Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet Rems

Posted by utahman (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 17:06

Could the fact that every room in a house has a different carpet contribute to it not selling? Case in point: house on market for 9 months. Multiple showings, and a few low-ball offers. Home is upgraded with granite in kithen and baths (up and down). Hardwood at entry and in kitchen. Only thing I can surmise is the carpet remnants the house is showered with. Navy carpet in one room, beige in another, green with maroon border in yet another...literally every room in the house has a different color carpet. Is that why house is not selling? I know price may factor in also, as with the 20K price drop many more showings, but still no workable offers...your input?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet Rems

The carpet could well be a problem. Can you replace it? What feedback have you gotten from your showings?

If you can post a link to your listing with photos, we'll be glad to provide feedback about how it presents.

o

If the house has been on the market for 9 months, and you've received " a few low-ball offers", are you sure those offers were low-ball?

o

There could be more going on than just the carpet. The carpet would be a big turnoff to most. While I would buy a house knowing that I'm replacing the carpet, many would not. The carpet colors mentioned would be hard to decorate around for most people. IMO, different colors of carpet could make you look desperate as a seller.

I'd replace the carpet. I think it would be a lot less expensive to do than dropping the price.

As mentioned, you can post pictures here if you would like further opinions. There may be other things that might be an easy fix that are a turnoff to buyers.

o

You can get really cheap carpet on the roll at HD, Lowes, etc. It's not rest-of-your-life carpet, but it's decent and neutral. It wouldn't cost very much and it would look fresh and new for a while, anyway.

o

I sold my home and moved into my spouse's when we married and he had a different carpet in nearly every room because everyone chose their own bedroom decors. Different patterned wallpaper as well. I found it very unsettling, even though I loved the home in every other way. Each room was lovely (if the door was shut to the next) but with the doors open it was a migraine waiting to happen. One bedroom had blue carpet abutting a bedroom with dark red, abutting a rec room with orange. They didn't even coordinate.

o

I'm in the flooring business. You get a lot of bang for your buck by doing new flooring. It will update the whole look. Personally, I don't mind all different color carpets, but I wouldn't want THOSE colors. However, cosmetics never stop me from buying a house. They'll cause me to offer less though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Buying and Selling Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here