Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

What do you think of this brochure?

weedyacres
11 years ago

Our agents are putting together a 12-page, full color brochure on our house to put in the info box. They sent me the draft. I need your feedback on one of the pages. They took a "once upon a time" approach in an attempt to create an emotional pull. It's a somewhat fabricated tale of how Mr. and Mrs. Weedy (using our first names) went looking for a house with X and Y and Z, saw the "good bones, ugly finishes" house, bought it and remodeled it. And now it's pretty and they're going to miss A and B and C about it. It's more flowery than that, but that's the gist of the content.

Doesn't that violate the RE maxim that you should de-personalize a house so that others can picture themselves living there? Am I being too picky? Or do I have reason to think this might not have the desired impact?

Comments (16)

• C Marlin
    11 years ago

12 pages? sounds like too much info, I know that isn't what you asked.
    I don't like cutesy, but that is me.

• sweet_tea
    11 years ago

I dont like the personal details in general. However, I see their point somewhat for your situation. Your purchase price is a lot lower than your asking price and you owned the home for a short period.

All your potential buyers are going to know this since purchase price and date are public record. Buyers and their realtors will wonder if you are trying to make a massive profit on them. They will wonder if you are a flipper.

Your realtor is trying to circumvent your buyers from feeling like you are making a big profit off them. Your realtor is telling buyers that you 1) put lots of money into the home since you purchased it and 2) you put the money into the home because you wanted to improve the home for your needs...NOT because you were looking to make a quit profit from some unsuspecting buyers.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

12 pages is 11 pages too much. I'm already second guessing this real estate team. Seems like they are trying gimmicks and stunts in the name busywork to please a demanding seller rather than doing the important stuff that actually works like pricing it right and putting enough in focus pictures on the MLS.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Honestly, I think 12 pages is at least 10 pages too many.

One of the qualms I had about your original FSBO website was that you showed so much that there wasn't much left to intrigue people to come out and see the place in person. Since the personal visit was what would most likely do the trick in snagging a buyer, I thought you might possibly be losing potential buyers. You risk giving so much info that it allows them to "see" (or think they've seen) and reject your house for unknown, and possibly incorrect or trivial reasons.

It's one thing to have a fuller take-home flyer in the house. But you have to get them in the door, and invested enough to take the tour before they can get so much detail.

I am questioning the marketing smarts of this team - not their enthusiasm, just their experience in selling. Most people experienced in sales know that offering too much product info too early in the sales process without requiring some investment (in this case time spent visiting) on the part of the potential buyer disrupts the flow and increases the chances of rejection.

You have to understand that while you hope to sell the house at this point it has to be all about them, not about you. Since without them, you can't get what you want. And from the buyers' point of view, they don't really want to think of anybody else being in "their" house. Certainly not people having a stronger connection to the place than they have, at least at the outset. I think the awareness of both parties of the others' claim to the same property is one of the psychological underpinings of so much emotional hoo-ha that surrounds RE deals. (You know, the "unrealistic sellers" and "overly-demanding buyers" that are the constant villains in the sagas here on this forum.)

I have forgotten, are you under the gun to move to MA for a new job? Or just selling to move to different local place? (Sorry I'm sure you said before.)

Unless the agents have proven experience closing sales with these types of flyers, I would be question whether it was a good idea. And if it is created, never have it in the outdoor info box. (It would be a big security risk as well, if you are still living in the house, IMO.) If they want to give the seller a more-detailed flyer during the visit that might be OK. But anything you give them has the risk that it highlights a "feature" that hadn't struck them before that they just hate, queering the deal.

Hope my thoughts are helpful in sorting out your plans.

L.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

You are in the MLS, with hopefully a smart price. Sit back and relax.
    A cloudy sky vs. a blue sky, a wet driveway vs. a dry one, a 12 page flyer vs. a one page flyer, is not going to determine if a buyer thinks the home fits their criteria, and therefore make an appointment to come take a look. If the pictures in the MLS look like a style that the buyer can see themselves in and most of the criteria is on their side, they will come visit.
    I personally would not put a 12 page flyer in the flyer box, but I do sometimes make a thorough flyer for the inside of the home. The last home I sold, I did not make an indoor pamphlet at all because I convinced the seller that the home would sell fast no matter what we did, flyer wise. Some homes are just like that.
    I do like the fact that these agents understand that when buyers are looking at homes, they are using their analytical side of their brains. They are analyzing the home's mechanicals, the structure, the appliances, the amenities, the price, the location... A buyer in this state will never get to the step of making an offer. (investors excluded). You have to get the buyer to stop thinking analytically and get them to start thinking emotionally about the home. Once a buyer crosses this line, and not until then, will they make an offer. Hopefully this is what your agents are attempting to do with their flyer. But, I do this while the buyer IS IN THE HOME, not when they are in the car driving to the next home, which is when real buyers read flyers. I put out acrylic placards that highlight hidden features, that help the buyers envision what it is like livingthere on a daily basis. Even if I state a fact (analytical) on these placards, I always tie it back to an emotional statement, trying to get the buyer's state of mind to cross from the analytical to the emotional.
    These agents, nor any other agent, is going to do the exact smae thing that you would do, as far as the details are concerned. It does not matter. As long as it is priced smartly, is being exposed to ready, able and willing buyers, you will get an offer.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

12 Pages seems like way to much. The biggest I remember seeing was a 4 page (11x17 folded).

I think it is possible to give too much information. The last house we sold I just did a one page flyer with a couple pics, and some text to explain what was inside like:
    Renovated kitchen with Stainless Steel Appliances
    Renovated master bath with new tiled walk-in shower.
    All new carpet.
    Dual heat (oil & coal)
    etc etc.

MLS Number & Realtor contact info.

• rrah
    11 years ago

The most impressive flyer I've seen in upscale homes was a two-sided color flyer printed on a good quality card stock. The printing was very high quality. Both sides contained pictures and text which highlighted the special qualities of the home and updates. When buyers are seeing many homes it's easy for regular paper to get lost in the shuffle and ignored. The one printed on card stock was a bit harder to lose. They were also printed horizontally rather than vertically. Just a subtle thing that forces buyers to pay more attention in a sea of vertically printed sheets.

Does your agent have access to any kind of call capture system? A call capture system automatically allows for a text or call from the sign to get information and delivers the number of the caller/texter to the agent. The agent can follow up with those drive bys as opposed to never knowing who takes a flyer.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I would try to get across the concept without the cornball approach they are presenting to you.

• deegw
    11 years ago

As a buyer, when I see effusive descriptions about a house the first thing I think is - emotional seller. The second thing I think is - high maintenance seller.

I don't think this about you but that's the message a 12 page brochure would send to me.

• portwest
    11 years ago

I'm afraid I agree with some of the other posters here that the brochure is too much. If I were a buyer and was given this brochure, I'd think you were far too attached to the decor that you'd installed and that maybe your sale was an attempt to "flip" the home for a profit. It would really put me off.

• ncrealestateguy
    11 years ago

IMO, you guys are reading waaay too much into this.
    If you went to a new car showroom and test drove a car, and it met your criteria, and you loved it,and it was priced right, you'd buy it no matter what the brochure was like. Same for Weedy's house.

• C Marlin
    11 years ago

I agree NCRE, I wouldn't walk away because I counted 12 pages, but I think is sends a negative message, no reason to do anything negative.
    Of course I know you can't please everyone, but I've never seen 12 pages and I've looked at many mult-million houses with no more than a double sided flashy brochure. Yes, photos are top notch, good write up but not 12 pages, what can one put on twelve pages?

• User
    11 years ago

A 12 page brochure not only says "emotional, high maintenance seller," it also says "desperate or inexperienced agent." I personally think it is overkill, and would not allow them to use a schtick story in the brochure. If a house needs a storybook narrative to sell, it is overpriced. Pictures and factual descriptions comprise a good brochure, which is meant to be informative rather than a psychological pull at ones heartstrings.

Contrary to some opinions, there are buyers who make analytical decisions when purchasing a home. And in any case, you cannot induce emotion in a buyer. That happens when they fall in love with the house, not you.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

The 12 pager is probably meant for the people who walk through the house to take with them, not the info box. It still comes across as too much.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Good value for the price and on the MLS sells. If you're trying to use anything else to "sell", then it means that you aren't hitting that good value, which is the PRIMARY reason people buy homes. I think you're missing a really big point here. Marketing only helps with exposure. It doesn't "sell". If you have to work so hard to convince buyers that you are right for them, then something is wrong with either the goods being priced, or the amount of exposure they are getting. You've fixed the exposure issue with the MLS. Fix the price issue, and the sale will take care of itself.

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

It does seem like too much.