Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacesmom2

Please critique my FSBO

jacesmom2
10 years ago

We built our home for $385k in 2009 and are listing our home for $399k, willing to negotiate. The comps in our neighborhood are around 350k. However, these homes don't include landscaping, side-load garage, central vac, whole house stereo, upgraded appliances and a large lot. We've had 2 low-ball offers but are willing to be patient since we don't have to move. My question is did the builder overcharge us? I'm hoping to at least get what we paid for the house but I realize it's based on the market, which is excellent right now. I'm just wondering why our home is not selling. Please critique my listing. Thank you!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9911-Crystal-Water-Cir-Lincoln-NE-68527/101712315_zpid/

Comments (10)

• rrah
    10 years ago

Of all the things you listed, the only one that might have real value in a higher listing price is the larger lot.

How much larger is it? If you're going from lots about 1/4 to 1/3 acre to your .46 acres, it will not make much difference. They are all typical suburban type lots.

The side load garage, stereo, central vac are all nice, but they won't add value to an appraisal.

Your listing says the basement has two bedrooms. Are there only two bedrooms on the main level? This could be a problem for people with children.

Did the builder overcharge you? I assume you had an appraisal that supported the price. People do often pay an initial premium for a Parade home, but that premium doesn't often translate into a higher sale price later.
    I also notice there are lots of vacant lots near your house. That can hurt you as others may wish to build. I also see brand new houses with similar amenities for less $.

Your house is overpriced compared to the competition. Two buyers have told you that with low offers. If you don't need to sell now, wait a couple of years. It's hard to get out of a house and break even in 4 short years.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

If there is new construction still being built in the neighborhood, that are comparable to yours, it has been my experience that buyers will purchase the new home first, even if they are priced equally.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, although your lot may be bigger, it doesn't look bigger from the Zillow overhead picture, especially since that long pointy triangle in your backyard is not very useful.

Your house looks beautiful, but what strikes me odd right off the bat is the first picture. Where is the front door? Appears like a picture of one of the sides of the house.

Also, remove the fuzzy picture for now until you get a chance to retake it. I'm sure others will chime in with help on your photos, such as decluttering nearly all of them, but they're not bad at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: OP's Zillow Listing

• OttawaGardener
    10 years ago

Beautiful home! However, some of the rooms seem cluttered. Maybe open the shower curtains? Is "steel appliances" the correct term (or stainless steel)? Personally, I hate "boasts" in any description ("Front exterior boasts natural stone...") From the birds-eye view, it seems there are no trees, which would be a big negative for me.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

I think you've done a very nice job with the photos. The only one I would change is the first one -- change the camera angle so that the tree does not obscure the front door. Your back patio would sell me on the house!

• User
    10 years ago

A house that cost 385K to build in a neighborhood of new 350K houses is a used 340K house when it's time to sell it. Not a 399K house. You are WAY overpriced for your market. Those "lowballs"? Better jump on them. Or pull it off the market for a few years. People pay a premium to build new. It costs more to build than the home is "worth" usually. Then, the older it gets, it's price starts going down to fit the neighborhood it's in, not up. Especially when compared to other new construction. Upgrades mean very little when the home itself isn't in a higher priced neighborhood. You get to enjoy them, but others won't pay for them when you go to sell. They are an expense, not an investment.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

The house and property looks really nice and I would go look at it based on the listing, but as others have said I think you are overpriced as nothing you have mentioned over other houses would give you much extra in an appraisal. They are nice and sets your house apart, but it doesn't make your house worth that much more. Also not sure I'd want a house backing up to the road like yours does. To me that would be a price adjustment in the down direction, or maybe your amenities vs. other homes would offset that drawback.

Unless somebody is paying cash or have a lot of cash available to put down on the house an appraisal contingency would be part of the offer and no bank will loan more than 80% of that so you'd need to find a buyer willing to make the difference up in cash. Have you had an appraisal done yourself? It might be worth it to see how you really stack up and how much the amenities you mentioned really are worth.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

You have a beautiful house. I suggest you open the shower curtains so people can see the tubs. When they are closed it looks like you are hiding something.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

The shower curtain idea is excellent. No one cares that you picked out a pretty curtain. Open it up and it opens up the room.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

When you open the shower curtains to take new pictures, turn on the shower light and see if that makes the shower look brighter in the picture. In the bathroom with the glass shower door: turn on the shower light, roll up the TP so it's neater. Put the large white towels away for the pictures. (They're nice and white and clean but kind of distracting IMO.) Take most of the stuff off the bathroom counters, including the almost empty soap dispenser (in the bathroom with the striped curtain.)

I'm not sure the picture with the treadmill does the room justice, because it looks like the treadmill takes up most of the floor space but that's probably just the camera angle. Try it a couple of ways: without treadmill; put some arm chairs and a small table in there; different angles through the doors. See which picture makes the room show best.