Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FHA Idenity of Interest

Posted by gaylemh (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 20:38

Can someone please explain this to me.

My daughter wants to purchase my primary residence. She doesn't live in the house. I had it listed with the real estate agent for 6 months, but it didn't sell. I told my daughter I would sell it to her, but all she qualifies for is a FHA loan. I see different information on line about it, some sites say they will only aprove 85% of the value. Other sites say that as long as it's going to be a primary residence you can still close with 3.5%.

Does anyone know exactly what the rules are with this? I'd like to know if she would be able to buy with 3.5 down, before we get the lawyers involved, and have to pay lawyer fees, and not be able to purchase the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FHA Idenity of Interest

Talk to a loan officer.

o
RE: FHA Idenity of Interest

Typically, you can qualify for 3.5% under certain conditions; but in addition to your daughter's ceiling for the amount she can borrow, the FHA will have a ceiling for the county (typically) the home is in. They may also have a minimum down payment limit based on the market you're selling in.

In my county, the maximum FHA mortgage is 385K. If your house was in my county and priced at 350K (and your daughter's income supported the monthlies and other qualifications), she could probably buy with 3.5% down. However, if your house was $500K, she would need to come up with at least $115K down to make up the difference between the FHA max and your selling price (again, assuming her income would support a $385K mortgage).

This is all easily answered by calling a mortgage broker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here