Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about BUYING a home that was "given" back to the bank.

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 17:36

We are going to look at a foreclosure tomorrow or Tuesday.
This is one of the situations where the owner "gave the house back" with a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure.

Does this opens us up to any special issues since the property did not transfer in a normal foreclosure.

Could any judgements or liens against the owner still be attached to the property?

These would come up in a title search correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about BUYING a home that was "given" back to the ban

After the deed in Lieu and the bank etc the deed in their name, all the liens are taken care of. You should not have any problems. Concentrate more on he condition, pricing etc.

o

Thank Kabir,

And after posting I thought about this more last night, and realized that a bank is not going to accept a Deed in Lieu if there were other liens on the property etc.

I looked up the Deed and read through the whole thing and found these paragraphs.

7. No work, labor or materials have been supplied to the Property upon which anyone could base a mechanic's lien, equitable lien, or any other type of lien against the Property which have not been fully paid for.

8. Seller owns the Property in fee simple, or has valid leasehold title to the Property and the Property is free of any unpaid liens or judgments. Seller further represents and warrants that, upon the execution of the Deed, Lender will acquire and have good, marketable, and indefeasible title to the Property.

From what we have seen so far condition is terrible. There is a tarp on the roof. The cedar siding has been neglected and is weathered and split. The top of the chimney is missing. Gutter is falling off. Grass hasn't been maintained all summer. Real Estate listing starts with "Enter at your own risk".

Woo Hoo! I can't wait to see the inside ;)

o

I'm not an expert by any means, but please get a knowledgeable lawyer involved in the transaction to make sure you're protected. It's one thing for the seller to make representations to the lender that there are no other liens and another thing for there to actually be clear title.

o

Not going to happen.

Went up to look at it today. Definitely a tear down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here