Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

Marketing/ selling a historic property

After 30 years, 25 of steady renovations/ improvements, we are ready to sell our National Register (c. 1865) home. No realtors, yet, we'd like to give it a try by ourselves. I've found info about advertising on oldhouses.com and historicproperties.com. We live near a major road, so I will put a huge sign on the part of our property that faces this. We will also let our local historical society know that it is up for sale (they did the home's submission in 1987).

Any other ideas?

Oh, someone on the "old home" forum suggested listing on Zillow, FSBO.

Comments (5)

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

We sold our late 1800s home by ourselves this summer. I found we got most of our interest from our Craigslist posting and also from posting on our local university housing postings site. Good luck!

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations! :)

The Craigslist suggestion surprises me since I've only tried to sell things on Craigslist before such as furniture, and it has never been a good experience. Few responses, people promising to pick the item up and not showing (I can't tell you how many times this happened...), so I doubt I'd have the same experience as you. :( Plus we live in a rural area, about an hour away from the nearest university.

Any more suggestions? Would a newspaper classified ad be worth the cost or, as a friend told me, does nobody even read the newspapers any longer?

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

We also live in a 100+ year old home, a Colonial. We also will be selling FSBO when we do sell in a few years (retirement). Haven't had a positive experience yet with any of the realtors we have hired to sell previous homes. Many "paper" newspapers also have on-line versions of the same thing. You might look into that. Craigslist is a good suggestion. Seeing as how most buyers are now looking on-line to see what is available in the market first, check out as many as you can find. See if they suit your needs. Zillow, Trulia, etc. Also look at how they advertise the homes on those sites. Don't have too many pictures, keep your description, clear but short. You want to peak buyers interest to come see your home. They may pass it by if they see every square inch of your home already in pictures and description. Wishing you the best, because my husband and I will be doing the same thing in a handful of years! NancyLouise

• foodfiend_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am very wary of having strangers tramp through my home (we also are in a rural location, a bit remote) so I wanted to put as many photos and as detailed description on the online sites as I can. I am thinking that if it isn't what someone wants,they will be able to determine this from the online information-- Is this a bad idea?

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Foodfiend,
    To be honest, I'm not sure if you will like trying to sell your home yourself. The truth is, when you're not a realtor, you don't always have the same ability to 'weed out' the looky loos. The fact is you Will have complete strangers tramping through your house if you are trying to sell you house. Really the only decision is whether you want to market to and deal with them yourself, or if you'd rather turn that over to a realtor who can more efficiently screen buyers as well as attract people who are the most likely to be interested in your home.

We did end up selling our house, and it didn't take very long. However, we did have quite a few showings to people who, despite me having a lot of clear information and good photos of the house, still came to see it and then said it was too big, too small, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that the fact you are not a fan of using craigslist to market the home and don't want lots of strangers coming through tells me maybe you'd be happier going with a realtor to whom you could entrust both the marketing and showing of your home. Just my two cents!