Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Good agents vs. bad agents

weedyacres
11 years ago

I'm discovering that's is possible to tell a lot about an agent from going to open houses. Here are some things that make me cross an agent of my list--and some that made me add them to it. Feel free to add your own.

Bad agents:

1. Send someone else in their place that doesn't know anything about the house. I understand that some heavy listers can't be everywhere at once, so they enlist aid, but some don't bother to make sure the stand-in knows anything. Here are some actual exchanges:

Me: Do you want some feedback?

Agent: (shrugs) It's not my listing. It's Janice's.

Me: Do you think she wants feedback?

Agent: I guess you could tell me if you want.

Me: (shaking head incredulously) How did she (the listing agent) come up with the price?

Agent: I don't know, maybe the seller insisted. It's probably about $100,000 too high.

If you're not making the effort to present the house well for someone else, you probably won't for me either.

2. Doesn't make sure the house looks good for open house. Yes, I realize it's technically the owner's responsibility, but you need to be a better coach. I've seen vacant houses with weeds in the beds, cobwebs on the windows and trim, and without heat or air turned on sufficiently in advance to make the house comfortable for showing.

If you ignore this stuff, you either don't have the attention to detail that will market my house in the best light, or you're lazy.

3. Leave before the open house is over. Yes, I've showed up at open houses 15 minutes before the end and sign is gone, door is locked.

Someone who comes late and leaves early...not who I want working for me.

4. Watch TV, talk on the phone, or text while people are walking through. No, you should be selling.

OK, I'll balance this out with good ones.

1. Talk to each person that comes through. Introduce the house up front BRIEFLY and ask them for feedback when they leave, even if they're not a potential buyer. Here's a good exchange.

Me: Do you want some feedback?

Agent: Yes, please.

Me: It's got a gorgeous view, but with the work it needs to update it, it's significantly overpriced.

Agent: Thank you. I'll make sure to pass this along to the owner.

Note that he didn't agree with me or down-talk the house, though I'm sure he was biting his tongue.

2. Have lots of info about the house to answer questions. One agent I saw had a map of the land showing proximity to neighboring houses. Our agents had before and after photos of our house to show buyers who said "this was built in 1994?" so they could talk up all the upgrades.

3. Stay late. Our agents had an appointment across town right after our open house, but stayed another 15 minutes because a buyer was lingering and asking questions.

Any other insights or experience to add?

Comments (2)