. I'm all over it.

I'm also cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! :)

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

terriks:

Nice wesite: "Terry Love Plumbing". I have used and love the 2-flush-option Australian toilets!

An idea may be is to have the option of having a .5 gallon flush or a 3.2 gallon(royal)flush as opposed to just a 1.6 gallon flush.

No more clogs and you will also save even more water as most people will be doing far more .5 gallon flushes than a 3.2 gallon flush. Something to ponder while on the throne.

• sue36
    16 years ago

We have never had to "double flush" our Toto or Kohler Cimarron. The Kohler Memoirs is another story.

Old toilets are a huge waste of water.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

We have 3 of the Kohler Cimarrons, and the only family member who has any trouble with them is our teenage son. I think that he may use enough TP to create an oven mitt.

• galore2112
    16 years ago

A regular toilet is so cheap that it shouldn't matter. Of course, if you invested in some fancy Toto throne... But nah, it still isn't difficult to change.

I would never not buy a house because of the toilet. Actually, I haven't seen a bathroom in another house that I wouldn't totally remodel, anyways. What some consider classy, I consider tacky, and vice-versa, I am sure.

• lisannabelle
    16 years ago

I found the attached link extremely helpful for making toilet decisions, I hope you find it useful.

I agree with other posters that the toilet, sink, and bathtub should match, so if you currently have bisque and don't want to re-do the entire bath, I'd stick with bisque. While you probably can't go wrong with white, I don't know that it's necessarily worth the investment to replace everything just to have white fixtures, especially if you like bisque better!

As a matter of personal taste, I strongly dislike bisque and would replace it with white as soon as I could. However, I believe that most people don't feel as strongly about it as I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: MaP Test of Toilet Performance

• mchamb
    11 years ago

Old thread but I have another question. We left our old tub in and have already done the tile work around it. A white sink does not look good with the granite we have already purchased and were thinking of doing sinks in biscuit. WOuld this looks bad with a white toilet and tub? We could still switch out the toilet but given it is right next to the tub, I think those two must match. The sinks are close but since they are down in the counter, I didn't know if this difference of color would show.

I guess our other choice would be to paint the tub. Don't know how hard or expensive that is to do.

Or buy expensive sinks in another material. Our fixtures are brushed nickel so not sure what we would go with as far as another material. PLus this is a kids bathroom so not sure I want that expense in this room. Opinions?